The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Zalewski | C/LW

Joel Heyman

5 hours ago, JamesB said:

Nice to see. Z. looks potentially valuable. The guys in Utica have been saying good things about his improvement since last year. He has size, speed, is willing to contribute to the physical game, is solid defensively, has pretty good offensive skills and seems to have a great attitude. He is 23 so he does not have a lot of likely improvement coming, but with a bit more development it looks like he could play on the Canucks next year, maybe 4C. He looked good in his brief stint with the Canucks this year.

I don't know how you could put a ceiling on this guy. He has grown more in 1 season than I've ever seen any player grow. It's as though he looked at Jannik Hansen and said I'm going to be like this guy...and then he turned into that guy. I agree that he's making a good case for 4th line centerman.

5 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

I don't know how you could put a ceiling on this guy. He has grown more in 1 season than I've ever seen any player grow. It's as though he looked at Jannik Hansen and said I'm going to be like this guy...and then he turned into that guy. I agree that he's making a good case for 4th line centerman.

Some guys are late developers. Maybe Z. is one of those guys. But, just looking at the overall NHL data, most guys are fairly close to their peak performance by about about 23 or 24. (The actual average peak year for forwards is at age 27, but typically the range of about 24 to 31 is pretty similar and corresponds to the period of peak performance.)

As I indicated, some guys are outliers or late developers but, just going with percentages, Z is probably near the end of his period of rapid improvement. If he follows the typical pattern he should still have some improvement left before he hits his ceiling and that might be enough to make him a good NHL 4th liner.

Mike Z had 2 goals, 1 assist, a +3 and 6 shots on goal tonight but the stats don't even tell the whole story. He controlled this game and was the most dominating player on the ice. The puck was constantly on his stick at both ends of the ice. As dominating of a performance as I've seen in some time.

Just now, UticaHockey said:

Mike Z had 2 goals, 1 assist, a +3 and 6 shots on goal tonight but the stats don't even tell the whole story. He controlled this game and was the most dominating player on the ice. The puck was constantly on his stick at both ends of the ice. As dominating of a performance as I've seen in some time.

Sounds like that short call up has given him some extra motivation. I love that we're calling up several Utica players. This new management understands that you need to give young guys a taste of the pro game.

A quick note on development and Mike's age.  Mike did not play any real minor or junior hockey (around here that would be Syracuse Nationals or Syracuse Stars) and instead played for his local high school team, which is a much lower standard.  His Dad often says he should have put him into a more competitive environment sooner, so he is a late bloomer in part because he wasn't even playing AAA hockey until late. So his 23 is more like others' 21. He has plenty more upside.  If he keeps developing his offense like this, he will find a spot in the big show.

UticaHockey is right on, it looked like the Mike Z show out there tonight.  Face-offs, forecheck, back check, passing, shooting, PP, PK.  The puck was on his stick all the time.  He actually had an open net to shoot on for his hat trick tonight in the third period but somebody just stuck a stick in the way and miraculously deflected the shot over the net.  I know some Canucks admin people were in town tonight for the game (AHL All Star game is in Syracuse), but I didn't see Willy, Benning or Trevor.  Hope they and Travis, who was double shifting Z tonight, are calling those guys right now.  Z just flew by the Amerks D man for that short handed goal.  That Shinkaruk, Z, Gaunce line was scary good.  Give Gaunce credit for a sweet assist on Z's second goal.  

9 minutes ago, hobart16 said:

A quick note on development and Mike's age.  Mike did not play any real minor or junior hockey (around here that would be Syracuse Nationals or Syracuse Stars) and instead played for his local high school team, which is a much lower standard.  His Dad often says he should have put him into a more competitive environment sooner, so he is a late bloomer in part because he wasn't even playing AAA hockey until late. So his 23 is more like others' 21. He has plenty more upside.  If he keeps developing his offense like this, he will find a spot in the big show.

UticaHockey is right on, it looked like the Mike Z show out there tonight.  Face-offs, forecheck, back check, passing, shooting, PP, PK.  The puck was on his stick all the time.  He actually had an open net to shoot on for his hat trick tonight in the third period but somebody just stuck a stick in the way and miraculously deflected the shot over the net.  I know some Canucks admin people were in town tonight for the game (AHL All Star game is in Syracuse), but I didn't see Willy, Benning or Trevor.  Hope they and Travis, who was double shifting Z tonight, are calling those guys right now.  Z just flew by the Amerks D man for that short handed goal.  That Shinkaruk, Z, Gaunce line was scary good.  Give Gaunce credit for a sweet assist on Z's second goal.  

I have to admit that I am biased about Mike Zalewski being a local kid. I saw him win the New York State High School Championship at the Aud. I watched his sister dominant the boys in youth hockey and more than hold her own in high school.

But just because I'm proud to see a local kid do great I'm not making it up when I say that Mike Z has the potential to be a very good NHL player. I Truly believe he is the best player on the team and will only get better as he's continues to develop.

1 minute ago, UticaHockey said:

I have to admit that I am biased about Mike Zalewski being a local kid. I saw him win the New York State High School Championship at the Aud. I watched his sister dominant the boys in youth hockey and more than hold her own in high school.

But just because I'm proud to see a local kid do great I'm not making it up when I say that Mike Z has the potential to be a very good NHL player. I Truly believe he is the best player on the team and will only get better as he's continues to develop.

Same here.  My kids played against Mike and his brother Steven.  There were a lot of good players around at the time like Nick Palmieri who is in Italy playing, and Starzcewski who played at West Point, and a bunch of kids who went on to play D3.  Mike has really been carrying the Comets though some tough times this year and all the Canucks injuries may have helped him because Travis had to rely on him for everything.  When Mike jumped by the D tonight and was opening up space with each stride and then calmly picked the blocker side corner, I was wondering what he had for lunch today because I want some of that.  Don't you have to pick him for shootouts now too if you are Travis Green? 

34 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

He seems to be on the path to join Tanev and Horvat as Mike Gillis' NHL prospect legacy. And that's not to exclude Gaunce and Shinkaruk, but it looks like Zalewski has the inside track right now. Very impressive.

If Gillis had invested more time into the prospects earlier in his term, instead of near the end as a way to salvage his sinking career here, maybe things would have turned out differently for him, and the franchise. Just food for thought.

40 minutes ago, hobart16 said:

Same here.  My kids played against Mike and his brother Steven.  There were a lot of good players around at the time like Nick Palmieri who is in Italy playing, and Starzcewski who played at West Point, and a bunch of kids who went on to play D3.  Mike has really been carrying the Comets though some tough times this year and all the Canucks injuries may have helped him because Travis had to rely on him for everything.  When Mike jumped by the D tonight and was opening up space with each stride and then calmly picked the blocker side corner, I was wondering what he had for lunch today because I want some of that.  Don't you have to pick him for shootouts now too if you are Travis Green? 

Should it not be WD deciding if Mike takes shoot outs for the ?Big Club?  The guy is clearly a much better player than Vey.  Why is he not with the Canucks?

6 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Give the kid a taste an look what he goes out and does.  I like.

He will need to take Vey's spot.  Is that really going to happen with WD's love of Vey?  Here is when we see if WD has pissed of JB and TL beyond repair.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

He will need to take Vey's spot.  Is that really going to happen with WD's love of Vey?  Here is when we see if WD has pissed of JB and TL beyond repair.

Seriously, WD's so called love of Vey is way overblown.  The kid has some talent and a decent past.  They took a flyer on him but at this point, I don't think he's coming back.  He is down the depth chart for 3C and doesn't have the size for 4C.  Zalewski is looking good and Cracknell plays a heavy game that they like.  So, Vey doesn't have a spot moving forward.

5 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Seriously, WD's so called love of Vey is way overblown.  The kid has some talent and a decent past.  They took a flyer on him but at this point, I don't think he's coming back.  He is down the depth chart for 3C and doesn't have the size for 4C.  Zalewski is looking good and Cracknell plays a heavy game that they like.  So, Vey doesn't have a spot moving forward.

I agree, but what if JB and TL bring  Zalewski up now?  Behind closed doors can't you hear WD saying Zalewski is in for Vey, but then putting Vey on the lineup sheet?  He already did that with Prust over Virtanen.

Archived