The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Zalewski | C/LW

Joel Heyman

Unlike Gaunce, Zalewski is waiver eligible. I think the Canucks can sneak him down but I honestly think that he's got a legit shot at the 4th line.

If anything, Etem and Granlund haven't shown/proven enough to make them locks for the Canucks roster despite the price tags paid to get them here... Willie D will pick the best players period and I think Zalewski has a legit shot.

Besides, during his callup last season, I thought Zalewski looked really good. And he, like Gaunce, plays Wing and Centre.

The asset management side of me would say that if Zalewski and Gaunce are on par for a spot to give the spot to Zalewski (so we don't risk him on waivers) with Gaunce being the first call-up.

3 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Unlike Gaunce, Zalewski is waiver eligible. I think the Canucks can sneak him down but I honestly think that he's got a legit shot at the 4th line.

If anything, Etem and Granlund haven't shown/proven enough to make them locks for the Canucks roster despite the price tags paid to get them here... Willie D will pick the best players period and I think Zalewski has a legit shot.

Besides, during his callup last season, I thought Zalewski looked really good. And he, like Gaunce, plays Wing and Centre.

The asset management side of me would say that if Zalewski and Gaunce are on par for a spot to give the spot to Zalewski (so we don't risk him on waivers) with Gaunce being the first call-up.

Agree with you Q,  but I do like Granlunds back check, perhaps a Granlund, Guance Zalewski combo would look good.

Be Surprised if WD doesn't tweak a couple lines in the 3rd,..  Or perhaps I won't be surprised ;) 

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He's young?

Younger than both of us Alf.

12 hours ago, SilentSam said:

This young mans thread is getting buried here..   Having a strong show tonight in preseason against the Oilers.. Strong, fearless, and can skate. Hope he sticks, is having a good game. Giver Mike!

Add a physical side as well. Really liked his game last night.

13 hours ago, Quantum said:

Could be 13th too where I'd be less concerned he was not getting minutes vs Gaunce who I'd prefer play bigger minutes in Utica between those two options (Canucks press box or Utica's 1st line).

He quietly had a superb night.  Was good in the draws, was physical when he had too and he was forechecking like a maniac last night.  Rodin's powerplay goal doesn't happen without him being ferocious on the draw.

I'd definitely keep him as the 13th forward.

Emerson should be sweating right now.  Gaunce and Zalewski are both poised to take the 12th and 13th spot away which could leave him exposed

14 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Agree with you Q,  but I do like Granlunds back check, perhaps a Granlund, Guance Zalewski combo would look good.

That's what I've been hankering for, too.  Zalewski wasn't particularly noticeable last night and showed better last year, but he's got that fast, dogged, and heavy game to him like Gaunce does now.  Granlund could do quite well with them grinding out the corners, as well as providing speed on the rush, giving us even a 3b with guys that are effective on the PK.  Waiver eligibility is the kicker, and it would be a shame to lose him in order to keep an Etem or Burrows on the roster.

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

He quietly had a superb night.  Was good in the draws, was physical when he had too and he was forechecking like a maniac last night.  Rodin's powerplay goal doesn't happen without him being ferocious on the draw.

I'd definitely keep him as the 13th forward.

Emerson should be sweating right now.  Gaunce and Zalewski are both poised to take the 12th and 13th spot away which could leave him exposed

19 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

That's what I've been hankering for, too.  Zalewski wasn't particularly noticeable last night and showed better last year, but he's got that fast, dogged, and heavy game to him like Gaunce does now.  Granlund could do quite well with them grinding out the corners, as well as providing speed on the rush, giving us even a 3b with guys that are effective on the PK.  Waiver eligibility is the kicker, and it would be a shame to lose him in order to keep an Etem or Burrows on the roster.

Agree with both of you,  lots of pressure on Etem and Burrows.. Management has some tough decisions ahead.

5 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Agree with both of you,  lots of pressure on Etem and Burrows.. Management has some tough decisions ahead.

28 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Man... I'd forgotten about Burrows :ph34r:

My prediction from like last year that he could very well end up in Utica might just happen at this rate. Guys are pushing HARD for spots.

5 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Well I think you nailed right there. I would even add Dorsett. I'm not suggesting that all three would be gone but one might be. We all know that there is a trading period over the first 20 NHL games as GM's evaluate their rosters. I suspect Jimmy might have a deal or two up his sleeve. Fans are getting excited but the Canucks are still in the rebuild stage and Benning has a little more ammunition to deal with.   

7 hours ago, J.R. said:

Man... I'd forgotten about Burrows :ph34r:

My prediction from like last year that he could very well end up in Utica might just happen at this rate. Guys are pushing HARD for spots.

I think Shaw will be a nightmare for the Habs, and they will regret not inquiring about Burrows.. Alex Burrows would come alive in Montreal.

• 3 weeks later...

This guy may not have the name, but he's got the game. If he can show that last year was the real Mike Z, then he should be our first call up. Hard-nosed, forechecking, PK center/right winger, who can play up and down your lineup with speed and good playmaking ability. He's Hansen's replacement after the expansion draft or trade. All he needs is a shot. He never gives up and he brings the most valuable quality... consitency

4 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

This guy may not have the name, but he's got the game. If he can show that last year was the real Mike Z, then he should be our first call up. Hard-nosed, forechecking, PK center/right winger, who can play up and down your lineup with speed and good playmaking ability. He's Hansen's replacement after the expansion draft or trade. All he needs is a shot. He never gives up and he brings the most valuable quality... consitency

I consider Zalewski the #1 call up followed by Labate. I would love to see these two with 25 - 40 games this year. 

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Interesting. Wonder if this means the Canucks didn't file a waiver claim on Etem?

They waived Etem to lose him so why take him back unless they can get him to Utica? Love to see Zalewski get a call and LaBate when he comes off suspension. Send Virtanen down for a month.

17 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

They waived Etem to lose him so why take him back unless they can get him to Utica? Love to see Zalewski get a call and LaBate when he comes off suspension. Send Virtanen down for a month.

I think the odds are good no one else claims Etem so it's worth a shot at getting him down to the Comets. Agreed on Virtanen. He looks like he needs some AHL time (although sending him now might seem like punishment for his media comments).

I'd probably claim Etem (hopefully as the only team filing), try him for a game or two, and then assign to AHL (unless he's playing well in Vancouver).

Call up Zalewski (and maybe LaBate) a little later on, depending on the roster numbers due to injury status and the situation with Etem.

But we'll know more in about half an hour or so.

Archived