Sign in to follow this  
Joel Heyman

Mike Zalewski | C/LW

5 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

That's what I've been hankering for, too.  Zalewski wasn't particularly noticeable last night and showed better last year, but he's got that fast, dogged, and heavy game to him like Gaunce does now.  Granlund could do quite well with them grinding out the corners, as well as providing speed on the rush, giving us even a 3b with guys that are effective on the PK.  Waiver eligibility is the kicker, and it would be a shame to lose him in order to keep an Etem or Burrows on the roster.

Well I think you nailed right there. I would even add Dorsett. I'm not suggesting that all three would be gone but one might be. We all know that there is a trading period over the first 20 NHL games as GM's evaluate their rosters. I suspect Jimmy might have a deal or two up his sleeve. Fans are getting excited but the Canucks are still in the rebuild stage and Benning has a little more ammunition to deal with.   

7 hours ago, J.R. said:

Man... I'd forgotten about Burrows :ph34r:

My prediction from like last year that he could very well end up in Utica might just happen at this rate. Guys are pushing HARD for spots.

I think Shaw will be a nightmare for the Habs, and they will regret not inquiring about Burrows.. Alex Burrows would come alive in Montreal.

This guy may not have the name, but he's got the game. If he can show that last year was the real Mike Z, then he should be our first call up. Hard-nosed, forechecking, PK center/right winger, who can play up and down your lineup with speed and good playmaking ability. He's Hansen's replacement after the expansion draft or trade. All he needs is a shot. He never gives up and he brings the most valuable quality... consitency

Edited by canuckledraggin
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

This guy may not have the name, but he's got the game. If he can show that last year was the real Mike Z, then he should be our first call up. Hard-nosed, forechecking, PK center/right winger, who can play up and down your lineup with speed and good playmaking ability. He's Hansen's replacement after the expansion draft or trade. All he needs is a shot. He never gives up and he brings the most valuable quality... consitency

I consider Zalewski the #1 call up followed by Labate. I would love to see these two with 25 - 40 games this year. 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I consider Zalewski the #1 call up followed by Labate. I would love to see these two with 25 - 40 games this year. 

Hoping to see them with Gaunce as our 4th line next year.  Size, speed, aggressiveness, physicality, and even some skill.  Will really take it to other teams.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

Zalewski apparently is gonna be called up. Just a rumour though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/canucks/comments/59nox0/look_for_zalewski_to_be_called_up_today/

Interesting. Wonder if this means the Canucks didn't file a waiver claim on Etem?

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

26 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Interesting. Wonder if this means the Canucks didn't file a waiver claim on Etem?

They waived Etem to lose him so why take him back unless they can get him to Utica? Love to see Zalewski get a call and LaBate when he comes off suspension. Send Virtanen down for a month.

17 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

They waived Etem to lose him so why take him back unless they can get him to Utica? Love to see Zalewski get a call and LaBate when he comes off suspension. Send Virtanen down for a month.

I think the odds are good no one else claims Etem so it's worth a shot at getting him down to the Comets. Agreed on Virtanen. He looks like he needs some AHL time (although sending him now might seem like punishment for his media comments).

I'd probably claim Etem (hopefully as the only team filing), try him for a game or two, and then assign to AHL (unless he's playing well in Vancouver).

Call up Zalewski (and maybe LaBate) a little later on, depending on the roster numbers due to injury status and the situation with Etem.

But we'll know more in about half an hour or so.

59 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

They can get him to Utica if they claim him as per NHL waiver rules on a team claiming a player they previously waived in the same season. We also don't know if they waived him to lose him or waived him to develop him further in the minors. There's a bit of a difference there and we don't really have anything to go by other than the fact that "he was waived" which says very little, if anything at all, in itself.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1

Sounds like Zalewski will not be qualified.

Z was looking so good in 2015-16 when he came back on an AHL contract and earned a late season NHL contract but then suffered two concussions and hasn't looked the same ever since.  Even though he is a local kid I agree with the decision not to qualify him.  

Well looks like my boy is heading off to Germany with his brother Steve.  Viel gluck.