The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Zalewski | C/LW

Joel Heyman

I thought he was one of the better Canucks prospects at Penticton. He does a lot of things well, but nothing spectacularly which means he'll likely be a solid 10-13 minute a night guy in the NHL who can post 15-25 points. That would be a pretty solid career for a guy who went undrafte, and I think Zalewski can reach that level.

Big 4th line winger with decent skill, hits, blocks shots. Can fight if needed but doesn't go out looking for it.

Potential: Steve Bernier (with Devils)

Steve Bernier is a bad name around here, but he was a very good third line player (in the same way as David Booth was last season). Zalewski might score 10 goals, 20-25 points but won't be a top 6 player.

• 8 months later...

This guy can't finish, get him a skill coach. His hockey iq is there, his positioning is there but my god this guy can't finish. Therefore, he won't ever crack the NHL, he needs to learn to finish more so he can be considered a good 3rd line guy at most.

Sounds like early Burrows or Kesler type, they turned out awful!

• 3 weeks later...

He's coming back! He's built pretty good. Could turn into a 3rd or 4th liner

Glad that the Canucks have kept Zalewski in the organization using an AHL contract and instead of one of the 50 NHL contract spots. I suppose this is one of the benefits of owning their own farm team. If Zalewski proves to be developing into a useful player, then the Canucks can release him from his AHL contract and sign him to an NHL PTO. Easy breezy.

Does anyone know anything about Marc Olivier Roy? He's a 20 year old that wasn't offered a contract by the Oilers. He seems to have good QMJHL numbers (regular season and more importantly playoff numbers), and was a second round draft pick a few years ago. Any one know his story?

So glad they signed our hometown boy Mike Z. He improved all year, maybe more than anyone else on the Comets. His possesion play and play along the boards came way up. Open ice he is nothing special and he took a number of bad penalties, though they were errors of commission, not omission. The thing he definitely does is get to the right spot. He has enough size and enough speed that you notice that out there, but it is true the finishing needs to come up. If he gets his finish going he is a definite NHLer. Still a very good prospect and I think he was smart to stick with the Canucks. If he takes the same strides forward he took last year he is a top 6 Comet by the end of the year. Obviously being in Travis' system again will help him as I think Travis had more confidence in him by the end of the season.

• 4 months later...

Archived