The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Zalewski | C/LW

Joel Heyman

well he signed and joined them (voiding his NCAA eligibility, so he "left"), but no one has reported him practicing or doing anything with the team yet (unless i missed something). whenever a player is signed out of university they report to the team, do some interviews with management, take in some games, etc. but unless he's out there running drills he's not jumping into the lineup.

and usually when a player signs out of the NCAA once their season is done, they go back to write their finals so their semester isn't a total loss. that is, unless he's giving up on school altogether.

I guess he could look to finish his courses remotely, but I haven't heard of him practising either. There was this from last night though:

OD Comets@OD_Comets

Understand New Hartford's Mike Zalewski will not play in Utica after signing with Vancouver. Will remain with big team for season.

In any case, it doesn't look like he'll be sent to Utica, so he may just be sticking around for the experience at this point. Perhaps if we send our call ups back to Utica for their games and maybe even playoffs then he might get in at least for practises, but not sure how it'll work at this point.

since he's not being assigned to utica, then he would be considered as to "stay" with vancouver even if he technically leaves van to write his finals. i would think in this day and age he'd be able to arrange to take his finals via a proctor or remotely online. either way, i doubt he suits up for either one until we are officially out of the playoff picture.

Vancouver Canucks@VanCanucks

Practice underway at @RogersArena. Both Kesler & Daniel Sedin on the ice, as is Mike Zalewski (#40). Burrows & Tanev not taking part.

News1130 Sports@News1130Sports

Mike Zalewski couldn't report to Utica bcoss he was signed after the NHL Trading deadline.

First off, come on News1130 - 'bcoss'? It's not like you were at 139 characters or something...

But I'm sure we've seen players signed as college free agents and then report to the AHL affiliates before. Just trying to think of recent examples, like Lain, or even Andrej Sustr, who both played in the AHL after signing. Sustr for example played 8 games in Syracuse and 2 games with Tampa last season after leaving college.

as for him being asigned to utica that must be a NHL rule, because the AHL no longer has a roster freeze/clear day roster. and most players sign an NHL contract stareting next season, and then get a ATO for their AHL team so they can play in the mean time.

Even with the Sustr example though, Tampa signed him to a 2 year deal that started last year. He played 2 games for them and 8 for Syracuse. The new CBA was already in effect at that point, so not sure what changed.

As you say the AHL doesn't have the clear day rosters any more (although we apparently put Archie down for a day to make sure he could play in the playoffs for Utica if it came to it, but I only saw one report on that) so I agree that should affect him being able to be sent down.

Also this is Hilarious

32. Mike Zalewski, Forward, RPI (Free Agent)

The RPI sophomore is a big-bodied winger that has the potential to be a great bottom six forward at the NHL level. He is very strong along the wall, brings a physical presence to the ice and can really muck it up and grind it. He's scored eight goals this season, including two on the penalty kill, but he has the potential to make a living as a third or fourth line winger in the pros.

33. Mark Jankowski, Forward, Providence (Calgary Flames)

Nate Leaman has often talked about how the former Stanstead College (prep) star is much younger than some of the defensemen he's going up against in Hockey East. That is certainly true, but Jankowski needs to become more of a threat in the dirty areas if he is going to become truly successful at the next level. He showed signs of that early in the season and is certainly driving the net harder than he did a year ago. He should stay at least another season in the NCAA before moving on to the next level.

#BetterThanJankowski

What??? He's ranked higher then THEE Mark 'Best player in the draft' Jankowski. No....no... that just can't be.

Somebody get him a visor, quick!

But really, no indication he actually plays at this point apart from injury cover. He's likely just here because he can't be sent to Utica (as noted earlier). If he could be sent down, it'd be a huge PR move for the Comets since he's from just outside Utica so it'd make sense that they do that.

The reports I've heard from people covering him in college have suggested he can be a good bottom 6 guy in the NHL potentially, but will need a couple years to develop.

The Canucks have been posting a few things about him today:

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=710659

Introducing Michael Zalewski.

The Vancouver Canucks dipped into the NCAA free agent pool last week signing 21-year-old Michael Zalewski out of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. To get you caught up on all things Zalewski, Canucks.com chatted with the big forward earlier this week and talked hockey, family and landscaping. Yes, landscaping.

1 - Zalewski is 6-foot-2, 210-pounds and was born on August 18, 1992. He shares a birthday with Edward Norton, Andy Samberg and Robert Redford. He was born and raised in New Hartford, New York, which is just outside of Utica, home of the Comets.

“It’s a small town,” said Zalewski. “We lived about half a mile uphill from the rink. It’s a good place to grow up in, I enjoyed it.”

Mar2114_mz1_side.jpg

2 - They may not be as well-known as the Sutters or the Staals, but the Zalewski household is as much of a hockey family as any. Michael has two brothers and two sisters. Rich, the eldest brother, played four seasons of Division III hockey at SUNY-Oswego before exploring the semi-pro ranks for a season and a half. Steve, who is six years older than Michael, spent four seasons at Clarkson University after being drafted in the fifth round by the San Jose Sharks in 2004. Steve went on to play 383 games in the AHL, as well as 10 games in the NHL with San Jose and New Jersey. This past season he suited up for Lukko in Finland.

“They had a big influence on me. Growing up I was always looking up to them and wanted to be like them. Watching them gave me the opportunity to watch it play out before I did. They had a huge impact on my hockey life.”

3 - RPI and Clarkson University, Steve’s alma-mater, is one of the biggest rivalries in college hockey.

“They are very big rivals. It’s kind of funny, growing up watching Steve at Clarkson I kind of wanted to go there, but ultimately I had a chance at RPI and loved it there.”

4 - His sister, Erin, was a field hockey star at SUNY-Geneseo, while younger sister Annika is about to embark on an ice hockey scholarship to Colgate next season. All in all, five kids that all played hockey and will all play at the collegiate level. Although parents Elizabeth and Jamie didn’t play much of the game, they supported their five kids and their hockey dreams.

“My dad just played a little bit, started pretty late in high school. My mom did a bit of speed skating. I am not sure how we all jumped into hockey, but my parents were unbelievable for us growing up playing hockey.”

5 - Wanting a bit of a change of pace, Zalewski found himself in Vernon, BC playing with Vernon Vipers in the BCHL for two seasons prior to going to RPI. During the 2011-12 season, he led the Vipers in scoring with 75 points (38-37-75) in 60 games. In his rookie campaign, he posted 29 points (12-17-29) in 46 games, helping the Vipers go all the way to the Royal Bank Cup championship game, where they lost 2-0 to Pembroke.

“Playing in Vernon was awesome, but it was a very tough loss for us in the final game. The first season we had a great team and it was a lot of fun. It was a great experience overall.”

Mar1414_zal2_rr.jpg

6 - Zalewski played with Adam Tambellini, brother of former Canucks forward Jeff, while in Vernon and played with Zach Schroeder, brother of current Canucks forward Jordan, the past two seasons at RPI. He also skates with Tom Sestito, a native of nearby Rome, NY, during the summer.

7 - Zalewski describes himself as a big, two-way forward.

“I think I am a pretty smart player that can play at both ends of the ice. I try to use my size to my advantage.”

8 - He tries to base his style of game off of Los Angeles Kings star, Anze Kopitar.

“He is a big body that plays in the offensive end and defensive zone. He is good all over the ice.”

9 - One thing Zalewski wants to improve on is his speed.

“My foot speed and explosiveness coming out of the corners. My first couple steps need to improve.”

Mar2114_mz1_rr.jpg

10 - Without a doubt, signing an NHL contract with the Canucks was a very exciting and happy day.

“It was unbelievable. It was the best day of my life so far. It was crazy and I can’t even describe how exciting it was.”

11 - For a couple summers, he put away the hockey stick and grabbed a rake, working as a landscaper with his brother.

“My brother owned his own landscaping and lawn mowing business so I worked for him for a couple summers. It was a pretty good time.”

12 - One thing you don’t know about the newest Canucks prospect?

“I am a huge Kings of Leon fan. My favorite song is ‘California Waiting’.”

Somebody get him a visor, quick!

But really, no indication he actually plays at this point apart from injury cover. He's likely just here because he can't be sent to Utica (as noted earlier). If he could be sent down, it'd be a huge PR move for the Comets since he's from just outside Utica so it'd make sense that they do that.

The reports I've heard from people covering him in college have suggested he can be a good bottom 6 guy in the NHL potentially, but will need a couple years to develop.

Just thinking out loud here. If he doesn't get a chance to suit up for the Canucks send him down to Utica for a "two week conditioning assignment". That might get around the signed after the trade deadline rule. I saw today that the Penguins just sent a player down to the AHL today for a conditioning assignment and the Comets play the baby pens tonight.

Archived