The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Zalewski | C/LW

Joel Heyman

A solid kid. Saw a few practices of his and he's blending in with the big group pretty well even though it's practice...maybe he can get a few games in nearing the last few games of the season if we are out of the playoffs or injuries occur...promising player from what I've seen.

A solid kid. Saw a few practices of his and he's blending in with the big group pretty well even though it's practice...maybe he can get a few games in nearing the last few games of the season if we are out of the playoffs or injuries occur...promising player from what I've seen.

Just wondering, when you are watching him verses regular nhlers, can you see a real obvious difference in drills? I've never seen a practice before. How does he compare to say tom sestito skill wise, or is game, scrimmage scenarios better indicators of performance?

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, the Canucks must really see something in him. He's been with the club since the signing and now is getting a shot over numerous guys who put in full time in Utica.

I think is more of a combination of being unable to send him down because of the new CBA and that Utica is still in playoff contention, so Canucks don't want to make changes to the Utica roster right now. Esp since Canucks is eliminated, let the prospects stay there and see if they can grind their way to the playoffs.

I thought Zalewski was one of the better Canucks tonight. That's not massive praise, considering how apathetic the whole team looked, but he didn't seem too out of place and had that nice wraparound chance which nearly worked. Hopefully he gets another look tomorrow, maybe they can throw him out there on the PP for a bit, they've got nothing to lose really. Then can be sent down to Utica for some games there in front of his hometown fans!

Considering he hasn't played a real game in forever it wasn't that bad. he was physical on the fore check and that's what you want from every bottom 6 guy in your lineup.

I would give him a solid 7/10 considering the rest of the team didn't show up. (Thankfully lol)

for a 21 year old he's not too shabby.

Could be better than Mallet???

He played like a plug.

The numbers say you don't know what the hell you're watching. 70% Corsi for and 2 SOG in 11+ minutes while getting 18% offensive zone starts. Granted, it was the Oilers, but that is a hell of a lot of territory gained by a player who was acquired for free.

The numbers say you don't know what the hell you're watching. 70% Corsi for and 2 SOG in 11+ minutes while getting 18% offensive zone starts. Granted, it was the Oilers, but that is a hell of a lot of territory gained by a player who was acquired for free.

Nice. I thought he played well, a little tentative at times - either waiting for a play to develop or watching where teammates were going/doing (as one would expect) - but not bad for a first game (in fact pretty good as your numbers show).

edit:grammar

Archived