The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Zalewski | C/LW

Joel Heyman

First NCAA signing of the year for us, havent heard of him

Mike Zalewski
Defense Turns out he is actually a forward and this has since been changed.
Born Aug 18 1992 -- New Hartford, NY
Height 6.02 -- Weight 210 -- Shoots L
--- Regular Season --- ---- Playoffs ----
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009-10 Syracuse Stars EJHL 43 16 32 48 28
2010-11 Vernon Vipers BCHL 46 12 17 29 34 16 5 3 8 4
2011-12 Vernon Vipers BCHL 60 38 37 75 83 -- -- -- -- --
2012-13 R.P.I. ECAC 36 12 9 21 22
2013-14 R.P.I. ECAC 35 9 17 26 53
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current statistics as of 2014-03-14

At 21 would this be a two year deal? Essentially this year and next? I don't see this as being a very sexy signing but may pay its dividends. I'm not entirely encouraged by the fact that his numbers didn't really change from one year to the next after joining RPI though. Maybe just a change in the role he played? I don't know. Looking forward to seeing him play!

TROY, N.Y. - Mike Zalewski, who just completed his sophomore season with the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) men's hockey team, has signed a free agent National Hockey League contract with the Vancouver Canucks. One of the team's most dynamic forwards, Zalewski forgoes his final two years of college eligibility. He will join the Canucks on their current road trip, which goes through Washington, Florida and Tampa Bay.

"It is a bittersweet time for me and my family. Being at RPI the last two years has been a terrific experience in which I have developed a great deal as a player, in particular as a 'power forward', said Zalewski. "I have my coaches and teammates to thank for helping me grow into the player I am today. I am very excited for this opportunity with such a first-class organization like Vancouver. It has been a lifelong dream of mine to play in the NHL and the Canucks are providing that chance."

"We are thrilled to see Mike earn his lifelong dream of signing an NHL contract going directly from RPI to the NHL," said RPI head coach Seth Appert. "His work ethic has helped him develop into a power forward in his two years at RPI. He is a great teammate and will be missed, but we are excited to watch him with the Vancouver Canucks."

In 71 career games over his two seasons, the former Vernon Vipers standout had 21 goals and 26 assists for 47 points. The Business & Managment major was an ECAC Hockey All-Academic selection in 2012-13.

http://www.rpiathletics.com/news/2014/3/14/MHOCK_0314141446.aspx

Zalewski will give up his final two years of eligibility to sign with the Canucks.

RPI sophomore forward has given up his final two years of eligibility with the Engineers to sign a free agent contract with the Vancouver Canucks. Here is the official release from the Canucks.

Zalewski is originally from upstate New York, but played junior hockey with the Vernon Vipers in the British Columbia Hockey League. Zalewski returned home to play college hockey at RPI, where he put up respectable numbers in his two seasons in Troy, New York. He scored 12 goals and 9 assists for 21 points as a freshman, and improved to 9-17-26 in his second season.

Zalewski is a power forward in the making, listed at 6-2 209 lbs. We had Zalewski ranked 32nd on our list of the Top 100 NHL Prospects in the NCAA. Here's how our Jeff Cox described Zalewski's pro potential:

The RPI sophomore is a big-bodied winger that has the potential to be a great bottom six forward at the NHL level. He is very strong along the wall, brings a physical presence to the ice and can really muck it up and grind it. He's scored eight goals this season, including two on the penalty kill, but he has the potential to make a living as a third or fourth line winger in the pros.

Also this is Hilarious

32. Mike Zalewski, Forward, RPI (Free Agent)

The RPI sophomore is a big-bodied winger that has the potential to be a great bottom six forward at the NHL level. He is very strong along the wall, brings a physical presence to the ice and can really muck it up and grind it. He's scored eight goals this season, including two on the penalty kill, but he has the potential to make a living as a third or fourth line winger in the pros.

33. Mark Jankowski, Forward, Providence (Calgary Flames)

Nate Leaman has often talked about how the former Stanstead College (prep) star is much younger than some of the defensemen he's going up against in Hockey East. That is certainly true, but Jankowski needs to become more of a threat in the dirty areas if he is going to become truly successful at the next level. He showed signs of that early in the season and is certainly driving the net harder than he did a year ago. He should stay at least another season in the NCAA before moving on to the next level.

#BetterThanJankowski

First NCAA signing of the year for us, havent heard of him

Mike Zalewski

Defense

Born Aug 18 1992 -- New Hartford, NY

Height 6.02 -- Weight 210 -- Shoots L

--- Regular Season --- ---- Playoffs ----

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM

2009-10 Syracuse Stars EJHL 43 16 32 48 28

2010-11 Vernon Vipers BCHL 46 12 17 29 34 16 5 3 8 4

2011-12 Vernon Vipers BCHL 60 38 37 75 83 -- -- -- -- --

2012-13 R.P.I. ECAC 36 12 9 21 22

2013-14 R.P.I. ECAC 35 9 17 26 53

Current statistics as of 2014-03-14

I believe he is a forward not defense

Also this is Hilarious

Nate Leaman has often talked about how the former Stanstead College (prep) star is much younger than some of the defensemen he's going up against in Hockey East. That is certainly true, but Jankowski needs to become more of a threat in the dirty areas if he is going to become truly successful at the next level. He showed signs of that early in the season and is certainly driving the net harder than he did a year ago. He should stay at least another season in the NCAA before moving on to the next level.

#BetterThanJankowski

Ohhh Calgary.......

Also this is Hilarious

#BetterThanJankowski

Also this is Hilarious

#BetterThanJankowski

Ain't nobody better than Jankowski!!! Nobody!!!

#JankowskiBetterThanGretzky #JankowskiGodAmongstMortals #JankowskiAloneEqualsDynasty

Another college signing. Gillis is gold at these, have full faith in this signing.

Edit: guy seems very intelligent. He's a old school PF (the best kinds). Always ready to drop the mitts, would prefer a big hit over a big goal, and has a massive frame. Ontop of that, he's very hard to knock off the puck and defend and has solid hands for a big guy especially infront.

Moneyball signing...here's to hoping he just pans out and this is a win. MG doing his thing again!

Archived