The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fighting in hockey.

Squamfan

Was at a game tonight and the home team lost. No emotion, no goals, not many hits.

Back in the day the guys at the end of the bench would hop over the boards and set the stage for the next game and give the paying customers something for this game and hope for the next.

It's always been part of the game and brings a different dimension to the game. A fight does things to a team that can't be explained to the fullest and gets everyone's adrenaline pumping. Fighting also places a code of conduct that if something happens, things will be settled with the mitts dropped and is inevitable for players to answer the bell if they take a run at a player.

Traditional hockey markets in bigger cities have to compete with the more family-friendly sports of - baseball, football, basketball & soccer for the sports-entertainment dollars that the average fan might spend. The violence.... or fighting.....gives the NHL their niche. It's slightly less violent than MMA, Boxing...or WWE pro-wrestling entertainment productions...which are not generally team games or sports. The older tycoons running the NHL come from the biggest traditional markets...& they need this violence to hold onto their traditional fans & market share. Tradition sells - because generations are raised with it... & they are nostalgic about it. Newer fans generally accept the 'no-fighting' rules...like in Jr. Hockey, IIHF & in Olympic tournaments....more readily.

Traditional hockey markets in bigger cities have to compete with the more family-friendly sports of - baseball, football, basketball & soccer for the sports-entertainment dollars that the average fan might spend. The violence.... or fighting.....gives the NHL their niche. It's slightly less violent than MMA, Boxing...or WWE pro-wrestling entertainment productions...which are not generally team games or sports. The older tycoons running the NHL come from the biggest traditional markets...& they need this violence to hold onto their traditional fans & market share. Tradition sells - because generations are raised with it... & they are nostalgic about it. Newer fans generally accept the 'no-fighting' rules...like in Jr. Hockey, IIHF & in Olympic tournaments....more readily.

Your violence meter seems a bit off.

Hockey is on par with football in violence. It's a no way close to MMA or Boxing though. There is a reason those guys may have only 3 fights in an entire year and of course with the WWE while it is fake and staged it is easily the most violent looking.

In other words while fighting is part of what makes hockey unique it is not a selling point. People do not go to hockey games or watch 3 hour games on TV just to see a fight. If you are a real fan of fighting then hockey is a terrible market because fights do not happen every game and when they do happen most of the time it's just 20 seconds of guys wrestling each other and not landing a punch. People are are actually passionate about seeing fights will be the ones watching MMA or Boxing or possibly WWE. I doubt getting rid of fighting would have any effect on sales.

We have seen the NHL as well as the NFL and MLB abandon other traditions and reshape the games in ways and while people complained at first as they always do it seems to have worked out for the best in all of them. The NBA seemed like the only league to really botch it when they changed the official ball. If anything you can make the argument that tradition can hold a sport back sometimes.

(I am not against fighting BTW just don't think it's something that brings people in today)

Large appeal to fans. It doesn't draw them in and it certainly isn't the niche viking mama is saying it is but it is an exciting aspect. That on it's own wouldn't be enough though. If your team loses but has 3 fights a game it's still not going to put asses in seats. It does however fire up a game There are some guys who just fight to police the game but a lot of the time it's also used to fire up ones team. Iginla used to do it all the time; Nolan, Bertuzzi also good examples. That's not to take away from policing the game because that's also important.

I've always thought about what goes on in the dressing room after the game. Hypothetically someone comes in and cheap shots a Sedin (Eager) and Kassian comes in and pummels the living **** out of him. I can only imagine afterwards there are beers being bought for that guy. I know from when I played rugby in university whenever something went down we knew we had back up. I've played on other teams where I didn't feel that and those teams were not as good or fun to play for.

There's the tradition and rivalries but imo the most important one is the effect it has with the team on and off the ice.

Normally, I'd suggest comparing it to other leagues to consider it's positive impact, but to be honest,

I don' think there really is any. If you can show that other leagues have more injuries by deliberate

acts, then you got an argument. Other than that, the best argument would to argue that it is tradition and

part of north american hockey, and that we allow fighting in boxing, UFC etc., so we don't believe it is some sort of immoral act.

My opinion is that there really is no need for it. Other leagues don't have it, and other physical sports don't have it (NFL). I don't know the economic impacts of taking hockey out of the game. There may be

people that stop watching, while other continue to, and some may even start.

No way. I'm new and when the ref screws up you can only hope that it gets settled on the ice. Take that away and its just a children's game.

Your violence meter seems a bit off.

Hockey is on par with football in violence. It's a no way close to MMA or Boxing though. There is a reason those guys may have only 3 fights in an entire year and of course with the WWE while it is fake and staged it is easily the most violent looking.

In other words while fighting is part of what makes hockey unique it is not a selling point. People do not go to hockey games or watch 3 hour games on TV just to see a fight. If you are a real fan of fighting then hockey is a terrible market because fights do not happen every game and when they do happen most of the time it's just 20 seconds of guys wrestling each other and not landing a punch. People are are actually passionate about seeing fights will be the ones watching MMA or Boxing or possibly WWE. I doubt getting rid of fighting would have any effect on sales.

We have seen the NHL as well as the NFL and MLB abandon other traditions and reshape the games in ways and while people complained at first as they always do it seems to have worked out for the best in all of them. The NBA seemed like the only league to really botch it when they changed the official ball. If anything you can make the argument that tradition can hold a sport back sometimes.

(I am not against fighting BTW just don't think it's something that brings people in today)

i remember when i was a kid going to BCHL games just to watch the brawls , Millionaires and Kings was a guarantee line brawl back in the day, maybe two or three lol. when your a 10-15 year old boy it is pretty exciting to watch lol.

Because fighting in hockey is the Blondy true form of actual men fighting for a real reason in any sport.

They fight to stand up for their team mates and brothers who they battle with for years.

It's not like UFC and boxing where they fight just because people said they sshould. The hatred and angst is real when these athletes drop the gloves.

Fighting is what makes hockey the best sport out there. Not oonly does hockey require a wider skill set than all other sports, but to add fighting for a real reason just makes it even better

I'll take a retaliation hockey fight over any UFC or boxing any second of the day.

Because fighting in hockey is the Blondy true form of actual men fighting for a real reason in any sport.

They fight to stand up for their team mates and brothers who they battle with for years.

It's not like UFC and boxing where they fight just because people said they sshould. The hatred and angst is real when these athletes drop the gloves.

Fighting is what makes hockey the best sport out there. Not oonly does hockey require a wider skill set than all other sports, but to add fighting for a real reason just makes it even better

I'll take a retaliation hockey fight over any UFC or boxing any second of the day.

I dunno that Hendricks vs Lawler fight was pretty awesome last night.

There are rivalries in boxing and UFC/MMA just like hockey and there are some guys who really do hate each other. but as a whole yeah pre determined fighters , pre determined media hype /false hate to get people interested is not the same.

Brings up a "code" within the league.

As Dr. Phil says - "How's that working out so far"?

Steve Moore's career ended.

We still have cheap shots today.

Sorry, fighting has done absolutely nothing to "police" the play.

Archived