The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Santorelli's Next Contract

Easton76

There's a thread on this topic already that I made but anyways I'll draw examples from them..

One of the biggest problems the Canucks have been having for numerous years (since Manny's injury) has been finding an effective 3rd line C

A team cannot have enough players that are able to not only play both the W and C but can also move up and down the lineup seamlessly.

If you're going to be harsh with your assessments then there are numerous players way ahead of Santo in the scrutiny department.

I also think Santo can be a great example for our rookies. Santo's work ethic and commitment to the sport of hockey are among the best out of all of our players. Santo can came out of Training camp as our most Athletic player and has arguably been our most consistent forward.

He was VAN's poor man's version of a playmaking Patty Kane, very good defensively and probably along

with Kesler the best and most consistent forward this year.

I sure as heck hope he is re-signed.

FYI: I'm on a tablet and I can't copy posts for some weird reason...

You can't blame him for declining, our entire team was and still is. If you expect Santo to play consistently well on a declining team then my god your expectations for him are sky high.

Santo was outplaying a strong majority of our team when he was healthy. Santo has shown he wants to play here, for his home team and is committed to working hard.

Hometown discount + injury = we can re-sign Santo for cheap and move Hansen, giving us more cap this FA.

Santorelli is the 3rd line Centre(that can win faceoffs and play wing) that we have always wanted.

As stated earlier, 1yr. 1 million. Santo will jump at it considering his season-ending injury. A weak FA pool? Yes, but he won't get anymore from anyone else. If he has another decent year without injury, then we can start talking more dollars and more term. I can't see him in the top 6 unless there's more injuries like this year.

Santo is a no brainer re-sign.

Obvious what he brought here, but the stats do reflect it as well.

Aside from the points:

22 takeaways, 7 giveaways +15

Only 43.2% offensive zone starts agains strong competition - and extremely productive in that context.

44 blocked shots in 49 games.

51.3% in the faceoff circle - again, facing quality competition.

Great energy on the forecheck.

Strong on the puck and a very good cycler, particularly for his size.

Very good playmaker who also goes to the net/hard areas and isn't above scoring ugly.

Terrific work ethic, conditioning, and upbeat/charismatic presence.

Really want to see him back regardless of the depth or where people may envision him in the lineup. He's exceptionally versatile.

That said, I think his injury will get in the way of him getting the contract he may have been on course to command - there still may remain an element of "could he have sustained that?" or "will he return to that form?" I don't doubt he will, and I'm not for lowballing him, but at the same time I could see him signing a 'bridge' deal that recognizes both what he brought, and the team that wanted him.

This ^^^^

Under ideal circumstances, Horvat would fill the 3C slot next year, with Santorelli ready to take over if Horvat doesn't make the team. If Horvat does, then Santorelli moves to the wing. Under no circumstances is Santorelli a second-line player. I'm also not interested in contracts with any more term than necessary at this point. Offer Santorelli $1.5M on a one-year deal. Either way, he's not a key player in the Canucks future....just a pit-stop guy.

If he wants to re-sign, I think a fair offer would be 1 year 1.5 million. One decent half season and a season ending injury do not equal $2.5-3 million. A local kid with a soft spot for this team would happily take a discount. If he can prove his worth during the next season, by all means, offer him a 3 year $2.5 million contract.

Under ideal circumstances, Horvat would fill the 3C slot next year, with Santorelli ready to take over if Horvat doesn't make the team. If Horvat does, then Santorelli moves to the wing. Under no circumstances is Santorelli a second-line player. I'm also not interested in contracts with any more term than necessary at this point. Offer Santorelli $1.5M on a one-year deal. Either way, he's not a key player in the Canucks future....just a pit-stop guy.

Reasons being a "pit stop guy"?

There's a thread on this topic already that I made but anyways I'll draw examples from them..

One of the biggest problems the Canucks have been having for numerous years (since Manny's injury) has been finding an effective 3rd line C

A team cannot have enough players that are able to not only play both the W and C but can also move up and down the lineup seamlessly.

If you're going to be harsh with your assessments then there are numerous players way ahead of Santo in the scrutiny department.

I also think Santo can be a great example for our rookies. Santo's work ethic and commitment to the sport of hockey are among the best out of all of our players. Santo can came out of Training camp as our most Athletic player and has arguably been our most consistent forward.

He was VAN's poor man's version of a playmaking Patty Kane, very good defensively and probably along

with Kesler the best and most consistent forward this year.

I sure as heck hope he is re-signed.

FYI: I'm on a tablet and I can't copy posts for some weird reason...

You can't blame him for declining, our entire team was and still is. If you expect Santo to play consistently well on a declining team then my god your expectations for him are sky high.

Santo was outplaying a strong majority of our team when he was healthy. Santo has shown he wants to play here, for his home team and is committed to working hard.

Hometown discount + injury = we can re-sign Santo for cheap and move Hansen, giving us more cap this FA.

Santorelli is the 3rd line Centre(that can win faceoffs and play wing) that we have always wanted.

For the best part of his shortened season it was well known that Santo was outplaying Kesler and all other top 6 players.He was also considered Torts most versatile forward albeit 3-4 of his games.

Reasons being a "pit stop guy"?

Turns 29 later this year...not likely to be an impact player when the Canucks figure to be back to being a good team in 2-3 years. If the Canucks are going to be investing time in the likes of Horvat/Shinkaruk, Cassels/Gaunce (ie their high draft picks) in the 2nd/3rd line positions, you have to wonder where Santorelli will get his ice time, knowing it won't be at the expense of the the young guys. He's not a 4th line player, IMO. The influx of young guys will make him expendable sooner rather than later.

Gillis was entertaining trade proposals for Kes so you should not be surprised.

Gillis also appeared to have replaced Kesler with Matthias.We have oodles of third line centers,already.

Richardson or Schoeder can play third C.Gaunce can potentially fill in if there are injuries.

Sanotorelli's bio says he has played and can play all three forward positions.

So who's playing on the second line instead of Kesler then?

Gillis didn't sign Booth.....

The quote function isn't working for me at the moment, but this was directed at nuck nit.

Gillis traded for Booth and Aqua signs his cheque.

When a player is traded the acquiring team signs them,insures themselves and ownership signs his cheque.

Yes,the Canucks acquired and signed Booth up to be a Canuck.

Gillis traded for Booth and Aqua signs his cheque.

His services are acquired with his contract transfer. He is no longer signed with Florida.

Yes,Florida originally signed him and negotiated his present contract.

The Canucks accepted the terms and conditions of said contract and upon the transfer of terms of trade of contracts and players involved,signed Booth to a Vancouver Canucks contract.

$19.25 million to shut the core down and close the window.

750k-1M. Why? because I'm sure he would be glad just to play for his hometown and although he played well, he was starting to produce less and then got a major injury on top of it.

Higgins has been here for 3 years and works his arse off every game and he only makes 2.5M. Why should Santo make more than that with only half a season on our team? The cap may be going up, but shouldn't mean we should give everyone raises just because of it.

Archived