The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) RFA Targets

Are there any upcoming RFAs that you think the Canucks have a reasonable chance to acquire through offer sheets? With the Cap going up it'd be even more unlikely that usual for an offer sheet to go unmatched but this subforum doesn't really take reality into consideration too often. With that in mind, who do you target and how for how much?

Brett Connolly - Local kid, hasn't been able to crack the top 6 in TB, unlikely to with the emergence of Tyler Johnsen, and Jonathan Drouin waiting in the wings. $3.3 million for a 2nd round pick? Can't be any worse than David Booth.

Ryan Johansen - Doubt that Columbus lets him walk, but I think that he's the kind of kid you could justify paying 6+ million for. Another local boy, oozes talent. Might be wasted on the second line but playing with Kesler and Kassian or Jensen could still rack up some points.

Cody Franson - One more BC boy, has struggled this year compared to the last. Could be a nice PP replacement for Edler if he gets traded. Even if TO match, it'd be nice to screw over the Leafs a little bit. $3.3 million is a little bit low but It'd be hard to stomach giving up a 1st pick for him?

Jayden Schwartz - Very fast talented winger, 50+ points this season. Likely that you'd have to offer more than 5 million to get St Louis to consider letting him go. Not sure if he's worth a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd if the 2013 draft is an indication of things to come for the Canuck scouting staff.

Honorable mentions

Chris Kreider - Could be part of a very intimidating line with Kassian. Rags could be in a pinch if they don't buyout Richards.

Jakob Silfverberg - Looks good on a deep Anaheim team, but they have lots of cap room.

Riley Sheahan - Gets overlooked amidst many good young players in the best organization in the league. Detroit has lots of roster decisions to make, but Holland is too smart to lose a player. Tomas Tatar is also RFA.

Adam Larsson - Incredible skill set but hasn't put it together yet. Doubt you catch Lou napping, but have heard rumours that he's unhappy. Hasn't shown enough to warrant a huge raise from the home team, but could be worth it down the road.

We won't be able to get the big guns, and while it might be worth it to go for Connolly I'd rather see if we could swap Dalpe for him, but that's about as much as I'd offer. Brett COULD be good but I don't want to pay so much for him when he's achieved nothing (LOL at $3.3 million for an unproven RFA).

Not through offer sheet but I'd like to see us target Ryan Ellis. He's the perfect type of defenceman we need going forward and would be perfect behind Tanev. I wouldn't mind bringing Connolly home but I don't think he should be offered anything more than $2-$2.5 million.

We won't be able to get the big guns, and while it might be worth it to go for Connolly I'd rather see if we could swap Dalpe for him, but that's about as much as I'd offer. Brett COULD be good but I don't want to pay so much for him when he's achieved nothing (LOL at $3.3 million for an unproven RFA).

All offersheets are overpayments at the time, sometimes they pay off. Kesler, Penner, Vanek. All way more than they were worth at the time. It's a gamble and sometimes you win. Better to spend 3.3 on Connolly than 4.2 on Booth.

• 3 weeks later...

***(Hope this is in the right place, searched and this was the best I found, if not Mods please move.)***

What do you Nux Fans think about smacking the Bruins around a bit with an offer to RFA Dougie Hamilton?

According to bruins/nhl.com he's a 20 yeas old, 6'5" 212 pound right-shooting defenseman with 7 goals and 18 assists in 60 games this season.

The Bruins are getting fined for exceeding the cap and will want to try to lock top players like this up for as cheap as possible. (Are they over again next year?)

If we can get him to sign for less than $3,364,391 per year and the Bruins give him up, the compensation is only one 2nd round pick.

Even if we don't get him, it would be a shot across the bow of a Stanley Cup rival who still has not paid for all the crap they dished out.

What do you think and are there other teams you would like to attack? Should we be making any aggressive RFA offers at all?

Archived