#1 BureisBest

BureisBest

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:34 AM

POPULAR

I keep hearing everyone say Horvat is not talented enough to be a 1st or 2nd line center in the NHL and that he will likely be a 3rd line center for us.  I don't know if people just aren't watching Horvat play or what their reason is.  All I can think of is maybe because he's awesome at defense and is usually used by his coaches from London and Team Canada to shut down the other team's top line, people figure he can't play offense too.  Last time I checked guys like Datsyuk, Kesler, Toews, Zetterberg, and Bergeron are all pretty awesome at both offense and defense.  You're allowed to be good at both.  The other good thing about this is Bo can be used as a reliable 3rd-liner when he first comes in as a rookie and starts his development towards a top-6 role, much like Kesler did.  This is in contrast to a prospect like Schroeder who really isn't fit for a 3rd-line role during development.   

Here are Horvat's highlights from this year.  Tell me this is a guy with the hands of a 3rd/4th liner.  You're crazy.  If anything we're lucky to have such a well-rounded 200-foot player who also happens to know how to unleash dirty toe drags, send Sedin-like passes to his teammates, and make goalies fall over from dizziness.

Posted Image

#2 Sedins23

Sedins23

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:39 AM

good point...... he will make a perfect third line centre  :bigblush:

I am never going to spend another second watching sports ever again here's why.

What are the canucks called? They are called Canucks Sports and Entertainment. Ever wondered what Sports and entertainment means? Here's the defination: Sports entertainment is a type of spectacle which presents an ostensibly competitive event using a high level of theatrical flourish and extravagant presentation, with the purpose of entertaining an audience. Unlike typical athletics and games, which are conducted for competition, sportsmanship, exercise or personal recreation, the primary product of sports entertainment is performance for an audience's benefit, thus they are never practiced privately. Commonly, the outcomes are predetermined; as this is an open secret, it is not considered to be match fixing.

#3 skyfall

skyfall

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:41 AM

POPULAR

The more ridiculous idea right now is that Henrik is a 1st line centre.

#4 The Ghost of Tom Joad

The Ghost of Tom Joad

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:41 AM

Finally, a 3rd line centre with some skill.

#5 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:43 AM

OHL highlights......

Yeah, let's see what he can do at the NHL level first before we start throwing out any projections

Edited by Lychees, 16 March 2014 - 10:43 AM.

#6 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:43 AM

that last one against Kitchener... hot damn.

including the goalie he had four sticks wacking at him. after he finished he didnt even crack a smile.

#ox

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#7 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:44 AM

Where do you hear this? Oilers forum? Schneider fan you work with?

Pretty sure most canuck fans know he's the next big thing.

#8 Sedins23

Sedins23

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:47 AM

Where do you hear this? Oilers forum? Schneider fan you work with?

Pretty sure most canuck fans know he's the next big thing.

yeah when manny got that eye injury he left some pretty big shoes to fill. He is the only player we have currently that has the potential to fill them. 

What are the canucks called? They are called Canucks Sports and Entertainment. Ever wondered what Sports and entertainment means? Here's the defination: Sports entertainment is a type of spectacle which presents an ostensibly competitive event using a high level of theatrical flourish and extravagant presentation, with the purpose of entertaining an audience. Unlike typical athletics and games, which are conducted for competition, sportsmanship, exercise or personal recreation, the primary product of sports entertainment is performance for an audience's benefit, thus they are never practiced privately. Commonly, the outcomes are predetermined; as this is an open secret, it is not considered to be match fixing.

#9 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:49 AM

The more ridiculous idea right now is that Henrik is a 1st line centre.

I'd have to agree to some extent but at present the sadder fact is Sedin's still the  number one guy. In my mind this season is a wash and little can be done to change players until the season has ended. To your point I agree that ,both Sedins, have dropped a notch and would be far more useful  playing fewer minutes in a secondary role teaching up and comers like Hovart whom has huge upside. I'm really looking forward to the youth thrust on this team.

#10 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,185 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:51 AM

POPULAR

Remember when we drafted Kesler and people said at best he'll be a third line checking centre?

If Horvat keeps that nose for the net, and gets to the dirty areas like he does in the OHL. He'll be a beauty. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915, 16 March 2014 - 10:52 AM.

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#11 Sedins23

Sedins23

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:54 AM

Remember when we drafted Kesler and people said at best he'll be a third line checking centre?

If Horvat keeps that nose for the net, and gets to the dirty areas like he does in the OHL. He'll be a beauty. 

well besides 2011....

#12 JE14

JE14

Entitled Anarchist Goat King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,282 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:56 AM

Those people dont know anything. He's going to be a second line center that needs a first line offensive center to excel. Horvat as Bergeron and someone as Krejci.

Posted Image

CDCFL Bruins |  EHL Canucks

#13 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:57 AM

Yeah where's this third line center projection coming from? I haven't seen this anywhere

Posted Image

#14 skyfall

skyfall

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:57 AM

I'd have to agree to some extent but at present the sadder fact is Sedin's still the  number one guy. In my mind this season is a wash and little can be done to change players until the season has ended. To your point I agree that ,both Sedins, have dropped a notch and would be far more useful  playing fewer minutes in a secondary role teaching up and comers like Hovart whom has huge upside. I'm really looking forward to the youth thrust on this team.

I agree with the sedins becoming mentors. The sad thing is Cody hodgson is considered an overrated 1st liner on CDC yet he only has 6 less points than Henrik in 4 less games on the legit crappiest team in the league. Barring any confidence issues I don't see how Horvat could not be given a shot as 1st line centre. After all, our team is 1/4 the 2010-11 last place florida panthers. At least by filling out the other 3/4 of the roster with Utica comets and OHL players we are at least developing our future.

#15 Florence

Florence

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:04 AM

I am not so sure I would use OHL highlights/numbers as a selling point. You could pull numbers and sick plays from plenty of junior league players who ether never made the NHL or stuck in a bottom 6 role or are simply goons. 

Look at another Canucks prospect in Cassels and what he is doing in the OHL yet he is practically an AHL prospect.

Of course scouting reports have been wrong before but it is premature to think otherwise until he shows he can handle it in the NHL and not a league of undeveloped teenagers.

Yeah where's this third line center projection coming from? I haven't seen this anywhere

Most scouting reports list his potential as a 2nd line center that could drop to a 3rd line center. The OP is looking mainly on the negative side though as most think 2C is most realistic

ezgifcom-gif-maker_zps756122ce.gif

#16 Canuckseeesh

Canuckseeesh

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:06 AM

people are saying he's projecting to be a 3rd line centre for "next year". i'm pretty sure it's obvious he's 1st-2nd line centre potential, so like others have said where are you getting this from

#17 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:07 AM

What exactly would the Sedins be teaching Bo? How to stay on the boards with your back to the play and make blind passes? TO slow down on a 2 on 1 and wait for the cycle to develop?

Seriously, Bo plays a style of hockey completely different and foreign to the Sedins. He uses his size to create space and get to the hard areas. The kind of mentor he needs is Getzlaf or Perry not one or both the Sedins.

I'm excited about the youth movement as well, largely because of how they play the game...fast, and by driving the slot and net. Matthias, Jensen Kassian...these guys are starting to show how you generate offence in today's NHL. There just isn't the space or time to play the Sedin "fancy-pass" offence on a regular enough basis to be effective. Speed and size is essential to success and the Sedins lack both. Maybe if they were split up they could be effective with big fast teammates but together, they are a black hole sucking up offensive opportunity.

#18 LolClarkson

LolClarkson

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:10 AM

Finally, a 3rd line centre with some skill.

The idea that we traded Schneider for anything less then a first line player or a Kesler/Backes/Bergeron like 2nd line player is pathetic. They should have picked the Russian , who is projected to be a 1st line player in the end.

This trade made me sick. Gillis could have at least traded Ballard to the Devils so we didn't have to use one of our buyouts. But nope. We traded a roster player for a hoper pick

:sadno:

sml_gallery_122705_480_6768.jpgDo what is best for the franchise.

#19 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,605 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:17 AM

OP is a Bo Horvat expert after watching a 3 minute highlight video on youtube. I'm sold.

#20 Chicken.

Chicken.

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:19 AM

The idea that we traded Schneider for anything less then a first line player or a Kesler/Backes/Bergeron like 2nd line player is pathetic. They should have picked the Russian , who is projected to be a 1st line player in the end.

This trade made me sick. Gillis could have at least traded Ballard to the Devils so we didn't have to use one of our buyouts. But nope. We traded a roster player for a hoper pick

:sadno:

they should have picked the russian..? gtfo here 

#21 LolClarkson

LolClarkson

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:20 AM

OP is a Bo Horvat expert after watching a 3 minute highlight video on youtube. I'm sold.

The Semininian one timer at the end was encouraging. The rest looked like Antson Carter tap ins.

#22 CanuckianOne

CanuckianOne

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:21 AM

Please be Kesler 2.0, please be Kesler 2.0...

g3HKFnX.png

#23 skyfall

skyfall

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:21 AM

Kesler is a 2nd line checking centre.

#24 LolClarkson

LolClarkson

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:27 AM

they should have picked the russian..? gtfo here 

Nichushkin.jpg

2013-2014 Stars 63 Goal 13  Assists 16

Points 29

#25 Legend Killer

Legend Killer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:27 AM

does it really matter what line he's on? he'll be more than capable of playing on the 2nd line.. but it doesn't matter. he'll be a great asset for us for years to come

Posted Image
For the first time in a long time.. the future looks bright..

#26 skyfall

skyfall

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:31 AM

does it really matter what line he's on? he'll be more than capable of playing on the 2nd line.. but it doesn't matter. he'll be a great asset for us for years to come

Yes it matters what line he's on. Look up hodgson, Cody and see how his situation was messed up.

#27 skyfall

skyfall

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:33 AM

Please be Kesler 2.0, please be Kesler 2.0...

Please be on the level of toews and Bergeron but even better. Playmaking skills are sorely needed along with beast mode scoring and two way checking. Leadership is also sorely needed too.

#28 Brad Marchand

Brad Marchand

Sphincter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,539 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:33 AM

Yes it matters what line he's on. Look up hodgson, Cody and see how his situation was messed up.

Only if Horvat has a massive ego and a meddling agent like Hodgson, which I seriously doubt he has.

Luc Bourdon & Rick Rypien: Forever Canucks

#29 Legend Killer

Legend Killer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

If a player is really a team player, which Bo is, he'll excel in whatever role he is put into. Just like he does in London. He's played third line plenty this season in london, doesn't mean anything. 

Posted Image
For the first time in a long time.. the future looks bright..

#30 Derp...

Derp...

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:41 AM

Bo will carry whatever line he is on, Nichuskin is just a complementary piece.

linden Vey Sig

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.