The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ridiculous Idea that Bo Horvat Will be a 3rd Line Center

BureisBest

Not to overhype this kid, but I can see a little Marian Hossa in him, without the explosive footwork and speed. Doubt he'll ever break the 100 point plateau, but I wouldn't be surprised if he scores 80-90 points in a season.

OHL highlights......

Yeah, let's see what he can do at the NHL level first before we start throwing out any projections

So why is it ok to take highlights from junior and say the player will be bad but vice versa isn't?

I think the reason people assume he's only going to be a 3rd liner is because all you hear about is how good he is defensively and never about how great his offensive skills are.

London Knights have been using him as the shutdown center against every teams top line and he still manages to produce well over a point per game and come up with some highlight reel goals.

I think most people are still bitter about the Schneider trade and are taking it out on Horvat and trying to make Gillis look bad.

If a player is really a team player, which Bo is, he'll excel in whatever role he is put into. Just like he does in London. He's played third line plenty this season in london, doesn't mean anything.

Add to that his physical size which will pay off in the nhl too which is good now but he'll get even bigger, he has the build for it.

The idea that we traded Schneider for anything less then a first line player or a Kesler/Backes/Bergeron like 2nd line player is pathetic. They should have picked the Russian , who is projected to be a 1st line player in the end.

This trade made me sick. Gillis could have at least traded Ballard to the Devils so we didn't have to use one of our buyouts. But nope. We traded a roster player for a hoper pick

:sadno:

We needed to drop two significant contracts without taking any cap back to get under the dropping cap limit. Ballard (who was untradeable) was bought out, and Booth couldn't be bought out. So the second contract had to be one of the goalies going without a roster player coming back. A 9th overall pick wasn't a bad return in that draft.

An excerpt from the Canucks Army article on Bo.......

Bo Horvat will, by all accounts, be an NHL player. He's a very good CHL'er and possesses a skill set that is fawned over by NHL GMs. When prognosticating these sorts of things, though, we need to evaluate what the most likely outcome is moving forward. For Horvat, the most likely route his career takes sees him topping out as a decent 3rd line C, scoring in the mid-40s in points just once or twice, and finishing his career having played for 4 or 5 different teams. Even then, he probably won't be ready to step into that 3rd line role and be effective for another 3-4 years after this one. Nothing he's done in junior screams "I'm ready" for full-time NHL duty, and most players spend significant time apprenticing in the AHL anyways.

This article was written by a blogger who has not even seen him play..pure specutation on his part contrasted by coatches and scouts in the OHL and NHL who see something completely different. Guy must be drinking the Sid Sexerios kool aid, another tool that has no clue.

Hank

Matthias

Richardson

Schroeder

Santorelli

Schroeder would have to be traded or let go to make room for Bo.

Bo will do well with another year of junior under his belt-after his 9 NHL games.

it would be entirely unsurprising to see schroeder either traded for scraps, thrown into a package or not tendered a qualifying offer.

horvat will be a bottom 6 staple next season.

I think the reason people assume he's only going to be a 3rd liner is because all you hear about is how good he is defensively and never about how great his offensive skills are.

London Knights have been using him as the shutdown center against every teams top line and he still manages to produce well over a point per game and come up with some highlight reel goals.

I think most people are still bitter about the Schneider trade and are taking it out on Horvat and trying to make Gillis look bad.

Schnieder who?

Nichushkin.jpg

2013-2014 Stars 63 Goal 13 Assists 16

Points 29

NHL 2003 Draft: Nikolai Zherdev drafted 4th overall, made NHL debut same year, 34 points in 57 games. Made his last NHL season 3 years ago, after 22 points in 56 games. Players taken later in the draft that didn't make NHL debut 03-04? Ryan Getzlaf, Ryan Kesler, Zach Parise, Mike Richards, Corey Perry, Shea Weber etc etc. You are ???? narrow minded if you're judging how good a player are based on that he "made the team" right away. And if i'm not mistaken, Nichuskin REFUSED to play in the AHL if he wasn't considered good enough to play in the NHL, which left KHL as "the only" option.

Bo Horvat has had a really good season, and he's making progress and that's really everything you can ask for. In the WJC he got paired up with what could be this years 1st overall pick, and one of the most talented players which should be next years 1st overall, even though Horvat is only 18 years old. As already being stated, Horvat's offensive numbers might be a bit distorted, given more defensive responsibility, while guys like Domi and Tierney are given more offensive freedom.

I have never said a bad word against Horvat.Doubtful that he plays junior next year when he could play in the AHL.

I call homer BS on the third line NHL fantasy thing you have happening.

But he is not eligible to play in the AHL next season. He either plays in the OHL as an overager (which likely won't help his development) or he plays for the Canucks next season. He nearly made the team this season and his numbers in the OHL have been better this year than last.

He is likely the team's 3rd line center next season and moves up after a couple of years getting to know what's expected of him in the NHL.

Archived