The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ridiculous Idea that Bo Horvat Will be a 3rd Line Center

BureisBest

An excerpt from the Canucks Army article on Bo.......

Bo Horvat will, by all accounts, be an NHL player. He's a very good CHL'er and possesses a skill set that is fawned over by NHL GMs. When prognosticating these sorts of things, though, we need to evaluate what the most likely outcome is moving forward. For Horvat, the most likely route his career takes sees him topping out as a decent 3rd line C, scoring in the mid-40s in points just once or twice, and finishing his career having played for 4 or 5 different teams. Even then, he probably won't be ready to step into that 3rd line role and be effective for another 3-4 years after this one. Nothing he's done in junior screams "I'm ready" for full-time NHL duty, and most players spend significant time apprenticing in the AHL anyways.

Was that supposed to be a reverse jinx article or something?

At age 23, we're still waiting for Kassian's cream to rise to the top. Maybe things aren't relevant enough for him yet?

Could it be some players take longer to develop? My point was about projecting the potential talent of a young hockey player despite the fact that some players take longer to develop than others. Because Zak has seen some rocky road during his time in the NHL, does not mean Horvat will follow in the same manner.

Sorry, I don't understand the point of your response.

Horvat is not that big. The reason his OHL stats are criticized is that he hit man puberty faster than others. He is only 6'0 and is already 205 pounds. Many players even in the NHL who are slightly older than him have not grown this much. So him playing in a league with 16 year olds and being able to dominate them is not all that abnormal.

While I agree Van fans should not criticize him he is doing a great job for where he is. But on the flip side Canucks fans ignoring reports on his flaws and concerns is homerism.

As I vaguely mentioned in another post Horvat has a PPG of 1.37. Cassels has a PPG of 1.20. Both have been great OHL players yet 1 is a legit prospect and the other is a fairly crappy prospect.

WHO CALLS HORVAT A CRAPPY PROSPECT!

they are both prime prospects.

People need to come down about junior stats and stop acting like scoring points in the juniors is a more flawless way of measuring talent than looking at the actual player. Otherwise anyone could be a scout or NHL teams would just fire all scouts because you can measure talent with random google/youtube stats.

Horvat is not that big. The reason his OHL stats are criticized is that he hit man puberty faster than others. He is only 6'0 and is already 205 pounds. Many players even in the NHL who are slightly older than him have not grown this much. So him playing in a league with 16 year olds and being able to dominate them is not all that abnormal.

While I agree Van fans should not criticize him he is doing a great job for where he is. But on the flip side Canucks fans ignoring reports on his flaws and concerns is homerism.

As I vaguely mentioned in another post Horvat has a PPG of 1.37. Cassels has a PPG of 1.20. Both have been great OHL players yet 1 is a legit prospect and the other is a fairly crappy prospect.

People need to come down about junior stats and stop acting like scoring points in the juniors is a more flawless way of measuring talent than looking at the actual player. Otherwise anyone could be a scout or NHL teams would just fire all scouts because you can measure talent with random google/youtube stats.

If scoring in junior is not somewhat important in assessing a young player, what other method is used to identify good players. I appreciate the fact that once a young player is identified with talent, his skills are placed under close scrutiny and he is watched to see what other hockey attributes he possesses.

I never suggested scoring in junior was the sole prerequisite to becoming a good NHL player. It is my opinion it is certainly a first measure in identifying a possible talented player though. As for his flaws, what junior player doesn't have flaws. Is that not why most prospects are developed in the AHL.

With respect to his size he is not a small hockey player. Schroeder is a small hockey player as is St Louis or Steve Sullivan. How many 205 pound 18 -19 year olds have you seen lately. If they are six feet tall, they run about 185 lbs at that age. I believe it would be safe to predict Horvat with a little conditioning would be considered big and in all liklihood a very gritty and difficult player to move around, even at 6 feet tall. Just saying.........

people are saying he's projecting to be a 3rd line centre for "next year". i'm pretty sure it's obvious he's 1st-2nd line centre potential, so like others have said where are you getting this from

Yep... because people are saying he should be our 3rd line centre next year, doesn't mean he will max out at that. It is just smart to shelter his minutes and play against lesser opposition as he jumps up a level in competition.

Even if we traded Kesler, I would still put Matthias ahead of him, just to ensure we don't throw him to the wolves... it is a lot tougher to come into the league as a centre than as a winger. Most young guys start out on the 3rd line or if they are more offensive centres, they move to the wing for their first couple of years so they have less responsibility.

Having said all that, no one know how he will turn out... he could never progress beyond the 3rd line (a la Malhotra who was an offensive phenom in the lower levels)... or he could be a top line guy. The experts kind of predict he will be a 2nd line 2-way kind of player.

An excerpt from the Canucks Army article on Bo.......

Bo Horvat will, by all accounts, be an NHL player. He's a very good CHL'er and possesses a skill set that is fawned over by NHL GMs. When prognosticating these sorts of things, though, we need to evaluate what the most likely outcome is moving forward. For Horvat, the most likely route his career takes sees him topping out as a decent 3rd line C, scoring in the mid-40s in points just once or twice, and finishing his career having played for 4 or 5 different teams. Even then, he probably won't be ready to step into that 3rd line role and be effective for another 3-4 years after this one. Nothing he's done in junior screams "I'm ready" for full-time NHL duty, and most players spend significant time apprenticing in the AHL anyways.

that's some of the dumbest sh!t I've ever seen quoted on these boards.

It's pretty evident to anyone who's watched Bo play in the OHL and the world juniors that his floor is a 3rd line centre. He will not fall lower than that. He definitely has the potential to be a 2nd line centre, in my mind.

People seem to forget that it was a very deep draft. In most other years he would have been picked higher, most likely around 5-6th.

Link I put up doesn't work..anyway..it's not hard to find..

Probably removed out of sheer embarrassment.

Then again, this kind of crap is in vogue in Vancouver. Negative pretenders posturing some kind of authority to declare all things Canuck a bust.

Reminds me of this case in point:

"A lot of players were placed on waivers over the weekend, as teams continued to move pieces around in an effort to get to the NHL’s 23-man roster limit ahead of the league deadline. On Monday morning, Bob McKenzie reported that all these waived players had cleared. Except for one.

Ryan Stanton, a defenceman in the Chicago Blackhawks’ system on a two-way deal that pays $550k in the big show and $100k in the little show, did not make it through. He was claimed by the Vancouver Canucks. It is a mystery as to why.

Stanton, a left-side defenceman, went undrafted, then signed with the Chicago organization back in 2010 and has spent the past four years with their AHL affiliate, the Rockford Ice Hogs. He skated in one game for the Blackhawks last season. In other words, he’s a bubble player at best. Sure, he was named the Ice Hogs’ most improved player in 2010-11, which is promising, I guess, but it’s also incredibly odd, since he played just 4 games for them the season prior. How bad must he have been in those 4 games?

Everything about this claim is odd. The Canucks are trying to get down to the 23-man limit, and they just added a guy they can’t possibly be planning to keep. They already have seven defencemen on the roster (Hamhuis, Garrison, Edler, Bieksa, Tanev, Weber, and Alberts) and John Tortorella has said a few times that he only plans to carry seven, so having eight defencemen makes little sense. Unless they were truly unimpressed with either Alberts or Weber and think a guy with no NHL experience can do a better job, I guess.

It seems more likely that the Canucks want him to strengthen the Comets’ roster, where he’d be a valuable veteran presence, but if that’s the case, then they’re going to have to get him down there, which means putting him right back on waivers and hoping that Chicago doesn’t just claim him right back.

That’s one theory. Here’s another: Mike Gillis had a really busy weekend, as you know, acquiring centres Zac Dalpe and Jeremy Welsh late Saturday night then re-signing Jannik Hansen to a four-year contract extension early Sunday morning. It seems likely, then, that he didn’t get much sleep, and might be walking around in a bit of a haze right now. People do silly things when they’re tired.

This is probably how it happened. In a somnambulistic state, Gillis was scanning the waiver wire. He saw the name Ryan Stanton. That made him think of baseball star Giancarlo Stanton, which makes him think of actor Giancarlo Esposito, which made him think of hockey great Phil Esposito. Knowing the Canucks could use another impact centre, and too groggy to realize he was knee-deep in stream-of-consciousness dissociative word association (and that it’s not 1971), Gillis put in a claim on who he thought was Phil Esposito, then fell completely asleep, only to awaken now to the news that he actually claimed Ryan Stanton.

Makes sense to me, but I didn’t get much sleep last night either."

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2013/09/30/canucks-claim-ryan-stanton-off-waivers-because-mike-gillis-didnt-sleep-this-weekend/

don't get too ahead of yourself here

lots of players in the juniors are making crazy moves every game but it doesn't mean it will translate to the nhl for sure, if you watched some of the brampton batalion highlights when hodgson was there you could see this guy making those kind of moves every game

Yep... because people are saying he should be our 3rd line centre next year, doesn't mean he will max out at that. It is just smart to shelter his minutes and play against lesser opposition as he jumps up a level in competition.

Even if we traded Kesler, I would still put Matthias ahead of him, just to ensure we don't throw him to the wolves... it is a lot tougher to come into the league as a centre than as a winger. Most young guys start out on the 3rd line or if they are more offensive centres, they move to the wing for their first couple of years so they have less responsibility.

Having said all that, no one know how he will turn out... he could never progress beyond the 3rd line (a la Malhotra who was an offensive phenom in the lower levels)... or he could be a top line guy. The experts kind of predict he will be a 2nd line 2-way kind of player.

:lol:

Manny Malhotra an offensive phenom in the lower levels. :sadno:

That's not overly impressive. What's your point?

He was 18 two weeks ago.

He has 30 NHL points.

He is tied for eighth in points amongst 184 NHL rookies.

He is accomplishing that with less than 15 minutes of ice per game.

He is the youngest rookie in the top eight,save MacKinnon.

He is tied for fourth in Dallas scoring and would be in sixth if he played for the Canucks.

The kid is very impressive and Bo will play in the AHL next year.I think that's his point.

He was 18 two weeks ago.

He has 30 NHL points.

He is tied for eighth in points amongst 184 NHL rookies.

He is accomplishing that with less than 15 minutes of ice per game.

He is the youngest rookie in the top eight,save MacKinnon.

He is tied for fourth in Dallas scoring and would be in sixth if he played for the Canucks.

The kid is very impressive and Bo will play in the AHL next year.I think that's his point.

Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin would like to say hi. If Nichushkin got 2nd/3rd line minutes, guaranteed he wouldn't be doing anywhere near as good as he is right now.

And by the way, know your facts before posting them. Horvat still has another year of junior eligibility and will more than likely be our third line center next year.

Jamie Benn and Tyler Seguin would like to say hi. If Nichushkin got 2nd/3rd line minutes, guaranteed he wouldn't be doing anywhere near as good as he is right now.

And by the way, know your facts before posting them. Horvat still has another year of junior eligibility and will more than likely be our third line center next year.

Nichushkin is far from a coattail rider.

That's like saying Daniel Sedin rides on the coattails of Henrik Sedin.

Good players compliment eachother, there's no way Lindy Ruff would keep a garbage collector on the 1st line.

I have never said a bad word against Horvat.Doubtful that he plays junior next year when he could play in the AHL.

I call homer BS on the third line NHL fantasy thing you have happening.

Archived