The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you move Schroeder?

Ugli Fruit

If so, for what kind of return? Big winger like a Voracek type? Young pmd like Hedman? A veteran backup maybe?

All three may be viable, at least under present circumstances. That said, there might be some reasons to keep him as well.

Schroeder is on the short side, yes. However he isn't, "small". He is stocky, which means he is at least pretty stable and not very easy to knock down (recall Brad Marchand, for example). This can translate into agility AND balance, two things a lot of bigger players fall short on. Add his good pace/hands and he has potential there.

He is also a hybrid of a playmaker and scorer. He can do both equally well, and that makes him very versatile. Regardless of whether or not he can transition to wing, he will synergize with a wider group of people and complement them appropriately.

I recall in the first intermission vs Washington, Schroeder was asked about his linemates (I think it was Matthias and Booth or Kassian), and he was talking about how they were creating enough space for him to be able to think more about his game. That goes to show that not all three forwards have to be massive to be dangerous.

I personally think he could be an asset - a younger and potentially better Derek Roy, if you will. Shouldn't really be built around him, but is a very, very good complementary forward who will not be that expensive (his lack of size may eat into his value, especially in the west).

Thoughts?

Edit: please stop b!tching about the examples used. They are examples of big wingers and puck moving d-men, not trade offers for Schroeder. Sad how it just takes one word for at least half of CDC to completely lose track of what they were reading. Sigh

I like him for that 3rd line centre, he is capable ofmaking that nice seeing eye pass, he needs peopke who can finish, maybe Hansen n Higgins would be key, get to the open spot, have someone work with him on the faceoff, he is pretty good though, and he does have a nice shot. Do all 3rd line centres have to be grinding checking centres??

He's more valuable to us than the potential return. I'd like him to at least be here at training camp next year to provide some competition for Horvat and Gaunce.

i agree ... at this point he really hasn't proven himself to be a starting nhler .. gotta say I'm bummed .. thought he would have more of an impact .. still early though

Schroeder is older than Hedman and a hell of a lot worst. Voracek is about a year older and a hell of a lot better. Not to mention both Tampa and Philly are playoff teams.

If that is the return you want better hold on to Jordan and hope he surpassed them in numbers then offer the trade. Otherwise none of them would consider it

If so, for what kind of return? Big winger like a Voracek type? Young pmd like Hedman? A veteran backup maybe?

All three may be viable, at least under present circumstances. That said, there might be some reasons to keep him as well.

Schroeder is on the short side, yes. However he isn't, "small". He is stocky, which means he is at least pretty stable and not very easy to knock down (recall Brad Marchand, for example). This can translate into agility AND balance, two things a lot of bigger players fall short on. Add his good pace/hands and he has potential there.

He is also a hybrid of a playmaker and scorer. He can do both equally well, and that makes him very versatile. Regardless of whether or not he can transition to wing, he will synergize with a wider group of people and complement them appropriately.

I recall in the first intermission vs Washington, Schroeder was asked about his linemates (I think it was Matthias and Booth or Kassian), and he was talking about how they were creating enough space for him to be able to think more about his game. That goes to show that not all three forwards have to be massive to be dangerous.

I personally think he could be an asset - a younger and potentially better Derek Roy, if you will. Shouldn't really be built around him, but is a very, very good complementary forward who will not be that expensive (his lack of size may eat into his value, especially in the west).

Thoughts?

I'm drunk too but this is ludicrous. Voracek? You gotta be kidding. He might garner a 4th rounder.

i agree ... at this point he really hasn't proven himself to be a starting nhler .. gotta say I'm bummed .. thought he would have more of an impact .. still early though

A lot of smaller guys take a while to make an impact. Briere and St. Louis immediately come to mind. Not saying he's going to be that good, but he could still pan out to be a solid NHLer.

In a heartbeat..

Where do you see this kid in a couple of years? I don't think he will be good enough for the top 6 and probably not the guy for a bottom 6 role

failed 1st rounder

What do you get in return for him now? Schroeder has more potential than whoever we get back for him is likely to have.

OH MY GOD!

We're keeping Schroeder... he'll sign for 1.5 and be on the third w Kass.

JS is developing.. He had a high ankle sprain... if you don't know what that entails you either

A. Don't get off your couch or computer chair

B. Have no patience for proper development ( see EDM )

C. Are leeching your parents wifi.

PS... JS is one hell of a prospect. Patience boy, patience.

He doesn't really fit anywhere. He's most certainly not a 1c and we have Horvat/Gaunce/Matthias/Fox/Kesler?/Sedin? to fit the 2c and 3c. He could fit on the wing but again, there are more viable options. And he really wouldn't fetch us a lot. Raymond 2.0?

Hey look everyone, it's another CDC poster posting how they WAY over value Canucks fringe players. Hedman is the 2nd overall from 2009. Schroeder couldn't carry his golf bag.

Such a huge overvaluing that I have to hope it's a joke. He's worth about a 3rd rounder at the moment. (Not that I'd trade him for that return)

Archived