The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you move Schroeder?

Ugli Fruit

Exactly, and who wrote the assessment? Probably the Canucks scouting staff...

It was the NHL Central Scouting who wrote that... Do you even know Schroeder's minor league stats? The guy should have been a top 10 pick, and would have been if he was even 3 inches taller.

u don't move young players, you move the older ones.

schroeder is not a washout, he has tons of potential. same people were saying we should move Jensen - look at him now (obviously that isn't permanent, but it might be if they just break up the sedins completely - they should break them up permanently).

if you are saying move him because of imagined fits on the team - don't forget that he can play wing too

Your potential as a player isn't infinite. 5 training camps and still no permanent spot? He is on his last legs as a prospect. He is AHL material. Stop-gap call-ups are in his future. He is a throw-in to any deal or can maybe net you a mid-round draft pick or even better, the classic change of scenario trade with another team's bubble prospect.

Your potential as a player isn't infinite. 5 training camps and still no permanent spot? He is on his last legs as a prospect. He is AHL material. Stop-gap call-ups are in his future. He is a throw-in to any deal or can maybe net you a mid-round draft pick or even better, the classic change of scenario trade with another team's bubble prospect.

he is 23 year and has been set back by multiple injuries oh and people said the same crap about Jensen at he is even younger just goes to show how much knowledge some people think they have when it comes to rookies and prospects just because they aren't lighting it up the year they are drafted and don't make the nhl means bust for some CDC experts

The question I have is if he could be signed to a 2 way deal. He has some skill but if he is your third line centre, it makes the team weaker. That would mean Horvat and or Gaunce being unable to beat him out of a spot.

A 2 way deal wouldn't do anything for us unfortunately. :sadno: We would just lose him on waivers if we tried to send him to AHL because he's waiver eligible. Not that he'd sign a 2 way deal since a few teams would at least throw the league minimum at him for a 1 year contract. He's in the same type of situation Santorelli was in with Florida. Injuries, questionable production etc...

showing flashes of holding a 3rd or 4th line job on a bad team at age 23 and on pace for 10 points...

So maybe he will see a similar light Santorelli saw? The fear of God, and his NHL career flashing before his eyes should see him at a whole new level of being willing to assert himself. And we'll bring him back to push guys like Horvat before they earn a spot. If he earns a roster spot next year, he will have put a lot more on the line than we have ever seen!

You sure have a way with patronizing Surfer.

First of all, yes, Schroeder has played primarily fourth line minutes, with scant opportunities on a team presently lacking depth. That is the context in which his production has come. Second, he has 6 points in 20 games - again, in that context - which is actually a 25 pt pace/82 games. He also has the 5th best relative and corsi on underlying numbers on the team.

Third and perhaps most importantly, he had repeated shoulder injuries to end last season, offseason surgery, and then returned to two ankle fractures/breaks, from which he's recovered to play marginal minutes, his 20 games spread out over a couple of recovery periods.

So patronize the young man with your acontextual and somewhat arrogant "fear of God, career flashing before his eyes, unwilling to assert himself" story - but the reality remains that you have entirely whiffed on the actual context of his opportunities. I heard virtually endless parallel comments made about Jensen through the better part of this season. Premature and vacant assumptions from afar that he was failing to live up to expectations/his potential.

You can look down at Schroeder from your high horse for the time being, but don't be surprised if you eat your words. What was your word on Jensen? What was your word on the Richardson and Santorelli signings?

Schroeder didn't set all time WJC records for the US National Team being a mindless (pardon the irony) surfer unwilling to assert himself. You've seen perhaps 20 games of 3rd, 4th line minutes. Perhaps you're not ready to write the story.

Teams like Wash, Car, Mtl, all seem to need depth at center and/or RW. Package Schroeder/Kassian or Hansen SHOULD get a somswhat decent return.

Gillis traded Kellen Munchkin for Dalpe. Now Dalpe isnt much to write home about but he is further ahead than Munchkin. Anything is possible

Alot of posters here are right in sayin thst Schroeder doesnt fit on this team next year.

Teams like Wash, Car, Mtl, all seem to need depth at center and/or RW. Package Schroeder/Kassian or Hansen SHOULD get a somswhat decent return.

Gillis traded Kellen Munchkin for Dalpe. Now Dalpe isnt much to write home about but he is further ahead than Munchkin. Anything is possible

Alot of posters here are right in sayin thst Schroeder doesnt fit on this team next year.

4th round pick for Dalpe, more or less what we would get for Schroeder.

Zuccarello struggled at Schroeder's age. In fact, he spent his second pro NA season mostly in the AHL. Now he is the Rangers best offensive player (1 point behind team lead with 5 less games played).

Schroeder would fetch a 2nd at most. He has little value right now.

Would be lucky on a 2nd. He has had an opportunity but not done much. Coming back from his injury pretty much nixed his season. The issue becomes whether this is what is to be expected thru his career. I

suspect that to be the case. Minny might have been a destination at one time but they have moved beyond

a PR need such as Schroeder.

The one thing i've really noticed is he's getting outskated by big guys, that's a problem. When you're undersized you'd better be incredibly fast or incredibly skilled, he is neither.

I do think there is something there and we can't really afford to be tossing guys that can pass the puck, but there clearly isn't a spot for him unless he moves to wing. He should have taken a 2 way contract and still be in the AHL.

As for trade, he's got no value we'd be taking a bath.

The one thing i've really noticed is he's getting outskated by big guys, that's a problem. When you're undersized you'd better be incredibly fast or incredibly skilled, he is neither.

I do think there is something there and we can't really afford to be tossing guys that can pass the puck, but there clearly isn't a spot for him unless he moves to wing. He should have taken a 2 way contract and still be in the AHL.

As for trade, he's got no value we'd be taking a bath.

Doesn't matter if he has a one way or two way contract because he's waiver eligible. Without a doubt he'd be claimed if he went on waivers. A two way contract only means you get paid less in the AHL. It doesn't mean you can freely move back and forth.

Didn't we learn with burrows, Raymond and kesler that it takes a while to come back from injury?. Maybe give hithe off season to get his strength/conditioning back up to speed and see how he goes.

Yet it takes some guys no time at all. Schroeder needs to step his game up. I'm no talent scout but i've personally seen enough of him that if I never saw in the lineup again I wouldn't be upset.

Didn't we learn with burrows, Raymond and kesler that it takes a while to come back from injury?. Maybe give hithe off season to get his strength/conditioning back up to speed and see how he goes.

His problem is that he doesn't have infinite time to prove he belongs. Injuries or not, he needs to start showing he belongs or other prospects will surpass him and there simply will not be room for him. Then what does the team do with him?

His NHL career is precarious.

Right, I forgot that. Point being, he should still be in the AHL.

I don't disagree but if we send him down, he'd get claimed. How do you propose that works with us retaining him?

Archived