The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you move Schroeder?

Ugli Fruit

For the record, I'm not suggesting we trade him. I agree he has little value at this time.

The real question is just what the hell we DO we do with him and when if he can't rise above the competition this year, next year etc...

I agree with you there ..personally ,I think he should be given one more shot @ $600K next season...It's going to be a boom or bust season for him next year...I would not want to be the GM that just lets him walk..

I agree with you there ..personally ,I think he should be given one more shot @ $600K next season...It's going to be a boom or bust season for him next year...I would not want to be the GM that just lets him walk..

Yup, you just know the season we let him walk, he'll go sign a cheap contract with Minnesota or the like and LIGHT IT UP! :mad::lol:

Schroeder has shown his skill at the NHL level. I don't think he's big, strong, or skilled enough to be more than a depth forward at the NHL level though. He's not going to turn into Marty St. Louis 2.0 guys. Something pretty drastic/miraculous would have to happen in order for him to reach that level.

If Schroeders ceiling is just a depth forward..then he really has no future..Something drastic does have to happen..The question is..have you you seen all there is to see after only 50 NHL games..?

Schroeder has shown his skill at the NHL level. I don't think he's big, strong, or skilled enough to be more than a depth forward at the NHL level though. He's not going to turn into Marty St. Louis 2.0 guys. Something pretty drastic/miraculous would have to happen in order for him to reach that level.

The analogy is quite ironic.

The Lames gave up on St Louis and bought him out after 69 NHL games - he had 4 goals and 16 assists.

Shredder has 6 goals and 15 points in 51.

sign schroeder to another year at league minimum and send him down before the season. if he gets claimed, oh well. if not, let him toil in the ahl either forever or until he dominates the league.

Gets claimed, instantly turns in to St. Loius 2.0.

CDC calls for Gillis' head. Again.

For the record, I'm not suggesting we trade him. I agree he has little value at this time.

The real question is just what the hell we DO we do with him and when, if he can't rise above the competition this year, next year etc...

Then you waive him or try to get a pick for him. It sucks but it happens.

I think we're better off giving him the opportunity to beat Horvat for a 3rd line job than trading him for a low draft pick. If he takes the opportunity and beats our other prospects, then great. If the other guys take over, great, another kid is nhl ready.

At this point there's no harm in seeing if he emerges as a solid nhler for us, even if the window of opportunity is small. Nobody is going to be saying we shoulda got a 4th rounder for him at the draft if he craps the bed at camp... Who am I kidding, this is cdc haha

Edit I'll also add if we send Horvat back to junior. We still have the opportunity to keep other centres down in utica if Schroeder shows improvements. If he's not working out, gaunce fox shinkaruk can be called up and JS waived...

However if he does show improvements, his stock rises. Then if we're making another deal this time next year. Let's say just for the hell of it bieksa is being traded, Schroeder could be an attractive young piece if we're targeting a young player in a trade. The we're still getting a young player back so I can part with one of mine, mentality.

I have never been one of those fans to panic, overreact, or respond emotionally/negatively to the way the Canucks are managed or how prospects are developing. So my true analysis on Jordan Schroeder is, "He's pretty much done for the Canucks, and it's best to package him up in the off-season." He is too small play in the bottom 6, and he is not talented enough to hold a top 6 position come next season or thereafter over such players/prospects like Kassian, Horvat, Shink, and whatever forward the Canucks happen to draft this year. I think he is a fine player, but just fine. Would I move Schroeder? Not by himself, because the return would be a prospect that is as much (most likely more) of a bust. No, the best move would be to try and package him in a deal with someone like Tanev (or if he'll waive, Edler) to try and land something in return. On his own, Schroeder holds no value. He's a throw in player at this point in a trade, not a centerpiece.

I have never been one of those fans to panic, overreact, or respond emotionally/negatively to the way the Canucks are managed or how prospects are developing. So my true analysis on Jordan Schroeder is, "He's pretty much done for the Canucks, and it's best to package him up in the off-season." He is too small play in the bottom 6, and he is not talented enough to hold a top 6 position come next season or thereafter over such players/prospects like Kassian, Horvat, Shink, and whatever forward the Canucks happen to draft this year. I think he is a fine player, but just fine. Would I move Schroeder? Not by himself, because the return would be a prospect that is as much (most likely more) of a bust. No, the best move would be to try and package him in a deal with someone like Tanev (or if he'll waive, Edler) to try and land something in return. On his own, Schroeder holds no value. He's a throw in player at this point in a trade, not a centerpiece.

I've thought this too. Wonder if something like Kesler, Tanev, Schroeder (plus maybe a a couple moving parts of picks/prospects) would get Weber out of Nashville...?

(Based on Kesler actually wanting out and actually waiving to go there...long shot).

I've thought this too. Wonder if something like Kesler, Tanev, Schroeder (plus maybe a a couple moving parts of picks/prospects) would get Weber out of Nashville...?

(Based on Kesler actually wanting out and actually waiving to go there...long shot).

How about the Sedins for Weber.

Yeah, keeping Schroeder at this point holds more value then trading him; unless, of course, Kesler/Edler were to waive NTCs. Otherwise, management would be moving Schroeder for an equally disappointing prospect in return. I like him and believe he has a good "team first" attitude, but he is not talented enough play top 6 minutes, and not hard enough to play bottom 6. He'll carve out a good career in Europe or the AHL (like Jason Krog). But if Hodgson couldn't crack the top 6, then Schroeder surely can't once Horvat, Gaunce, Shink are ready (earliest next season).

Yeah, keeping Schroeder at this point holds more value then trading him; unless, of course, Kesler/Edler were to waive NTCs. Otherwise, management would be moving Schroeder for an equally disappointing prospect in return. I like him and believe he has a good "team first" attitude, but he is not talented enough play top 6 minutes, and not hard enough to play bottom 6. He'll carve out a good career in Europe or the AHL (like Jason Krog). But if Hodgson couldn't crack the top 6, then Schroeder surely can't once Horvat, Gaunce, Shink are ready (earliest next season).

Yeah totally agree. On his own he holds more value to us as a prospect. But if we could swing something like Weber I'd be more than happy to lose his (and Tanev's) promise.

That D is drool worthy:

Edler, Weber

Hamhuis, Bieksa

Stanton, Garrison

Weber, Corrado *drool*

Sorry...bored and daydreaming...lol

I think the decision next year for the Nucks will be hard. They now have a strong group up the middle if Horvat can make the jump

Henrik

Kesler

Santo (assume he'll be resigned and lucky for nucks he will come cheap bc of the injury)

Richardson

Horvat

Schroeder

Mattias

I think the best lines if all work out will be

Burr / Henrik / Jensen

Daniel / Horvat / Kesler

Matthias / Santo/Schroeder / Kassian

Higgins / Richardson / Hansen

Therefore the challenge will be Santo or Schroeder. I don't know if Schroeder in the minors will help him so they will have a very important decision to make.

I don't think Santo is really a 2c so not sure what happens if Horvat isn't ready....best outcome for the nucks is that Horvat is ready but if not, problem becomes 2w - the issue we've always had..

Decent lineup. If Horvat isn't ready I would put Kesler back in the middle with Santorelli on his wing.

Archived