The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NCCA Free agents available

Fred65

How about taking a throw of the dice on this guy B)

Oleg Yevenko, Defence, UMass-Amherst (6’7″ 250 lbs): A huge Belarussian defenceman, the 23-year-old isn’t known for his offence, scoring just three points in his three seasons at UMass-Amherst. He showed an ability to fight in his USHL days. He’s improved as a skater and plays a decent defensive game. He’s a ways away from playing in the NHL, but some teams may see that size and potential to be a shutdown defenceman as an intriguing project for their AHL team.

the full list of prospective NCAA FA

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/03/16/college-free-agents-class-2014-part-4/

This guy already signed ??

Mike Zalewski, LW, RPI (6’2″ 209 lbs) Signed with the Vancouver Canucks:

Think this thread is in the wrong section but if I were apart of the Canucks managment I would look at the following players:

Trevor van Riemsdyk, D, New Hampshire (6’2″ 185 lbs): The brother of Maple Leafs star James van Reimsdyk, many thought that Trevor would leave school last year after an all-american sophomore season at New Hampshire. However he went back for his junior year and had four goals and 23 points in 26 games and was well on his way to another all-american nomination before an ugly ankle injury ended his season in January. He’s one of the top offensive defencemen in the NCAA with outstanding mobility and great skating ability, good vision and passing skill, and a hard shot. Prior to his injury he had taken his defensive game up a notch by becoming more physical in his own end of the ice. If he decides to come out this seaseon he’ll be a top player in this class, but he may decide to finish his college career.

He's also a righty

Ryan Walters, LW, Nebraska-Omaha (6’0 196 lbs): With 22 goals and 52 points in 39 games in 2012-13, many assumed that Walters would sign a pro contract last season. Instead, went back for his senior season, and has just six goals and 31 points in 34 games this season. A down season has taken some of the luster off this now 22-year-old senior. He has good hands, a quick shot and an excellent release. He grinds on the boards and is a smart playmaker who is able to cycle the puck and then thread the needle to set up teammates. However its not just his offensive skill that makes him one to watch, Walters is also an agitator who gets under his opponents skin and plays the game on the edge. He’ll still be sought after this season, but not nearly as much as he was last spring.

F Greg Carey out of St. Lawrence is the best NHL prospect in the class but he is a top 6 or bust type of guy. Amazing shot though

D Kenney Morrison from western michigan is getting a lot of press too. Top defender NCAA UFA. Was a teammate of Dekeyser, but doesn't have the same ceiling.

C Austin Czarnik would be a great pickup as well, not as elite of a shot as carey, but a more well rounded offensive game.

D Ahti Oksanen is a big fin who can run a PP, like TVR

You know Gilles and the team will be searching for any free agents they think that could be a fit. They seem to average one signing a year. Wonder who it will be this year?

Already signed Zalewski, but I could see a defender also getting signed

Christian Folin would be nice. He's a 6'3 Swedish defenceman and his home town isn't to far away from the Sedin's. He's actually one of the best Free Agents this year and the Nucks were trying to sign him last year but I believe he wanted to stay another year in school.

Watch this shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfscKmVfhVE#t=22

Question.....say we have a kid comin out of college and he is a senior and his season is over, thus forcing him to sign....what is his timeline to sign? Is it july 1st? Or just when his season is over?

I ask because Kevin Hayes is all done and should Chicago not sign him.....

There's a difference between UFA's and draftees. Once a UFA's season is done in college he is free to sign at any time. Draftees have until some time in June I believe, if they don't sign by that specific date they become UFA's. This is how Vancouver signed Bill Sweatt but I forget the specific date, and don't know if it has changed under the new cba

There's a difference between UFA's and draftees. Once a UFA's season is done in college he is free to sign at any time. Draftees have until some time in June I believe, if they don't sign by that specific date they become UFA's. This is how Vancouver signed Bill Sweatt but I forget the specific date, and don't know if it has changed under the new cba

thanks..I thought so...much appreciated.

Would be great to reel Hayes in

i can't pull up the thread at the moment, this was discussed at length last year in the jeremy price talk thread. if i remember correctly, we needed to sign price on or before july 15 or he would become a ufa. I can't say thats the date for sure, but i am pretty sure it was mid july.

Think this thread is in the wrong section but if I were apart of the Canucks managment I would look at the following players:

Trevor van Riemsdyk, D, New Hampshire (6’2″ 185 lbs): The brother of Maple Leafs star James van Reimsdyk, many thought that Trevor would leave school last year after an all-american sophomore season at New Hampshire. However he went back for his junior year and had four goals and 23 points in 26 games and was well on his way to another all-american nomination before an ugly ankle injury ended his season in January. He’s one of the top offensive defencemen in the NCAA with outstanding mobility and great skating ability, good vision and passing skill, and a hard shot. Prior to his injury he had taken his defensive game up a notch by becoming more physical in his own end of the ice. If he decides to come out this seaseon he’ll be a top player in this class, but he may decide to finish his college career.

He's also a righty

Signed with the blackhawks yesterday. Folin and Oksanen still available I believe

The Canucks need to push hard for Folin, and trade one of their top 5.

I would only trade a top 5 if directly / indirectly we also acquired the PMD / PP QB we (some of us) also crave.

Hamhuis / Bieksa

Garrison / Folin That is a big imposing 2 way pair!

Hamhuis / Tanev

- Who cares which pair is 1, 2 or 3?

Stanton and Corrado depth. Awesome!

Signed with the blackhawks yesterday. Folin and Oksanen still available I believe

Folin is still playing...in the Frozen Four coming up soon

Oksanen-Folin

Taker-Morrison

Just a few Dmen to put the squeeze on our current D prospects

Oksanen-Folin could be a great tandem on paper..... Both, imo, are better than Corrado

Thus also shoving current prospects such as Sauve, Andersson, Biega and even Tommernes down a few pegs as well.

Suddenly our Defensive prospect depth looks a little brighter

Folin

Oksanen

Corrado

Hutton

Taker

McEneny

Subban

Cederholm

Liberati

All sizable dudes, with the exception to Subban

http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2014/03/12/college-hockey-free-agent-tracker-2014/

found this list....didnt see Oksanen's name on it. Possibly staying another year to brush-up on his keener studies?

Christian Folin D So. UMass-Lowell

Kevin Goumas C Sr. New Hampshire^

Alexander Krushelnyski LW Colorado College^

Clay Witt G Jr. (RS) Northeastern^

Kenney Morrison D So. Western Michigan^

David Makowski D Sr. Denver

Shayne Taker D Sr. Notre Dame

Mark Zengerle C Sr. Wisconsin

Daniel ODonaghue C Sr. Mercyhurst^

Oleg Yevenko D Jr. UMass^

Sam Warning LW Jr. Minnesota

Austin Czarnik C Jr. Miami^

Jordan Oesterle D Jr. Western Michigan^

Mat Bodie D Sr. Union

Chris McCarthy C Sr. Vermont

Daniel Carr LW Sr. Union

Andrew Calof C Sr. Princeton^

Ryan Faragher G Jr. St. Cloud State

Doug Carr G Sr. UMass-Lowell

Steven Summerhays G Sr. Notre Dame

Matthew Zay W Jr. Mercyhurst^

Joel Rumpel G Jr. Wisconsin

^= season is done

I remember Mat Bodie from his PR Kings day in the BCHL. He was always the best player on the ice, didn't matter who we played. Like most BCHLer's who have that much talent, they're pretty small and he is that, small. I have no idea how he's filled out over the last four years but man if he's grown I can't say enough about him. We used to have out of town people come watch our games to watch Bodie play. My favorite Bodie story is during the playoffs his last year here. We were playing the Victoria grizzles and Geoff Courtnal was their coach (his son, drafted by Tampa played on the team). Well Russ and his Dad were at every game in PR, while I was doing security I asked if they were their to support their nephew/grandson and both said no, they just love watching Mat Bodie play. His brother was also on the team, but Mat was the most dynamic.

Archived