The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Rookies 2014-2015

4everacanuck13

I just want to ask, which rookie do you guys think will make or SHOULD make the roster next season?

I call Horvat. Hes going to be our 3rd Line Center. Jensen should probably get a full time role now because hes been really good. Shinkaruk will most likely be down in AHL because of his injury. Fox will be in AHL.

Horvat, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Tommernes, Corrado, Grenier, Blain. Three of these guys make the team.

This is assuming we keep Jensen stays up next year.

Give Torts as many malleable young players to learn his "system" as front office can and trade a three or four of vets.

Without trades...

I'd like to see

Jensen, Horvat and Shinkaruk but Shink will be in tough to make it.

I'd like to see Gaunce get called up at one point next year when there is an injury on the bottom 6.

I don't see Booth getting bought out. He only has a year left on his contract and it's not like we are going for a championship and need the cap space. We will prob ride out Booth's contract which means one less roster spot for a rookie.

For defence, I think Corrado is the only rook that will get some time

I expect Jensen to make the team out of camp, he has been such a nice surprise over the past few games. I expect Horvat to get a 9 game look and moved around a lot throughout the line-up to see if he can pick up some chemistry with somebody and where his game is at. With the way Shinkaruk performed during pre-season anything can happen but I expect him to spend most of his year in Utica. Archibald (considered rookie?) have a chance to make it as well.

Prab Rai

I thought of that joke then saw you posted it <_<

Jensen will still be a rookie in 2014-'15 so he is a definite. I fully expect Horvat to make the grade. As for the others, I see very little chance for Gaunce to make the Nucks with the likes of Hank, Kes, Horvat, Matthias and Richardson ahead of him (possibly Lain as well), while Fox may fight it out with Shinkaruk for a shot early in the season. Shink was close to staying with the Nucks last summer if I remember correctly - I wonder if he has it in him after such a difficult season to once again impress the Nucks brass? I'd love him to of course.

I could see Horvat as the Canucks third line center next year.

Physically he is big enough and already defensively aware and comes from a pro-style Junior program.

The only question with him and Guance just like it was with Jensen is how much has he improved his skating to get more explosive to keep up to the NHL pace.

Jensen clearly has worked on his stride and looks much faster than when he first came up last year for a cup of coffee.

Though I'm sure both will manage with just decent instead of great speed because of their smarts and positional awareness.

Ideally you throw them all together Grenier, Cassels, Subban, Fox, Horvat, Guance, Shinkaruk, Corrado, Tommernes, Archibald, Lain etc.

Hopefully everyone on this list is eligible to play in the AHL plus any prospects/ young players the Canucks get back from a trade or two maybe in the summer.

Then you let them have healthy internal competition and push each other and leave 3/4 spots open for guys to battle it out and take.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Higgins-Matthias-Santorelli

Jensen?-Horvat?-Kassian

Archibald/Lain? Richardson-Dalpe

extra Sestito

D

Edler-Garrison

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Stanton-Tommernes

Extra Sauve, Weber

Goalies Lack, Markstrom/ veteran back up?

Likely trade bait to get a good young player or two: Kesler,Hansen, Schroeder, Tanev, Corrado,

Yeah, what a bust. Can't even force the CHL and AHL to grant him exceptional status.

Hunter and Brendan have both played 4 years of CHL...that is a requirement to playing AHL. Let then hit their stride in minor pro's....much like Jensen did....then call them up.

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Jensen

Burrows- Schroeder- Kassian

Higgins-Mathias-Hansen

Sestito-Richardson-Archibald

This could be current foreseeable line-up, assuming Kesler gets traded. Schroeder holds the 2nd line or unless Santorelli re-signs and takes that spot. Orrr....unless a guy like Horvat or summer UFA or possible return for Kesler plays 2nd C

Hunter and Brendan have both played 4 years of CHL...that is a requirement to playing AHL. Let then hit their stride in minor pro's....much like Jensen did....then call them up.

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Jensen

Burrows- Schroeder- Kassian

Higgins-Mathias-Hansen

Sestito-Richardson-Archibald

This could be current foreseeable line-up, assuming Kesler gets traded. Schroeder holds the 2nd line or unless Santorelli re-signs and takes that spot. Orrr....unless a guy like Horvat or summer UFA or possible return for Kesler plays 2nd C

Schroeder as second line centre? man... you must be shooting for McDavid

I expect Jensen to make the team out of camp, he has been such a nice surprise over the past few games. I expect Horvat to get a 9 game look and moved around a lot throughout the line-up to see if he can pick up some chemistry with somebody and where his game is at. With the way Shinkaruk performed during pre-

season anything can happen but I expect him to spend most of his year in Utica. Archibald (considered

rookie?) have a chance to make it as well.

Yensen has had a strong showing but it is only 4 games. No lock on anything. Horvat is intriguing and I agree he gets a look.

The big interest for me is what Kesler brings back. The biggest concern this season for me was Van's

d-core which seemed to hang on in desperate measure in many games. That said this group does have a

high caliber potential. I am hoping that Van deals Kesler for the young puck moving dman they have

needed. Tanev has exceeded my expectations and has shown a hugh progression this year. I now expect him to get even better.

MacT's deal to get Perron was one of the best off season deals last summer. Gillis can supplement his

drafts by picking up UFA's. He has added CAP space and I do believe he will buy Booth out. I believe

this is the last year of buy-outs. Maybe they move him and take salary back. As yet we do not know what

Kesler will bring back, what draft position the Canucks will sink to or if any other vets are dealt

(Edler). A lot of unknowns.

I still consider Van's position far superior to Calgary. I think Hartley is doing a top job and

sometimes wish he was in Van. There is absolutely no doubt that his young players are playing for him.

Canucks have some solid young prospects and should have a good draft position.

Archived