The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are we really that bad?

icycold

Seems to me people are blowing our situation way out of proportion so badly that one would think our jersey's have a Panther Logo on it or something.

Seriously though, reality is this. Next year is going to be the year that the canucks will finally break into the elite category. We have veterans on the team, younger guys trying to make a push, and the prospects like Jensen pushing as well.

No matter what, most of the team is this with the cap space left over (estimated) looks pretty good! This is with the high degree that Booth will be bought out or traded at least for a pick.

Sedin, Daniel

Sedin, Henrik

Kesler, Ryan

Burrows, Alexandre

Higgins, Chris

Hansen, Jannik

Sestito, Tom

Matthias, Shawn

For 8 forward roster spots at the cap of roughly 28 million

+ Defense cap of 22 million (complete)

+ Goalie cap of only 2 million.

All together (roughly) the cap of 52 million, with the projected space of 70.7 million minus Lou's left over salary. the cap is now roughly 18 million to fill 4 roster spots.

Not including other roster players who either will be traded or possibly one more shot at it like Kass and santo's the cap space then it's only down to 2 or 3 spots if one included a goalie upgrade by a few million it should leave us at around 12 million for 2 spots and that's not even including a guy like Jensen or Horvat getting a shot.

Sure some of this is *roughly* but it's not that far off, So HOW is this such a horrible situation to be in? So many people have said oh we won't be in the running for years to come, we suck there's no hope!

What's with that??? This isn't so bad, c'mon seriously! I know i don't exactly like the reality of having to wait until next season before we get 2-3 big names in here to get us into the Elite of the league and go for the cup but that's the way it is. We are not far off, the sky isn't falling!

We are bad if nothing happens between now and next season. I don't even think we need huge changes, just cut off some dead weight....Edler....and get another promising player, any position, make the right pick in the draft. Things could look okay in a couple years. A lot depends on our current captain, he can't pull a Danny.

I like and appreciate your optimism but no part of me thinks we will be in the 'elite' category next year, or even the year after. Maybe your using the wrong word or we have different meanings for it. However, we are nowhere near the levels of the Blackhawks, Ducks, Sharks, Blues, Bruins and you could even include very strong upcoming teams like the Avs and the Bolts.

The addition of one player (Jensen) and possibly a 2nd (Horvat) in his rookie season will not make us elite. I do agree that the team we've seen this year is not the team which these players represent. We've been smashed by major injuries at key times to key players, a whole new coaching structure and change along with constant news and distractions this season.

I think we will definitely have a stronger season next year (pending any crazy injuries again) but I think we will be bottom of the barrel in the playoffs and several years of development away from being 'elite'.

You haven't looked at the 2014 UFA list have you? It's pretty weak.

Besides, this team needs to get younger, faster and stronger.

The last thing we need is to get into bidding wars with 20 other teams to try to land another 30 year old free agent or two looking to cash in by commanding long-term and expensive contracts.

This guy is speaking the truth.

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen(This line could ignite Daniel and be a force)=160+ points

Burrows-Kesler-Moulson(Kesler gets two good line mates for once)=160 points

Higgins-Horvat-Kassian(Could be a great 2-way line)=120 points

Matthias-Richardson-Hansen(Matthias and Richardson can do serious damage)60+ points

This lineup can compete with the likes of Chicago, Ana, Blues and Sharks plus we still have like 6 million in cap left

Have to dis-agree with most, i can totally see 2-3 big named players in here next season and guys like Jensen etc who will be subbing in for injuries. I can easily see a big trade happening.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER

Canucks

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m)

Matt Moulson ($6.133m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Bo Horvat ($0.925m) / Zack Kassian ($1.551m)

Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Jannik Hansen ($2.500m)

Mike Santorelli ($2.550m) / Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) / Chris Tanev ($3.000m)

Yannick Weber ($0.715m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jacob Markstrom ($1.200m)

Eddie Lack ($1.150m)

BUYOUTS

David Booth ($0.000m)

Keith Ballard ($0.000m)

RETAINED SALARIES (1.13% of upper limit)

Roberto Luongo ($0.800m—15.00%)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(estimations for 2014-15)

SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,287,166; BONUSES: $850,000

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $812,834

I dont think we are that bad..we just arent very good.

Agreed; if Danny finds his form again and Burr stays hot, regardless of whatever lines they're on, then I think this team has a fighting chance of being good still (though again they may decline further). There are definitely good guys available in the Bottom 6, so if the Top 6 can produce together then they can do some great things.

Burr/ Danny - Hank - Jensen

Danny/Higgy/Shink - Kes* - Kass/Hansen/ Booth

Higgy/ Booth - Matthias/ Horvat - Hansen

Archibald - Richardson/ Lain/ Welsh - Dalpe

This guy is speaking the truth.

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen(This line could ignite Daniel and be a force)=160+ points

Burrows-Kesler-Moulson(Kesler gets two good line mates for once)=160 points

Higgins-Horvat-Kassian(Could be a great 2-way line)=120 points

Matthias-Richardson-Hansen(Matthias and Richardson can do serious damage)60+ points

This lineup can compete with the likes of Chicago, Ana, Blues and Sharks plus we still have like 6 million in cap left

Daniel should have to earn his spot and not just be given the top line position. He has been brutal this year. Hank has been playing some of his best hockey in a couple year with Burrows and Jensen. If that keeps up, leave it as is. Hank has been more creative and hanging onto the puck more with Jensen on his line an d using all 4 players on the ice. Put Daniel on that line and it will revert right back to the back and forth cycle in the corner Dan and Hank always do.

Matthias deserves a 3rd line role more so than Kassian based on what we have seen so far. Kassian needs to start bringing it consistently or he will find himself a 4th line grinder for his career.

To the above......Matt Moulson and a couple of rookie players are not enough to get this team into elite territory.

Our D is incredibly expensive and overrated. Daniel Sedin is a shell of his former goal scoring self. We need a game breaking scorer or two on this team. And we need D who can play D consistently.

It's simple to look at this team with no context and say they're not that bad.

It gets worse though when you compare this team with other teams. Especially western teams.

A lot worse.

Other teams are better and will continue to leave this team in their wake unless something major takes place.

Not to mention signing Setoguchi to start of with, not a lefty but still is available and won't be had for probably more than 4 mil. Then i'd do what i could to trade for a Top center with the remaining cap $ and maybe just maybe see what could be done for another D-man.

Whoa Matt M for 6 mil??? what??? oh thats crazy!!

What's with that??? This isn't so bad, c'mon seriously! I know i don't exactly like the reality of having to wait until next season before we get 2-3 big names in here to get us into the Elite of the league and go for the cup but that's the way it is. We are not far off, the sky isn't falling!

And exactly what UFAs do think all that cap room is going to buy us? Mason Raymond? Maybe a 42 year old Jagr or a 36 year old Iginla? We went down the road of high priced aging superstars before and that didn't go so well. Remember the Messier fiasco? Sundin? I think you're a bit delusional, but it's ok, just part of the grieving process. You need to move beyond denial and bargaining and get on with acceptance. We need to trade away aging assets, not buy them. Just have a good cry and be patient, very patient.

its really tough to say

because this team has some good pieces, but the rest of the west has gotten alot better as well

it'll be interesting to see what position Gillis takes next season. will he go out and get a Moulson or a vanek to add to the top 6 or will he reserve those top 6 spots for our younger players.

I think the biggest problem is the lack of a second line.

1st liners: Kesler, sedin, sedin

2nd liners: I guess some might argue burrows/higgins

3rd liners:kassian, burrows, Hansen, Santo, higgins

4th liners: sesito, Richardson, mathias

I think higgins is a fringe 2nd liner whose been great for the nucks this season. Burrows is an excellent 3rd liner without the Sedins imo.

so do you fill up the second line with guys like Horvat, schroeder, jensen and hunter? Personally id rather see the young guys get some time and not have the team overpay for a 30 year old top 6 forward. id rather see gillis go after a goalie like Halak or hiller to take the weight of Lack/markstom.As for the defense....Elder has to be moved

Archived