The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian RFA year

CanucksCaptain

Kassian is a good player. If MG trades Kesler and buyout Booth, the lineup should look should be

Sedin Sedin Jensen

Burrows Shroader Kassian (Shroader and kassian have good chemistry)

Higgins Mathias Hansen

Sestito Richardson Dalpe

Kassian is not a third line winger.

His next contract should be 1.5 million for 2 years.

Then again we would have no second line, that would kinda suck unless your plan is shoot for a great draft pick.

I suspect that Kas will get more than people think.

Other GMs know that he is MG's project baby. They also know that he will try to low ball a contract, as Kas has yet to play the game as advertised.

I wouldn't be surprised if another GM offers Kas a contract, knowing that MG will overpay for him.

He may end up with a similar contract to Hansen/Higgins, but with a 2 year term.

Kassian is productive, and as an NHL body presents a matchup teams have a great deal of difficulty with. The boy is big, fast, and has NHL skills.

This is in no way a bust. Kassian could do what he is and he would be offered NHL contracts for years and will have a good career.

It is fair to say there is untapped potential. I'd like to see him go harder into the corners and blow people off the puck. When he does we know an effective game is coming. Perhaps he gets tentative because he has taken some penalties, even been picked on by the ref's? Much of what is missing is not Kass IMO. Its also perhaps playing with a centreman with flair, speed and offensive instincts. Currently he is playing a role where you first win pucks and get them up ice, with a center (Richardson) who is good at that. It's a role that does not unleash his creative instincts often.

This players time will come. In the meantime, I see no less than a $1.5 mill deal. The body is too big and has too much potential. I'm sure he knows he has not done enough to ask for a big deal. He could play hard and ask for $2 or $2.5 and might get it. But he really needs an upgraded role to prove his worth. If Kass were smart, he'd just ask for a one year deal. It would not take much to bump him up to a 30 goal, 60 point player. Then his value would be???

Kassian is productive, and as an NHL body presents a matchup teams have a great deal of difficulty with. The boy is big, fast, and has NHL skills.

This is in no way a bust. Kassian could do what he is and he would be offered NHL contracts for years and will have a good career.

It is fair to say there is untapped potential. I'd like to see him go harder into the corners and blow people off the puck. When he does we know an effective game is coming. Perhaps he gets tentative because he has taken some penalties, even been picked on by the ref's? Much of what is missing is not Kass IMO. Its also perhaps playing with a centreman with flair, speed and offensive instincts. Currently he is playing a role where you first win pucks and get them up ice, with a center (Richardson) who is good at that. It's a role that does not unleash his creative instincts often.

This players time will come. In the meantime, I see no less than a $1.5 mill deal. The body is too big and has too much potential. I'm sure he knows he has not done enough to ask for a big deal. He could play hard and ask for $2 or $2.5 and might get it. But he really needs an upgraded role to prove his worth. If Kass were smart, he'd just ask for a one year deal. It would not take much to bump him up to a 30 goal, 60 point player. Then his value would be???

Looking at the trade a couple deadlines later.

Hodgson has 16 goals, 19 assists

.90 pp60 minutes

46% in the faceoff circle

18+ minutes a night

3:13 powerplay time / game

45% of his offensive production is on the power play.

9 goals and 10 assists at even strength.

-16.76 corsi on, 25th on the rather bad Buffalo Sabres.

He's lost his top line center job to Tyler Ennis.

6 years x 4.25 million.

Kassian has 11 goals, 8 assists.

.85pp 60 minutes.

12+ minutes a night

38 seconds of powerplay time/game

10 goals and 8 assists at even strength.

4.5% of production on the powerplay.

-2.25 corsi on, 18th on the Canucks.

Third line minutes (with Booth and his 13pts).

Qualifying offer of 850k required. Would be happy to offer him twice that.

Not a bad hockey trade at all.

Torres was a 5th overall pick and he never became more than a 3rd liner. I'm sure all of us would want him on the team though.

Kassian may never become the 30 goal scoring Bertuzzi-like powerforward that we all want him to be. But if all he becomes is a really good 40 point third liner who brings physicality and an edge to his play, I'll be happy.

I would add a million bucks to his salary if he would fore-check like Torres!

.90 pp60 minutes

18+ minutes a night

6 years x 4.25 million.

.85pp 60 minutes.

12+ minutes a night

Great job on those numbers, I did a similar comparison in the "is Kassian a bust" thread earlier this season.

Kassian hitting, fighting, playing a 2 way game @3.5mil less, putting up similar 5on5 numbers with limited opportunities >>>Hodgson

Don't want to see him go to rfa/ufa Burke-MacT be knocking.

I think MG is safe. Will probably get it done before the summer.

I'd be more interested in seeing the Coilers offersheet one of the Flames RFAs....

That could get entertaining.

Burke be booking a barn for that one.

.90 pp60 minutes

18+ minutes a night

6 years x 4.25 million.

.85pp 60 minutes.

12+ minutes a night

I agree, not a bad trade if you're a lowballing cheapskate like MG.

Archived