The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian RFA year

CanucksCaptain

Great job on those numbers, I did a similar comparison in the "is Kassian a bust" thread earlier this season.

Kassian hitting, fighting, playing a 2 way game @3.5mil less, putting up similar 5on5 numbers with limited opportunities >>>Hodgson

The common assumption around here is that the Canucks would have sooooooo much more secondary scoring if they'd only kept the overhyped rookie center.

In reality, that's not really what their actual production necessarily indicates.

Nor would the Canucks have been able to keep Hodgson through the cap drop.

Factor in the two way, underlying numbers... and the ironing of the complaints about Kassian looking 'lost' in his own end becomes exceedingly delicious.

I'm not bring up another Hodgson VS Kassian thread. We should be already past that.

What would you guys do with Kassian this off season? I would probably just offer him a 2 year contract worth $1million/year.

He's 23 now and I think for the next 2 years if he's still putting up similar stats he should be considerred a AHLer/4th liner.

With Jensen now emerging, if Kassian still doesn't pan out like we hope, this could be his last contract with the canucks.

I'm glad you did bring this one up. What are they going to do with this guy? If you give up on him other up and coming players will see an organization giving up on it's young players. Not only did they pay a lot to get this guy they're investing big bucks into his development too. Where's the line? We'll see soon I think.

Jim Sandlak or Cam Neely he's not there yet . His play shows huge potential but inconstant . Have to keep him for at least 2 more years but I think he's another Jim Sandlak so far

And even Sandlak had a 40 plus season if I remember correctly. Kassian is a far better skater than Sandlak ever was but they do sport similarities.

Great job on those numbers, I did a similar comparison in the "is Kassian a bust" thread earlier this season.

Kassian hitting, fighting, playing a 2 way game @3.5mil less, putting up similar 5on5 numbers with limited opportunities >>>Hodgson

He also is the Canucks most durable player this year, that roundhouse Sestito skate coldcocked him in the game against the Ducks and he played the next game. Name one Canuck that would have come back from that shot? Nobody cheapshots him like they do other Canucks, just needs more tine to develop the nasty.

He also is the Canucks most durable player this year, that roundhouse Sestito skate coldcocked him in the game against the Ducks and he played the next game. Name one Canuck that would have come back from that shot? Nobody cheapshots him like they do other Canucks, just needs more tine to develop the nasty.

Which was arguably the best of his career.

And even Sandlak had a 40 plus season if I remember correctly. Kassian is a far better skater than Sandlak ever was but they do sport similarities.

I can chime in with my personal opinion watching both since they were drafted.

Kassian is hands down better in every single aspect of the game save one.

Jimmy was afraid of his own shadow for years. The running joke was that someone needed to buy him a mirror so he could see how big he actually was. He was 28 years old before he really developed a mean streak. Kass needs no encouragement in this area and in fact needs to dial it down .

Kassian skates much faster. His slapper is the same but his wrister is far better. His ability to see the ice is in another universe than Sandlaks was. In fact, I argue Kassian sees the ice better than almost any power forward in the NHL .

He is already better than Sandlak.

I'm not bring up another Hodgson VS Kassian thread. We should be already past that.

What would you guys do with Kassian this off season? I would probably just offer him a 2 year contract worth $1million/year.

He's 23 now and I think for the next 2 years if he's still putting up similar stats he should be considerred a AHLer/4th liner.

With Jensen now emerging, if Kassian still doesn't pan out like we hope, this could be his last contract with the canucks.

Lol you must of read tony G's negative article about kassian. For what gillis gave up to get him, kassian isn't going anywhere. He's still young, power forwards take a while and I think kassian has improved a lot this year. Next year will be his coming out! And honestly, if he never develops into a top 6 I could still see him being a sick third liner who can score around 20 goals every year. Comparing him to Jensen isn't a good idea as they play quite different styles.

If there is anyone in the league who needs incentive, its Kassian. He has a very strong tendency to go right to sleep without plenty of external stimuli.

Perhaps his contract should be structured around trying to keep him motivated as much as possible, he gets a very modest base salary and fantastic rewards if he gets 20 goals or 50 points or whatever.

Trade at the draft for a 3rd round pick move on I for one can not stand watching him being weak on the puck, passing to the other team.

Archived