The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Greatest Canuck goaltender of all-time?

jagori78

Kirk Mclean.

Very, very close with Luongo, but like others have pointed out, even though Mclean's regular season numbers weren't as good, Lu had a much deeper team in front of him and Lu wasn't playing against Gretzky. And playoff runs have to count big. Luongo, even with a great team (probably the best all-round Canucks team we ever had...sad) was so inconsistent in the big games during the 2011 cup run, whereas Captain Kirk was in a friggin zone in 1994 and barely missed taking a good team to greatness.

I suppose if we are talking about goalies carrying a team,"KIng" Richard Brodeur has to be at least included in the conversation. His numbers were horrid (again, some blame, 29 goals to be exact, goes to Gretzky), but he basically stood on his head in 1982 to carry a team that was, well, mediocre, all the way to the finals. And yes, the Canucks went down 4 straight to the Islanders, but for much of those games Brodeur was in there alone against one of the greatest dynasties of all time.

Very, very close with Luongo, but like others have pointed out, even though Mclean's regular season numbers weren't as good, Lu had a much deeper team in front of him and Lu wasn't playing against Gretzky. And playoff runs have to count big. Luongo, even with a great team (probably the best all-round Canucks team we ever had...sad) was so inconsistent in the big games during the 2011 cup run, whereas Captain Kirk was in a friggin zone in 1994 and barely missed taking a good team to greatness.

McLean was a decent goaltender. Luongo is a hall of famer. If Luongo had the scoring support McLean got in 1994 in just the finals, the Canucks would have a cup. Everyone blames him, but he only won the games where he either shutout the opposition or let in just one goal.

Canucks would have been swept with McLean in net.

I think Kirk was better in his time then Lou was/is in his when you add up all the variables.

What variable could you possibly come up with? Luongo played fewer seasons, won more games, fewer games, saved more shots, better save percentage, etc.

Is there any stat - any stat - where McLean comes out on top? Does McLean have a Jennings?

Lu. He was an elite goalie with some ugly moments. McLean was a really good goalie with some fantastic moments.

Night in and night I would go with Luongo but its close.

McLean - 2 vezina nominations, 2 all star appearances, 1 stanley cup finals

Luongo - 3 vezina nominations, 2 lester b pearson nominations, 1 hart trophy nomination, 2 all star appearances, 1 stanley cup finals, 1 olympic gold.

Luongo also achieved this during an era with more teams and better goaltending.

1. Luongo

2. Mclean

3. Schneider

Brodeur, Cloutier were average at best. Brodeur reminds me a bit of Johan Hedberg. Got into the NHL at an old age, had a solid season/playoff run early on.

2 Olympic Golds.

Luongo

McLean

Brodeur

Honorable mention to Clouts.

Schnieds is not a proven #1 and only time will tell. He still is failing compared to Marty who is like 5 times his age.

Lack may be the answer, but it all depends on how he comes back next season.

Luongo's had great numbers, but I wouldn't currently list him as hall of fame material

not yet at least

Agreed and playing for the panthers may kill that chance. He's with his family I think that's more important to him.

Archived