The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Greatest Canuck goaltender of all-time?

jagori78

That's true, unfortunatley with the complete idiocy of how MG dealt with that situation combined with the meltdown it makes me sick to even talk Luongo sometimes.

It's pretty amazing the talent we had at goaltending a short time ago and know that Gillis pissed away two of the biggest assets ever for not much in return.

How is this thread still going XD.

#'s don't lie, it is quite easily Luongo...

#'s do lie of you have a great team in front of you and your trying to judge goalies from different times when the average scoring was significantly different.

How is this thread still going XD.

#'s don't lie, it is quite easily Luongo...

#s dont lie in terms of a goalie's regression from regular season to playoffs either. Statistically Luongo took at least one step backwards in every postseason he was here aside from the first one.

My guess is that most people on this board are too young to have seen Mclean play, because if they had there would be no question as to who the better goalie was.

I'm old enough, but I'll still go with Luongo by a small margin.

Kirk McLean was my favorite Canuck along with Mogilny, and the reason I became a fan of the Canucks in the first place. But Lui has been pretty fantastic for us. I tend to disagree about all of the meltdowns fans here are causing him of. Sure, there are some, but all players have meltdowns.

obviously kirk mclean in a era where branding and obsession were not a part of hockey marketing, by today's standards loungo appears to win this debate by maufactured obsession, kirk was so-so consistent and played bigger as each game proved to be more meaningfull, kirk wins hands down by this comparison to roberto!!!,

Like team Canada good? We were the PT team hard to get better then that.

He was here for more than 2 years.

They played in the worst division in hockey of course they got a lot of points.

Luongo was a big part of the reason they got so many points.

Hard to get better than that eh?

In 2011 they scored 8 goals in 7 SCF games.

In 2012 they won 1 whole playoff game after winning the PT.

Sorry but there's more to the NHL than just the regular season.

#'s do lie of you have a great team in front of you and your trying to judge goalies from different times when the average scoring was significantly different.

This makes me sick.

Luongo IS the best goaltender this organization has ever had. He holds the most records for Vancouver goaltender and that is the end of story. So what if other goalies played in a different era? That means their competition was also of the same calibre and style. Wins don't lie. Neither do the highest number of shutouts. Or the number of games played/won in a season. His record for saves in a playoff game. Or his gold medals. I mean, I could go on for longer than the actual post but I won't. That should be enough already to prove my point.

#s dont lie in terms of a goalie's regression from regular season to playoffs either. Statistically Luongo took at least one step backwards in every postseason he was here aside from the first one.

That's because the entire team did?

I know you hate Luongo so I'm not surprised you post another one of your one-sided posts but you have to realize that the Canucks were never cup contenders outside of 2010-11. They were always evenly matched or outmatched by the 2nd round, and the team never scored much or maintained possession. There are 18 other players on the ice that you are once again, forgetting.

That's because the entire team did?

I know you hate Luongo so I'm not surprised you post another one of your one-sided posts but you have to realize that the Canucks were never cup contenders outside of 2010-11. They were always evenly matched or outmatched by the 2nd round, and the team never scored much or maintained possession. There are 18 other players on the ice that you are once again, forgetting.

The Canucks had no difficulty scoring goals in the '09 playoffs, the '10 playoffs, and the '11 playoffs up until the SCF. From '09 onward Luongo regressed noticeably in the playoffs, at least by the numbers anyway.

Archived