The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks not out yet

Canuckseeesh

Seriously it's really depressing how so many people are counting out the canucks. I mean yes the chances are very slim but come on, don't be saying stuff like "winning games at this point is useless" and other discouraging stuff about how the organization needs to start losing games on purpose.

if you look at it if we get on a streak we're very much in this. also if you think about it, as much as highly touted prospect sounds great and all, that's another player taking a potential job of one of our current players so finishing strong will most likely be the case for this team.

Anyways that's all i wanted to say, don't give up just yet. We still got a chance, and if we get in expect us to do some damage (la kings)

Okay no. The LA team that went on to win the cup was a team that should of won the Presidents Trophy and just couldn't score and they then acquired Carter and had a coaching change which got the "lazy" stars performing at their highest level.

This Canucks team is no where near as skilled as the LA team was/is.

OP If we lose ONCE in regulation we can't mathematically make the playoffs hence the tanking movement and gloom.

Can this team go perfect for the rest of this season? It's possible.

Unicorns are also possible. So are aliens.

The difference is that Aliens are far more possible.

OP If we lose ONCE in regulation we can't mathematically make the playoffs hence the tanking movement and gloom.

It's more likely that this team makes the play-offs than tanks.

0% chance this team purposefully loses games

2%~ chance it makes the play-offs

Lets all try to gather some perspective.

This team won the Presidents trophy ..........and won a single playoff game. 1-0 . To add insult to injury, we draft 26th.

We then win our division............and proceed to get blown off the playoff map. To add insult to injury, we have to draft 24th.

Trying to gather heroics .............all to get blown out of the playoffs in 4 straight, will only serve to net us a lousy draft pick yet again.

Lets not. We need to rebuild.

Lets all try to gather some perspective.

This team won the Presidents trophy ..........and won a single playoff game. 1-0 . To add insult to injury, we draft 26th.

We then win our division............and proceed to get blown off the playoff map. To add insult to injury, we have to draft 24th.

Trying to gather heroics .............all to get blown out of the playoffs in 4 straight, will only serve to net us a lousy draft pick yet again.

Lets not. We need to rebuild.

god bless you ...

see that's what i don't understand cause lets assume we win the next 5 games going 5-0
our record 77 gp and 84 points

and at the same time PHX goes 3-5 losing the 5 against, nyr, njd, bos, fla, pit
record 77 gp and 83 points

DAL goes 4-5 losing against losing against, PHI, OTT, WSH, CAR, TAMPA

doesn't this mean we're in the race?

I'll still carry hope along with the players themselves until they know they are out mathematically.

Stranger things have happened. We'd have to get on an incredible roll and either Dallas or Phoenix has a taste of the kind of luck we've been having and collapses. The problem is once they get there. I would be ecstatic except for the reality that one, and possibly two of our top offensive threats will be out, Daniel and Kesler. And our best defensive force in Tanev will still be recovering from the broken hand. Not to mention our goalie has only a few months NHL #1 experience with a backup that is "not ready". The Kings team that squeaked in was healthy.

I'd still enjoy watching their gallant effort if the miracle happens.

see that's what i don't understand cause lets assume we win the next 5 games going 5-0

It's unlikely because the chances of winning 5 in a row is 3.125%...

I don't want them to lose on purpose but to think that they can squeak into the playoffs AND do damage like LA is not likely at all. That LA team was STACKED, I really thought they would be contenders the Presidents trophy at the start of that season, we just don't have the right pieces right now to make a deep run. This team is in 2nd last place in the entire league goals/games, we only win games where Lack posts a shutout or doesn't allow more than 1 goal.

ok then let's not even say 5 "in a row". lets say out of the remaining 10 games we win AT LEAST 5 and the teams i mentioned go 3-5, 4-5 respectively. now we're in a position where we have 5 games, alongside phx and dallas to make a run for the playoffs. But my point in this thread isn't to say that we're guaranteed a spot in the playoffs or even that we will make it, but instead that as fans we should always root for this team to succeed. cause honestly while a high spot in the draft is nice, it all comes down to scouting and how well we can draft players. they're just numbers and projections. furthermore for everyone asking for a rebuild well have a look at our roster assuming we do a rebuld...

Sedin(lock) - Sedin(lock) - vacant

(vacant) - Kesler(lock/trade) - vacant

Kassian(lock) - vacant - vacant

vacant - Richardson/Dalpe/Santo - vacant

Hamhuis(lock) - Bieksa(lock)

Edler(lock/trade) - Garrison(lock)

Tanev(lock) - vacant

Lack/UFA

Markstrom/UFA/Lack

for all those vacant spots we already have so many players in minors that can fill in for defense, Corrado, Sauve, Stanton, as for the 7 open forward spots we have Horvat, Gaunce, Jensen, Shinkaruk, Schroeder, Lain, Archibald, Fox. So as you can we can fill our lineup with rookies next year if we wanted but the thing is... obviously we need veteran presence and we'll be making UFA signings therefore we can expect only 3-4 openings for a forward position, 1-2 spots for the d and yeah. the goal shouldn't be to tank just so we get a high pick but instead

1. Try and make playoffs

2. Scout well so our position in draft won't matter too much

3. If possible trade assets such as Kesler and or Edler for a good package of prospect/pick/player

cause honestly, at best even if we tanked we could probably get a projected top 3-6 forward or top 4 dman but do we need that? yes it would help but i don't mind our future top line or dpairing being something along the lines of

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Jensen

Tanev-Corrado

OOps, very bad math surfer! :(

We're 3 points, a game and 1/2, behind 8th place with 20 games to go. Your math ain't good!

I predict we need 23 points in our last 20 games to have a fair shot (finish 97 points). If we can get more than 23 our chances become very good.

We have a beneficial schedule for us; our competitors games in hand and better health. All up odd's are fair.

10 games left with 20pts on the table.

Okay no. The LA team that went on to win the cup was a team that should of won the Presidents Trophy and just couldn't score and they then acquired Carter and had a coaching change which got the "lazy" stars performing at their highest level.

This Canucks team is no where near as skilled as the LA team was/is.

"And they than got Carter" eh, so we just got Jensen but ran out of time?

When they say things like the Canucks need to go 11-0 or 13-1 to make the playoffs.....that means they predict what the teams ahead will do. What they do is predict the teams ahead, will earn the same points per game as they have so far in the season. Basically if Dallas or Phoenix play the same as they have all season. But yeah with so much time left lots is technically possible, Dallas and Phoenix could lose all the games (do they play each other?) then the Canucks could make it in and still lose a few.

Archived