#1 Canuckseeesh

Canuckseeesh

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:41 PM

POPULAR

Seriously it's really depressing how so many people are counting out the canucks. I mean yes the chances are very slim but come on, don't be saying stuff like "winning games at this point is useless" and other discouraging stuff about how the organization needs to start losing games on purpose.

if you look at it if we get on a streak we're very much in this. also if you think about it, as much as highly touted prospect sounds great and all, that's another player taking a potential job of one of our current players so finishing strong will most likely be the case for this team.

Anyways that's all i wanted to say, don't give up just yet. We still got a chance, and if we get in expect us to do some damage (la kings)

#2 peaches5

peaches5

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:45 PM

POPULAR

Okay no. The LA team that went on to win the cup was a team that should of won the Presidents Trophy and just couldn't score and they then acquired Carter and had a coaching change which got the "lazy" stars performing at their highest level. 

This Canucks team is no where near as skilled as the LA team was/is.

Edited by peaches5, 19 March 2014 - 11:45 PM.

#3 ghjffbali

ghjffbali

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:45 PM

POPULAR

OP If we lose ONCE in regulation we can't mathematically make the playoffs hence the tanking movement and gloom.

Can this team go perfect for the rest of this season? It's possible.

Unicorns are also possible. So are aliens.

Edited by ghjffbali, 19 March 2014 - 11:46 PM.

#4 Dickie

Dickie

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:47 PM

POPULAR

OP If we lose ONCE in regulation we can't mathematically make the playoffs hence the tanking movement and gloom.

The difference is that Aliens are far more possible.

Posted Image

#5 ghjffbali

ghjffbali

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:49 PM

The difference is that Aliens are far more possible.

If the Canucks make the playoffs I'm gonna grow wings and fly Bettman into the sun while singing Bohemian rhapsody in space. Quote me. I know this is possible somehow :bigblush:

Edited by ghjffbali, 19 March 2014 - 11:50 PM.

#6 EmilyM

EmilyM

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:53 PM

The 2012 Kings were the exception. Not the rule.

#7 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:00 AM

:picard:

Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#8 ghjffbali

ghjffbali

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:02 AM

I looked this up. There is a 1/112 million chance you get killed by a vending machine. I think it's more possible someone on CDC gets killed by a vending machine rather than the canucks making the playoffs.

#9 5Fivehole0

5Fivehole0

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:06 AM

POPULAR

It's more likely that this team makes the play-offs than tanks.

0% chance this team purposefully loses games
2%~ chance it makes the play-offs

No. The Canucks aren't even in the same realm as these other teams. They aren't even close to being good enough to make the playoffs. They'll be off by around 10 points.

#10 Absent Canuck

Absent Canuck

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:10 AM

POPULAR

Lets all try to gather some perspective. 

This team won the Presidents trophy ..........and won a single playoff game. 1-0  . To add insult to injury, we draft 26th. 

We then win our division............and proceed to get blown off the playoff map. To add insult to injury, we have to draft 24th. 

Trying to gather heroics .............all to get blown out of the playoffs in 4 straight, will only serve to net us a lousy draft pick yet again. 

Lets not. We need to rebuild. 

Another great sig by Vintage Canuck

#11 Lulover88

Lulover88

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:14 AM

Lets all try to gather some perspective. 

This team won the Presidents trophy ..........and won a single playoff game. 1-0  . To add insult to injury, we draft 26th. 

We then win our division............and proceed to get blown off the playoff map. To add insult to injury, we have to draft 24th. 

Trying to gather heroics .............all to get blown out of the playoffs in 4 straight, will only serve to net us a lousy draft pick yet again. 

Lets not. We need to rebuild. 

god bless you ... 

#12 Canuckseeesh

Canuckseeesh

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:15 AM

see that's what i don't understand cause lets assume we win the next 5 games going 5-0
our record 77 gp and 84 points

and at the same time PHX goes 3-5 losing the 5 against, nyr, njd, bos, fla, pit
record 77 gp and 83 points

DAL goes 4-5 losing against losing against, PHI, OTT, WSH, CAR, TAMPA

doesn't this mean we're in the race?

#13 kilgore

kilgore

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:21 AM

I'll still carry hope along with the players themselves until they know they are out mathematically.

Stranger things have happened. We'd have to get on an incredible roll and either Dallas or Phoenix has a taste of the kind of luck we've been having and collapses.  The problem is once they get there. I would be ecstatic except for the reality that one, and possibly two of our top offensive threats will be out, Daniel and Kesler. And our best defensive force in Tanev will still be recovering from the broken hand.  Not to mention our goalie has only a few months NHL #1 experience with a backup that is "not ready". The Kings team that squeaked in was healthy.

I'd still enjoy watching their gallant effort if the miracle happens.

#14 Time Lord

Time Lord

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:31 AM

see that's what i don't understand cause lets assume we win the next 5 games going 5-0

It's unlikely because the chances of winning 5 in a row is 3.125%...

71gzuv.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff"

#15 Butters Stoch

Butters Stoch

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:46 AM

I don't want them to lose on purpose but to think that they can squeak into the playoffs AND do damage like LA is not likely at all. That LA team was STACKED, I really thought they would be contenders the Presidents trophy at the start of that season, we just don't have the right pieces right now to make a deep run. This team is in 2nd last place in the entire league goals/games, we only win games where Lack posts a shutout or doesn't allow more than 1 goal.

sig by Malkin71

#16 Canuckseeesh

Canuckseeesh

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:49 AM

ok then let's not even say 5 "in a row". lets say out of the remaining 10 games we win AT LEAST 5 and the teams i mentioned go 3-5, 4-5 respectively. now we're in a position where we have 5 games, alongside phx and dallas to make a run for the playoffs. But my point in this thread isn't to say that we're guaranteed a spot in the playoffs or even that we will make it, but instead that as fans we should always root for this team to succeed. cause honestly while a high spot in the draft is nice, it all comes down to scouting and how well we can draft players. they're just numbers and projections. furthermore for everyone asking for a rebuild well have a look at our roster assuming we do a rebuld...

Sedin(lock) - Sedin(lock) - vacant

(vacant) - Kesler(lock/trade) - vacant

Kassian(lock) - vacant - vacant

vacant - Richardson/Dalpe/Santo - vacant

Hamhuis(lock) - Bieksa(lock)

Edler(lock/trade) - Garrison(lock)

Tanev(lock) - vacant

Lack/UFA

Markstrom/UFA/Lack

for all those vacant spots we already have so many players in minors that can fill in for defense, Corrado, Sauve, Stanton, as for the 7 open forward spots we have Horvat, Gaunce, Jensen, Shinkaruk, Schroeder, Lain, Archibald, Fox. So as you can we can fill our lineup with rookies next year if we wanted but the thing is... obviously we need veteran presence and we'll be making UFA signings therefore we can expect only 3-4 openings for a forward position, 1-2 spots for the d and yeah. the goal shouldn't be to tank just so we get a high pick but instead

1. Try and make playoffs

2. Scout well so our position in draft won't matter too much

3. If possible trade assets such as Kesler and or Edler for a good package of prospect/pick/player

cause honestly, at best even if we tanked we could probably get a projected top 3-6 forward or top 4 dman but do we need that? yes it would help but i don't mind our future top line or dpairing being something along the lines of

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Jensen

Tanev-Corrado

Edited by Canuckseeesh, 20 March 2014 - 12:56 AM.

#17 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,736 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:52 AM

OOps, very bad math surfer! :(

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 20 March 2014 - 01:12 AM.

#18 chompers14

chompers14

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:00 AM

We're 3 points, a game and 1/2, behind 8th place with 20 games to go. Your math ain't good!

I predict we need 23 points in our last 20 games to have a fair shot (finish 97 points). If we can get more than 23 our chances become very good.

We have a beneficial schedule for us; our competitors games in hand and better health. All up odd's are fair.

10 games left with 20pts on the table.

#19 people please

people please

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:05 AM

Okay no. The LA team that went on to win the cup was a team that should of won the Presidents Trophy and just couldn't score and they then acquired Carter and had a coaching change which got the "lazy" stars performing at their highest level. 

"And they than got Carter" eh, so we just got Jensen but ran out of time?
Posted ImageCredit to the Vintage Canuck

#20 BCNeil

BCNeil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:07 AM

When they say things like the Canucks need to go 11-0 or 13-1 to make the playoffs.....that means they predict what the teams ahead will do. What they do is predict the teams ahead, will earn the same points per game as they have so far in the season. Basically if Dallas or Phoenix play the same as they have all season. But yeah with so much time left lots is technically possible, Dallas and Phoenix could lose all the games (do they play each other?) then the Canucks could make it in and still lose a few.

#21 Hairy Kneel

Hairy Kneel

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:20 AM

Hmm looks like Dallas and Phoenix are starting to choke and slowing our elimination..

#22 Ryan kesler the beast

Ryan kesler the beast

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:01 AM

Coyotes play very tough teams coming up
Bruins rangers penguins

Dallas plays
Flyers jets Blackhawks and the blues and there down 0-1 against bluejackets for the game in hand too

Dallas lost 7-2 jets then 5-1 to penguins and if Thomas plays like crap the rest of the way then they will lose to those tough teams. Coyotes I believe they will too

BUT we need to beat minny , buffalo and Colorado and Edmonton and flames. Games we could and should win if we play are best. That's 10 points right there. Kings/ducks/rangers are going to be hard but maybe squeak out a win for 12 points? I dunno but we need to win Sunday. And who knows? If Dallas and coyotes choke then we might only need to win 6 out of 10. It depends on other teams. It's looking hard but I'll keep believing :towel: all I will say is if coyotes lose to the panthers somehow tmrw.... Game on
Posted Image
Thanks VC!

#23 slappipappi

slappipappi

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:43 AM

Sports Club Stats says that if we go 9-1 the rest of the way, we've got about a 52% chance.  8-2 and it's down to 18.9%.

The problem the Canucks have is they each each of Dallas, Phoenix and Winnipeg (who are 1 points behind the Canucks with a game in hand) to choke at the same time.

If those 3 teams finish the season playing .500 (and there are only 6 teams in the NHL who play worse than .500), the Canucks need to go 8-1-1 to make the playoffs.

Yeah they have a chance, but let's not talk about that it's likely to happen.

The other teams have 3-4 games in hand, that's huge.  

Edited by slappipappi, 20 March 2014 - 03:44 AM.

#24 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,298 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:32 AM

It's unlikely because the chances of winning 5 in a row is 3.125%...

No, sorry, it's not flipping coins so you can't put simple numbers in it.

#25 Mackcanuck

Mackcanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:56 AM

The other teams have games in hand,
BUT, The other teams need to win those games to make them count
We must go 9-1 with Regulation wins against PHX,DAL and WPG
9 wins to be in!
2 more losses and we are done.

RE-LACKS everybody RE-LACKS!

eddie_lack___vancouver_canucks_by_motzab  CBtZdciVEAAZAXS.jpg

Motzaburger

#26 chucky's head

chucky's head

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:57 AM

Something to bear in mind. If our team limps into golf season with a string of losses, what self-respecting free agent wants to sign here? Most of them would prefer to see a team heading in the right direction I would think.

Getting a decent free agent or two could, with an injection of youth, turn this thing around.

#27 BurrsArrows

BurrsArrows

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:01 AM

I thought Shorthouse said we have room to lose a maximum of 1 game before last nights game? one game is okay but only one? 

So that'd be 10-1-0 starting last night according to him, but your theory makes more sense

#28 Drakrami

Drakrami

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:11 AM

you do realize that when you were typing this, the LA King team today is basically the same as the 2012 Championship team. And they aren't winning the President's Trophy this year nor did they last year. 

So your whole point doesn't really make sense when put into this consideration. 

#29 HunterHorvatBure

HunterHorvatBure

Comets Regular

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:14 AM

Useless.
2jcd5kh.jpg
Credit to khalifawiz501 for sig.

#30 JoesRooster

JoesRooster

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:20 AM

We go 10-0 then we have a 86% chance at making it. Anything less than 8-0-2 makes chances pretty slim..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.