The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks not out yet

Canuckseeesh

Coyotes play very tough teams coming up

Bruins rangers penguins

Dallas plays

Flyers jets Blackhawks and the blues and there down 0-1 against bluejackets for the game in hand too

Dallas lost 7-2 jets then 5-1 to penguins and if Thomas plays like crap the rest of the way then they will lose to those tough teams. Coyotes I believe they will too

BUT we need to beat minny , buffalo and Colorado and Edmonton and flames. Games we could and should win if we play are best. That's 10 points right there. Kings/ducks/rangers are going to be hard but maybe squeak out a win for 12 points? I dunno but we need to win Sunday. And who knows? If Dallas and coyotes choke then we might only need to win 6 out of 10. It depends on other teams. It's looking hard but I'll keep believing :towel: all I will say is if coyotes lose to the panthers somehow tmrw.... Game on

Sports Club Stats says that if we go 9-1 the rest of the way, we've got about a 52% chance. 8-2 and it's down to 18.9%.

The problem the Canucks have is they each each of Dallas, Phoenix and Winnipeg (who are 1 points behind the Canucks with a game in hand) to choke at the same time.

If those 3 teams finish the season playing .500 (and there are only 6 teams in the NHL who play worse than .500), the Canucks need to go 8-1-1 to make the playoffs.

Yeah they have a chance, but let's not talk about that it's likely to happen.

The other teams have 3-4 games in hand, that's huge.

Something to bear in mind. If our team limps into golf season with a string of losses, what self-respecting free agent wants to sign here? Most of them would prefer to see a team heading in the right direction I would think.

Getting a decent free agent or two could, with an injection of youth, turn this thing around.

OP If we lose ONCE in regulation we can't mathematically make the playoffs hence the tanking movement and gloom.

Can this team go perfect for the rest of this season? It's possible.

Unicorns are also possible. So are aliens.

I thought Shorthouse said we have room to lose a maximum of 1 game before last nights game? one game is okay but only one?

So that'd be 10-1-0 starting last night according to him, but your theory makes more sense

Okay no. The LA team that went on to win the cup was a team that should of won the Presidents Trophy and just couldn't score and they then acquired Carter and had a coaching change which got the "lazy" stars performing at their highest level.

This Canucks team is no where near as skilled as the LA team was/is.

you do realize that when you were typing this, the LA King team today is basically the same as the 2012 Championship team. And they aren't winning the President's Trophy this year nor did they last year.

So your whole point doesn't really make sense when put into this consideration.

What is happening to the Canucks now is what happened to the Leafs a number of times in the 9 year playoff absence. Team would be out of it but put on a valiant run with a young goaltender and lots of AHL players only to miss out on the last weekend of the season. Team drafts 11-14 and doesn't get the impact player that is needed.

The other factor is that they really aren't on much of a roll yet. Just playing a more entertaining brand of hockey. It's good to see young players perform well and I think players naturally relax when the pressure is off. I think there has been a general sense that this team won't make the playoffs so now they are just playing again. It's pretty common. Once they stop gripping the sticks everything gets easier.

If we won those games against PHX and DAL after the Heritage Classic we would be very much in the race with 77 points, 3 points ahead of PHX and 5 points ahead of DAL (albeit with a bunch of games in hand).

Losing those two games pretty much sealed our fate. The team is playing better now but better won't cut it.

I would rather us drop to 23rd and pick 7th overall vs picking 11th or 12th.

I thought Shorthouse said we have room to lose a maximum of 1 game before last nights game? one game is okay but only one?

So that'd be 10-1-0 starting last night according to him, but your theory makes more sense

I think that assumes the other teams in the race keep pace (which is sensible).

So the team that couldn't muster a shot in the first 10 minutes against a Nashville Predators team playing in the back-half of their 3rd straight back-to-back (and 6th game in 10 nights), is going to win 11 straight? Including two against the Ducks, who have outscored us 15-6 this season? It's one thing to believe in your team. It's quite another to be completely bats*** crazy.

I have to laugh at the suggestion by some that we can pull what the LA Kings did. The reason why we can't is because we are the Vancouver Canucks and complacency and choking go hand in hand. When LA took a 3-0 commanding lead against us (President Trophy winners but not the dominant ones we were the last year) they didn't let off the gas but instead stepped down hard on the Canucks throat and put us out in 5 games. The Canucks on the other hand go up 3-0 against the Blackhawks (defending Stanley Cup champions at the time though they were nowhere near the team they were that gave us problems the previous two playoffs without Byfuglien, Ladd, Versteeg, Burish, Eager and even Bolland for those 3 games and essentially backed into their playoff spot) and what did the Canucks do? They let off the gas, got complacent believing they had the series, failed to step on the Hawks throat and next thing you know we're in OT of Game 7 maximizing travel and wear and tear on the club and almost dealt the greatest collapse in sports history.

So no, there is no chance the Canucks pull an LA Kings. It's more likely we miss the playoffs because that's what the Canucks are known for doing in blowing their chances.

The other teams have games in hand,

BUT, The other teams need to win those games to make them count

We must go 9-1 with Regulation wins against PHX,DAL and WPG

9 wins to be in!

2 more losses and we are done.

The Canucks don't play any of those 3 teams in the last 10 games. How can you honestly call yourself a Canuck fan if you can't even keep track of their last 10 games of the season..?

Who's enjoyed our last 2 playoff showings? 3 if you include the 2011 Final.

So if by some miracle we squeeze into the playoffs next month and then what happens? This team isn't as good as last year, it's noticeably worse than the year before that, it's not the team that played in the Final, and there would be no home ice advantage this year. What are we all expecting from this group? You cant really expect more than what we've gotten in the last 3 series' we've played.

There is no way this team wins more than 1 playoff round, and that would have to be a monumental upset considering any team we faced first would be a juggernaut. We are not a contender so what's the point? This season is blown, they ought to be trying for the higher pick now and with any luck the necessary changes will be made for next season. Maybe then we could take a run at it.

I thought this thread would be full of positives. I was wrong, horribly! I believe. I hope if the nucks do make it in to the post season, the mods go on a mass cleaning of the morons on this forum.

Go nux!

Hey...believe all you want...but to call the people who are looking at this from a VERY realistic standpoint "morons" is ridiculous. The percentages don't lie, no matter how much fanboys like you "believe"...realistically only a MORON would put his hopes on something that has less than a 5% chance of happening, but looking at your nickname and avatar it all makes sense...

Archived