The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Before you play the blame game.... kinda long read.

LUCKY#4

As every other canucks fan out there, I am quite frustrated with how this season has gone. I had a very slow day at work and had some time to look at some stats. I was blaming this entire season on a result of countless injuries and players not producing, some due to the injuries they've had and tried to play through. This has been a dreadful season when it comes to the PP, the PK (as of late) and the injuries that have plagued this team all year long. But there is more than just that, that has been hindering this teams success...

As of monday we were the #1 most penalized team. Philly just passed us on tuesday by 5 minutes.

Here are the PIMs as of prior to all games occuring march 20th

Total Penalty minutes

1. Philly = 944 PIM

2. Vancouver = 939 PIM

3. Winnipeg = 881 PIM

4. Toronto = 875 PIM

5. Montreal = 846 PIM

6. Ottawa = 826 PIM

7. St. Louis = 793PIM

8. Washington = 791 PIM

9. Boston = 751 PIM

10. Columbus = 735 PIM

11. Anaheim = 712 PIM

12. Los Angeles = 711 PIM

13. New York Islanders = 709 PIM

14. Dallas = 708 PIM

15. Tampa Bay = 698 PIM

16. Pittsburgh = 696 PIM

17. Calgary = 685 PIM

18. Edmonton = 683 PIM

19. Colorado = 675 PIM

20. New York Rangers = 648 PIM

21. San Jose = 638 PIM

22. Phoenix = 635 PIM

23. Florida = 610 PIM

24. Nashville = 594 PIM

25. Detroit = 585 PIM

26. Buffalo = 578 PIM

27. Chicago = 569 PIM

28. Minnesota = 565 PIM

29. New Jersey = 522 PIM

30. Carolina = 505 PIM

So now that the Sedins are killing penalties, how do you expect them to score and have as much success as they have had in previous years, when we are the SECOND MOST PENALIZED TEAM?! certainly you cannot blame them for their lack of points when they are now a part of that 939 PIM of killing and serving penalties (not a great figure of number due to fighting majors being included in that 939 PIM, however i think you kinda get the point)

We are:

2nd in total penalty minutes (averaging between 13 PIM per game)

4th in man games lost due to injury (and climbing, plus some of the teams ahead of us arent missing as important of players to their line-up and some are counting back-up goaltenders)

5th in most suspensions this year

12th ranked PK (82.9%) as of late. Certainly this has begun to decline post December 10-1-1 record, largely due to the massive ammounts of injuries we have suffered these past few months

17 THE NUMBER OF BACK TO BACK GAMES THIS SEASON

26th ranked PP 14.8%

27th overall when scoring first ( .545 )

28th when leading after 2 periods ( .720 when leading after 2 )

29th overall for goals per game ( 2.32 GPG)

The astonishing thing about all these stats is that we are:

3 points out of a playoff spot

8 less wins than the CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS.

8 points behind LA and Minnesota who BOTH have 200+ less PIM than us this year and far less significant injuries ( yes Quick was out for awhile but their goal tending rookie duo did an incredible job to help their HEALTHY FORWARDS win games)

9 the number of wins from jan 1st to march 20th and yet.... we are 3 points out of a playoff spot.

this truly could have been a magical year, perhaps THE year, if we were just.....healthy....

Now yes you can say that the teams we are chasing all have 2+ games on us. But I want to look at the bright side here, and that is with a team who is 4th in most injuries, 2nd in most penalty minutes, 5th in most suspensions almost dead last in everything that has to do with scoring.... we have kept up and come so close to making it into the playoffs this year. I know it is highly unlikely that we are going to make it, but i have to say well done Vancouver Canucks for all your hardwork and getting through as much adversity as any team could face all at once, and being so close. This team is far better than what the standing show. I can actually say that i will not be disappointed in the Canucks if they do not make the playoffs this year, I am proud that they have made it as close as they have through all the crap that has happened this year. Just where would the Vancouver Canucks be...IF Vancouvers PP % went up 5% (or more with healthy bodies), IF we had 200 less PIMs, or IF Burrows didnt break his foot, or his jaw, IF Santorelli didnt injure his shoulder and require him to miss the remainder of the season, IF Henrik didnt get injured and miss those games, IF Edler didnt get hurt or get suspended and lose confidence in himself...so many "what if" scenarios... Just where would the Vancouver Canucks be.....

SO PLEASE, stop blaming individual players for their lack of points. Look at the roster we have each night, we average about 3-4 players missing per game ( averaging out total games missed with games played thus far). Do not write this team off, instead look forward to the years coming when this team gets healthy and adds a potential top 10 draft pick. It is only a bright future for the Canucks and I really do believe a Stanley Cup is not far from us at all, WITH THE SEDINS TORTS AND MG. I BELIEVE IN THIS GROUP AND SO SHOULD YOU!

!GO CANUCKS GO!

P.S. sorry for the long-ish read, this is also my first post and I may have lost my train of thought a few times while writing this.

As every other canucks fan out there, I am quite frustrated with how this season has gone. I had a very slow day at work and had some time to look at some stats. I was blaming this entire season on a result of countless injuries and players not producing, some due to the injuries they've had and tried to play through. This has been a dreadful season when it comes to the PP, the PK (as of late) and the injuries that have plagued this team all year long. But there is more than just that, that has been hindering this teams success...

As of monday we were the #1 most penalized team. Philly just passed us on tuesday by 5 minutes.

Total Penalty minutes

1. Philly = 944 PIM

2. Vancouver = 939 PIM

3. Winnipeg = 881 PIM

4. Toronto = 875 PIM

5. Montreal = 846 PIM

6. Ottawa = 826 PIM

7. St. Louis = 793PIM

8. Washington = 791 PIM

9. Boston = 751 PIM

10. Columbus = 735 PIM

11. Anaheim = 712 PIM

14. Dallas = 708 PIM

15. Tampa Bay = 698 PIM

16. Pittsburgh = 696 PIM

17. Calgary = 685 PIM

18. Edmonton = 683 PIM

19. Colorado = 675 PIM

21. San Jose = 638 PIM

22. Phoenix = 635 PIM

23. Florida = 610 PIM

24. Nashville = 594 PIM

25. Detroit = 585 PIM

26. Buffalo = 578 PIM

27. Chicago = 569 PIM

28. Minnesota = 565 PIM

29. New Jersey = 522 PIM

30. Carolina = 505 PIM

So now that the Sedins are killing penalties, how do you expect them to score and have as much success as they have had in previous years, when we are the SECOND MOST PENALIZED TEAM?! certainly you cannot blame them for their lack of points when they are now a part of that 939 PIM of killing and serving penalties (not a great figure of number due to fighting majors being included in that 939 PIM, however i think you kinda get the point)

We are:

1st - 17 - THE NUMBER OF BACK TO BACK GAMES THIS SEASON - 34 total.

4th in man games lost due to injury (and climbing, plus some of the teams ahead of us arent missing as important of players to their line-up and some are counting back-up goaltenders)

12th ranked PK (82.9%) as of late. Certainly this has begun to decline post December 10-1-1 record, largely due to the massive ammounts of injuries we have suffered these past few months

26th ranked PP 14.8%

8 points behind LA and Minnesota who BOTH have 200+ less PIM than us this year and far less significant injuries ( yes Quick was out for awhile but their goal tending rookie duo did an incredible job to help their HEALTHY FORWARDS win games)

9 the number of wins from jan 1st to march 20th and yet.... we are 3 points out of a playoff spot.

this truly could have been a magical year, perhaps THE year, if we were just.....healthy....

Now yes you can say that the teams we are chasing all have 2+ games on us. But I want to look at the bright side here, and that is with a team who is 4th in most injuries, 2nd in most penalty minutes, 5th in most suspensions almost dead last in everything that has to do with scoring.... we have kept up and come so close to making it into the playoffs this year. I know it is highly unlikely that we are going to make it, but i have to say well done Vancouver Canucks for all your hardwork and getting through as much adversity as any team could face all at once, and being so close. This team is far better than what the standing show. I can actually say that i will not be disappointed in the Canucks if they do not make the playoffs this year, I am proud that they have made it as close as they have through all the crap that has happened this year. Just where would the Vancouver Canucks be...IF Vancouvers PP % went up 5% (or more with healthy bodies), IF we had 200 less PIMs, or IF Burrows didnt break his foot, or his jaw, IF Santorelli didnt injure his shoulder and require him to miss the remainder of the season, IF Henrik didnt get injured and miss those games, IF Edler didnt get hurt or get suspended and lose confidence in himself...so many "what if" scenarios... Just where would the Vancouver Canucks be.....

SO PLEASE, stop blaming individual players for their lack of points. Look at the roster we have each night, we average about 3-4 players missing per game ( averaging out total games missed with games played thus far). Do not write this team off, instead look forward to the years coming when this team gets healthy and adds a potential top 10 draft pick. It is only a bright future for the Canucks and I really do believe a Stanley Cup is not far from us at all, WITH THE SEDINS TORTS AND MG. I BELIEVE IN THIS GROUP AND SO SHOULD YOU!

!GO CANUCKS GO!

P.S. sorry for the long-ish read, this is also my first post and I may have lost my train of thought a few times while writing this.

+1 for all your effort here.

Injuries, travel / compressed Olympic schedule and brutal puck luck have certainly played their parts.

Edited one part (1st).

I agree with you that the team is much better than it appears (when taken out of context) - and I think it also has a very bright group of young players about to close the gap and make the team much deeper, with much more flexibility. I think the team still has a very bright future - pretty much immediately upon getting healthy.

Yeah, we've got some undisciplined guys. Burrows, Kassian, and the Sedins take terrible penalties in the offensive zone all the time, and Kesler takes bad penalties when he gets pissed off. Bieksa takes some lazy penalties, as does Edler when he gets beat clean. In all fairness Sestito got a lot of penalties just sticking up for us when we were down. Taking penalties is fine when you have the number 1 PK. That's a big reason we fell apart.

Decent first post though. Kudos.

on top of that that road trip to california destroyed this team mentally. During the trip the canucks lost henrik, santorelli and luongo to injuries, lost 9-2 to anaheim which scored 6 pp goals (before the game canucks were 1st on the PK), also had 2 seven minute 5 on 3s and some terrible reffing. To top it all off the lost all three games, Martin hanzal got a $15,000 fine for injuring 3 of our players including 2 key ones. Then there was the calgary game and torts suspension.

The team has never been the same since all of these events in January. Someone said after the Anaheim game that the 7 minute 5 on 3s spelled the end of our season and I thought he was crazy; not anymore I don't.

Total Penalty minutes

1. Philly = 944 PIM

2. Vancouver = 939 PIM

3. Winnipeg = 881 PIM

4. Toronto = 875 PIM

5. Montreal = 846 PIM

6. Ottawa = 826 PIM

7. St. Louis = 793PIM

8. Washington = 791 PIM

9. Boston = 751 PIM

10. Columbus = 735 PIM

11. Anaheim = 712 PIM

14. Dallas = 708 PIM

15. Tampa Bay = 698 PIM

16. Pittsburgh = 696 PIM

17. Calgary = 685 PIM

18. Edmonton = 683 PIM

19. Colorado = 675 PIM

21. San Jose = 638 PIM

22. Phoenix = 635 PIM

23. Florida = 610 PIM

24. Nashville = 594 PIM

25. Detroit = 585 PIM

26. Buffalo = 578 PIM

27. Chicago = 569 PIM

28. Minnesota = 565 PIM

29. New Jersey = 522 PIM

30. Carolina = 505 PIM

We are:

17 THE NUMBER OF BACK TO BACK GAMES THIS SEASON

26th ranked PP 14.8%

!GO CANUCKS GO!

Thank you for posting this... People seem to think that this group is incapable of winning... They are so sadly mistaken.

Question.....has this team played like it deserved to be 2nd overall in pim.....not a chance.

The refs have stuck it to us every chance they got and the league backed it up bogus suspensions.

The league are trying to get guys fired that don't deserve it.

Stand pat Vancouver and then stick it to the league.

This logic you are peddling is very dangerous. Minds are being blown !

This post is is above and beyond the call of duty ! Excellent analysis of the Canucks season. I had no idea we are the most penalized next to Philly ? As yo pointed out this speaks volumes as to why the twins have struggled so much.

bender-applause_medium.gif

What is so mind blowing is how big the spread is.

Just wow....200+ mins more than the #10 ranked Columbus...wow...that is 100 2 min powerplays.

Tell me again the league is on the up and up.

We are getting shafted and we are not the only team that is.

5 out of the top 6 are canadien teams.Do any of these teams play like they should be in the top 6?The Leafs maybe.

Time to start taking our game back.

Far more interesting and compelling than Vancouver's particular situation, is the fact that five of the six most penalized teams are Canadian. The two lesser penalized Canadian teams are Calgary and Edmonton - teams that are in no danger of bumping a US team out of the playoffs. The five contending Canadian teams Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa, Toronto, and Winnipeg are all getting f*cked by the league and the officials that they rule. It is not only the power plays but the crap served up by US teams against Canadian teams that goes unpenalized.

If people can't see this for what it is they are idiots. Look at the penalty stats. Look where the contending Canadian teams are. If you can't see that writing on that particular wall, you are blind.

Archived