The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Centre Mike Santorelli Ahead of Schedule in Recovery

TheRussianRocket.

http://thecanuckway.com/2014/03/20/canucks-centre-mike-santorelli-ahead-schedule-recovery/

8119254.jpg

Vancouver Canucks centre Mike Santorelli is ahead of recovery from season-ending shoulder injury, according to his agent J.P. Barry.

SHe underwent surgery on January 30th and recovery has been pegged at five-to-six months, which would have put him ready for the Stanley Cup parade.

The Canucks signed Santorelli to a one-year, two-way contract on July 6, 2013 with the expectation he would centre the top line with the Utica Comets and take some pressure off young prospects to score.

He was off the map for me, Canucks head coach John Tortorella told NHL.com in December. I found out pretty quickly who he was when he came in the condition he was in and how he just said, I am going to play here, you are not sending me to Utica. With no words said to me, just with his actions, he said, I am not going there, and he has continued to go that way.

WITH SANTORELLI -

Wins:24 Losses:16 OTL:9 PCT:0.49 GF:2.53 GA:2.55

WITHOUT SANTORELLI -

Wins:8 Losses:14 OTL:1 PCT:0.35 GF:2.09 GA:3.00

Santorelli finished the season with 10 goals and 28 points in 49 games and will be in line for a raise from the $550,000 he earned this season.

There doesnt to be any urgency on the Canucks part to re-sign Santorelli. Barry says there hasnt been any contract talks lately, which would suggest they did talk at one point about an extension.

Nice to hear Mike is on track with his road to recovery. Here's to hoping he's a Canuck this upcoming year...was our best player when healthy and was the spark plug to the team. No coincidence the team started losing when he was gone, a very solid player who I believe can be extended to a cheap contract granted a home town discount.

Man if we can put everything together and make the playoffs and Kesler Daniel and Santorelli come back, we could do some damage.

Burrows-Henrik-Jensen(Great line so far)

Daniel-Kesler-Santorelli(Maybe those two can pull Daniels head out of his butt)

Higgins-Mathias-Kassian

Sestito-Richardson-Hansen

Man if we can put everything together and make the playoffs and Kesler Daniel and Santorelli come back, we could do some damage.

Burrows-Henrik-Jensen(Great line so far)

Daniel-Kesler-Santorelli(Maybe those two can pull Daniels head out of his butt)

Higgins-Mathias-Kassian

Sestito-Richardson-Hansen

*Booth - Richardson - Kassian

I really hope he re-signs. We will have a lot of centre depth next year with Hank, Kesler, Santo, Horvat, Matthias, Richardson and then you could even add Lain into the mix. Thats VERY strong at centre.

Obviously he will be looking for a big pay bump and to be honest he deserves it. Something around 1.7 x 2 years? We will have the cap space available, that isn't a huge amount and not only does he add that spark and energy offensively, he is incredible on the PK and in his own end. With that potential centre depth theres no pressure on Horvat, we can experiment with moving Richardson/Horvat to wing etc.

I really hope he re-signs. We will have a lot of centre depth next year with Hank, Kesler, Santo, Horvat, Matthias, Richardson and then you could even add Lain into the mix. Thats VERY strong at centre.Obviously he will be looking for a big pay bump and to be honest he deserves it. Something around 1.7 x 2 years? We will have the cap space available, that isn't a huge amount and not only does he add that spark and energy offensively, he is incredible on the PK and in his own end. With that potential centre depth theres no pressure on Horvat, we can experiment with moving Richardson/Horvat to wing etc.

Don't forget about Schroeder and Dalpe...that's championship calibre centre depth!

Archived