The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Centre Mike Santorelli Ahead of Schedule in Recovery

TheRussianRocket.

Well, that was the argument for Raymond. Started strong but faded from a consistency perspective and wasn't doing as much later in the year.

Santorelli certainly did have periods where he wasn't producing, and although I wouldn't quite label him streaky it's hard to know how he would have played over the full season. Would he have been able to help when we were struggling or would he have faded? If we re-sign him, what will he be like in coming seasons, and for how much?

Santo wasn't a useless pushover when he wasn't scoring like Raymond. You have valid questions but really how concerned are you with santo? I'd put him in Hansen category team value wise, myself. Although small sample size, I really don't think we're going to have to worry about him, even if he makes 2-2.5. The kid brings the effort night in and night out.

I was so glad when Torts mentioned him at a scrum last week. I was afraid he was "off the radar" too much with his injury. He reminds me of Burrows, just when he was blossoming as a scorer on the Canucks. He is a sparkplug and fights hard on every shift. Not to mention he is one of those BC boys that actually wants to play here.

Id be finally done with Gillis if he ever just let Santo slide out the door to another team. All in all I'm quite excited about next year with the influx of youth already mentioned. If Kesler stays, I'd like to see a Higgins / Kesler / Santorelli second line. Or a Burrows / Kesler / Santorelli line if Jensen keeps up his production with the twins. And that's without even mentioning Kassian. If he keeps on this development maturity arc, it'd be difficult to not justify inserting him into the top 6. Next year, barring another injury plagued season, we should be contending again. And with a young, fast, exciting brand.

But it sucks we have to now wait 6 months to get excited about the team again. ...er, I mean after we squeak into the playoffs and go on a tear to the SCF...

He doesn't fit on this team. There's no room for the young centres (Horvat, Gaunce) in the lineup if Santorelli returns.

No room for a guy that can play all 3 forward positions and both ends of the ice? I'll be pissed if Gillis doesn't get it done.

Injuries are going to happen and I don't want the likes of Lain, Archibald and Dalpe holding the fort down...

No room for a guy that can play all 3 forward positions and both ends of the ice? I'll be pissed if Gillis doesn't get it done.

Injuries are going to happen and I don't want the likes of Lain, Archibald and Dalpe holding the fort down...

Absolutely. Torts talked about loving versatile forwards. What is Mike Santorelli if he isn't anything but verstatile? Santo is a player smart coaches want on their team. The kid knows how to be a pro as evidenced by his ridiculous conditioning level coming into camp.

Santo can easily switch to wing so there isn't necessary any conflict there. He maintained a spot in the top 6 as a winger for a good portion of the season. No reason why he can't be super clutch in the top 6 or on the 3rd line. His passion and hard work is exactly what you want to surround our upcoming youth in.

Next year lines should look like this:

Sedin/Sedin/Jensen

Higgs/Horvat/Burrows

Santo/Gaunce/Fox

Matthias/Richardson/Kassian

DEF

Hamhuis/Bieksa

Garrison/Tanev

Weber/Subban*

Booth bought out. Edler gone. Dalpe demoted to Utica Comets. Ryan Kesler on 2nd line if he is still with Vancouver. If not Horvat. Get rid of Schroeder. Hansen gone. Subban gets called up and cracks the starting lineup. Or Corrado. Corrado a very good shutdown defenseman certainly the canucks could use.

Santo definitely a player to resign. Canucks can try to look for a top 4 defenseman in free agents. Garrison being the odd man out.

kassian matthias on 4th? gaunce and fox over those 2? Horvat on 2nd? Maybe by the end of the year, but to start:

Sedin Sedin Kassian (playing against teams checking line)

Higgins Kesler Burrows (20 mins a night shutting down other teams 1st lines)

Matthias Santorelli Hansen (solid defensive line covering other teams 2nd line)

Horvat Richardson Jensen (4th line against smaller/skilled teams like Montreal)

Sestito Richardson Archibald (4th line against teams with typical 4th lines)

Gaunce and Shinkaruk will be old enough to play in Utica (unlike Horvat who has to stick with the big club) so start them off in the minors.. Get rid of guys who have no future with us like Pelletier Defazio Stuart and put in Rodin Kenins and Fox.. Then you've got Dalpe Lain Grenier Friesen Mallet Blomstrand and zalewski to round out the 12... Young and inexperienced, but whatever.. its our farm team now so let our kids develope like detroit does it

trade schroeder

buy out booth

insert a couple ufa's and we look good

Hamhuis Tanev

Edler Bieksa

Stanton Corrado

let Alberts walk

trade Garrison and his 6mil salary he makes next year.. way too much for a 3rd pairing dman playing on his wrong side

Weber Andersson Tommernes Mceneny Blain Sauve Hutton

Huskins is playing awesome and has a stanley cup ring so he can stay

With Corrado graduating next season, we need to inject some better young Dmen into the system pushing our top 6 for spots.. also, our 2nd round pick should be a dman unless Cornel or Lemieux are available

Sauve shouldnt be getting called up to our pro team.. Garrison+Schroeder for Adam Clendening+2nd

again, insert a couple ufa's and we look good

Archived