The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which Macbook Pro?

OgS.MVP

Originally released October 2013
13.3-inch (diagonal) Retina display; 2560-by-1600 resolution at 227 pixels per inch
4GB of 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
128GB Flash Storage1
720p FaceTime HD camera
Intel Iris Graphics

or

Originally released October 2012

13.3-inch (diagonal) Retina display; 2560-by-1600 resolution at 227 pixels per inch
8GB of 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
256GB Flash Storage

720p FaceTime HD Camera

Intel HD Graphics 4000

One is the newer model but the other has more storage and RAM.

Originally released October 2013

4GB of 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM

128GB Flash Storage1

720p FaceTime HD camera

Intel Iris Graphics

or

Originally released October 2012

8GB of 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM

256GB Flash Storage

720p FaceTime HD Camera

Intel HD Graphics 4000

One is the newer model but the other has more storage and RAM.

I'd go with a PC, but if you are dead set on getting a Mac then I'd go with the the newer one. It has a fourth generation (Haswell) Intel processor and Thunderbolt 2. Haswell isn't huge improvement over it's predecessor, but nevertheless it's still an improvement. You can always upgrade the RAM in newer model if you find that you need more.

If the prices are the same...

I'd personally go with 8GB RAM because I run scientific research code on my computer and some of them are memory intensive. Also, 128GB of storage seems rather small.

I don't know what you use it for, if you just use it for fun (browsing and so on) and use it to do simple tasks like make documents and so on, then 4GB one would do.

I'd go with a PC, but if you are dead set on getting a Mac then I'd go with the the newer one. It has a fourth generation (Haswell) Intel processor and Thunderbolt 2. Haswell isn't huge improvement over it's predecessor, but nevertheless it's still an improvement. You can always upgrade the RAM in newer model if you find that you need more.

This is a good suggestion too. But my experience is that you don't feel the difference between the processors unless the improvement is significant. But if you don't have enough RAM, you will definitely feel it. If price is not a problem, then I'd go for the newer one and upgrade the RAM as SabreFan1 suggests.

I'd also go with a PC. But regarding the Haswells, their greatest improvements came in the form of reduced power usage while meeting or exceeding (albeit slightly exceeding), performance characteristics of its predecessors. So while you don't notice the performance improvement, you will notice improved battery life.

I do not game or store DVDs.

I’m a medical student, and I do not use any specialty-software, only have Word documents and occasionally stream TV shows that I enjoy.

I have around 20k of pictures, from various trips, but that’s about it.

I'd also go with a PC. But regarding the Haswells, their greatest improvements came in the form of reduced power usage while meeting or exceeding (albeit slightly exceeding), performance characteristics of its predecessors.

Yep. Here's a simplified Intel white sheet on it. http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/an-introduction-to-the-intel-4th-generation-core-processor

Wow, thats really helpful, thank you. I will go with the newer model I think.

By the way, I take back what I said about PC, its not garbage, used it for a long time, I think just the frustrations I used to have with having to re-install OS, deal with freezes, etc got the best of me. Lets not start the debate what is better, whoever said that both have pros and cons is correct.

Wow, thats really helpful, thank you. I will go with the newer model I think.

By the way, I take back what I said about PC, its not garbage, used it for a long time, I think just the frustrations I used to have with having to re-install OS, deal with freezes, etc got the best of me. Lets not start the debate what is better, whoever said that both have pros and cons is correct.

Good news is that people say that you can run OS X Mavericks just fine with the new one. Since you only have basic needs then I'm sure you'll do just fine with the 2013 model.

Don't mean to derail the thread but I got a apple question. I am going have to buy a new computer soon and I to want to get a mac since I am not a gamer and hate pc's. Is there a good reliable way to buy them 2nd hand or am I am going have to save up? I am thinking of getting a mini mac but love the convince of a laptop.

dont skimp on hd space, get the max you can afford.

15" mbp's are much better than the 13"...if you can afford it, get a 15" mbp 2013 model....they have the new thunderbolt 2 ports and great gfx cards.

if your getting a 13" then keep shopping and get a newer one with more ram and a bigger hard drive.

Archived