The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

( VALUE OF ) JOHN TORTARELLA

" Value of John Tortarella " ?

Does torts have value to this team going forward ?

Is he the man for the job ?

Is there a better option out there ?

Obviously Torts has value compared to not having a coach at all ! lol, but is he the man for the job moving forward the next couple of years ?

If not, who would be a better man for the job ?

Lets face it,Torts was not given the roster AV had in 2010-11. If Torts had AV's team of 2010-11 would Torts have done any better than AV ? Or are our coaching issues simply a result of BAD management ?

Although David Booth makes way to much for what he has contributed, I think Torts is in the process of making a real hockey player out of him even though we haven't seen the end result yet. I don't know that Booth will ever be the guy that he was supposed to be though.

I see Torts as a guy who is trying to fix the fundamental flaws of players. Something that won't show for while. Something that maybe doesn't look good now, but down the road pays off.

I think Torts has been pretty sheepish since the Calgary circus show! and rightfully so, as well as the media hype about him being fired for non performance. How ever, our loosing skid did coincide with loosing Santorelli, and we never won a game until Schroeder came back and now with the addition of Matthias.

I believe our current situation to be more of a result from poor team management than anything else !

I think Torts will be good for the kids.

ANY THOUGHTS ?

CDC is by far the worst addiction I have. Every now and then, whenever I see a terrible thread, I throw my arms up and say "That's it! I'm done!" And yet, I keep coming back. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me 4,072 times...

Sorry about that.

I just see all these posts trashing Booth and other players and can't help but think that Torts is part of the solution to our problems. The way I see it AV had success, But if we had had the right approach to the game we would have one Stanley cup if not more with our aging core soon to be has been core.

I also think Gillis may try to cover up his mistakes by firing Torts. You know how classy Gillis is. Would like to see Gillis focus on doing a better job than he has so far and leave Torts to do his.

Sorry about that.

I just see all these posts trashing Booth and other players and can't help but think that Torts is part of the solution to our problems. The way I see it AV had success, But if we had had the right approach to the game we would have one Stanley cup if not more with our aging core soon to be has been core.

I also think Gillis may try to cover up his mistakes by firing Torts. You know how classy Gillis is. Would like to see Gillis focus on doing a better job than he has so far and leave Torts to do his.

No worries, and welcome to CDC - such as it is!

New posters often benefit from spending some time reading through the existing threads. That way you get a feel for the boards and other posters while still getting to discus the Canucks.

Besides, any topic worth discussing or new story is posted within a minute of it happening (or even seconds) so there's bound to be a topic on almost anything you can think of - before you've thought of it.

You know what's been done to death? Your Edler bashing.

It's actually been so done to death, that others bashing his Edler bashing has been done to death.

CDC is by far the worst addiction I have. Every now and then, whenever I see a terrible thread, I throw my arms up and say "That's it! I'm done!" And yet, I keep coming back. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me 4,072 times...

someone else has this disease too?!?! thank you. im not alone

Same here

Yep... That's how it is.

" Value of John Tortarella " ?

Does torts have value to this team going forward ?

Is he the man for the job ?

Is there a better option out there ?

Obviously Torts has value compared to not having a coach at all ! lol, but is he the man for the job moving forward the next couple of years ?

If not, who would be a better man for the job ?

Lets face it,Torts was not given the roster AV had in 2010-11. If Torts had AV's team of 2010-11 would Torts have done any better than AV ? Or are our coaching issues simply a result of BAD management ?

Although David Booth makes way to much for what he has contributed, I think Torts is in the process of making a real hockey player out of him even though we haven't seen the end result yet. I don't know that Booth will ever be the guy that he was supposed to be though.

I see Torts as a guy who is trying to fix the fundamental flaws of players. Something that won't show for while. Something that maybe doesn't look good now, but down the road pays off.

I think Torts has been pretty sheepish since the Calgary circus show! and rightfully so, as well as the media hype about him being fired for non performance. How ever, our loosing skid did coincide with loosing Santorelli, and we never won a game until Schroeder came back and now with the addition of Matthias.

I believe our current situation to be more of a result from poor team management than anything else !

I think Torts will be good for the kids.

ANY THOUGHTS ?

I don't think he has any value. I think there's a chance he gets fired this year even though he's in year 1 of a five year contract, so that's hard to do.

There were rumors he's "lost the room". How is it actually possible to lose the room in your first season as the coach unless you're terrible?

He says the same lame things after every game and I honestly think he's trying to win every game 1 - 0 the way he makes his players play dump and chase with no real offense.

If AV were our coach this year, we'd have 30 more goals for and we'd be sitting in a playoff spot. So the value of Torts is zero.

John had 96 points in the ACHL in 1985-1986. Prior to that, he had 87 points.

I think he is a decent first line forward. I think he can net us a return of A level prospect+1st+top 6 forward

He's 5"8 though.. pretty small.

He also disappeared in the playoffs.

I don't think he has any value. I think there's a chance he gets fired this year even though he's in year 1 of a five year contract, so that's hard to do.

There were rumors he's "lost the room". How is it actually possible to lose the room in your first season as the coach unless you're terrible?

He says the same lame things after every game and I honestly think he's trying to win every game 1 - 0 the way he makes his players play dump and chase with no real offense.

If AV were our coach this year, we'd have 30 more goals for and we'd be sitting in a playoff spot. So the value of Torts is zero.

I'm not sold on the rumours being fact. Players were openly saying they respected Torts for what he did against the Flames during the game with the line brawl, and Henrik reiterated that on Team1040 yesterday that while they understood he'd have consequences for it they have no doubt Torts will go to bat for them.

Archived