The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC liquor ID Laws

argar11

I know if you purchase alcohol at any liquor stores you need two pieces of ID. One has to be government issued & the other can be anything as long as it's legit.

Anyways, I tried buying today at the bc liquor store I usually buy. So I carried my BC drivers enhanced card and my work ID card that has a picture of me on it. I don't have a credit card and I still have the old bc carecard and I don't wanna carry my passport with me. I never had any problem buying booze when I carry the same two ids until today.

Anyways today the cashier wouldn't sell me a case of beer cause my work id wasn't good enough and I disputed that it always works before and then he called the manager and said also that I my 2nd Id is not good enough. The manager said he'll let it allow this once but then I said no that I'll just go to another location and then he got all pissy at me cause he said that he was trying to help me.

In the end I went to another store and bought booze no problems.

Was the manager & cashier were just being pricks or my work id is not suitable to buy alcohol?

I know if you purchase alcohol at any liquor stores you need two pieces of ID. One has to be government issued & the other can be anything as long as it's legit.

Anyways, I tried buying today at the bc liquor store I usually buy. So I carried my BC drivers enhanced card and my work ID card that has a picture of me on it. I don't have a credit card and I still have the old bc carecard and I don't wanna carry my passport with me. I never had any problem buying booze when I carry the same two ids until today.

Anyways today the cashier wouldn't sell me a case of beer cause my work id wasn't good enough and I disputed that it always works before and then he called the manager and said also that I my 2nd Id is not good enough. The manager said he'll let it allow this once but then I said no that I'll just go to another location and then he got all pissy at me cause he said that he was trying to help me.

Was the manager & cashier were just being pricks or my work id is not suitable to buy alcohol?

Just being pricks. I have used my student Id and drivers license many times at various location with no problem.

I know' it is impossible to be grateful at your age but there will come a time when you can only wish that you are asked for ID.

Of course,at that point in time alcohol will mean little to nothing to you.

Im 45 and way past being asked for ID and alcohol holds a very special place in my heart and my belly. I dont think I have a single friend who isnt a social drinker. My Grandma is 96 and has a gin and tonic every so often. Adults dont binge drink and wake up on the neighbors lawn but we do like our drinks.

Depends. If your work ID has a physical elevation of your name with your signature, it's acceptable. If not, then they had grounds to refuse you.

I thought both pieces of ID had to be government issued.

Edit: I dont get ID'd too often anymore but when I did/do my Drivers Licence and SIN card were always acceptable.

Incorrect. Only one has to be government issued. Also, you shouldn't be carrying around your SIN card with you.

Depends. If your work ID has a physical elevation of your name with your signature, it's acceptable. If not, then they had grounds to refuse you.

Incorrect. Only one has to be government issued. Also, you shouldn't be carrying around your SIN card with you.

Or your Care Card for that matter

From the BC Ministry of Justice website:

It’s a good idea to have identification with you when purchasing alcohol in B.C. If a server believes you may be underage, they must verify your age by asking to see the following two pieces of ID:

• An official government issued ID (including official foreign government-issued IDs) with your name, signature, picture and birth date, such as a driver’s licence or passport.
  • A secondary piece of ID that includes an imprint of your name and your signature or picture, such as a credit card.

If the server has any doubts about a customer’s ID, they may refuse service.

Link http://www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/lclb/LLinBC/basics.htm

Whenever I have bought booze I use a fake ID because I am underage. Fortunately for me I am a man child so my appearance has not thrown people off. I have rarely gone out and bought booze though, I have usually gotten someone to boot for me(I would rather be safe than sorry). In a few months none of this will matter though.

As long as your secondary has the following

include an imprint of the person's name and

include the person's signature and/or picture

Then your good, so they were just being Pricks

This.

I work at a BC Liquor store. The majority of peoples secondary ID's are not signed or do not have an imprinted name on it. The reason sometimes we have to enforce these strict ID checks are because there are secret shoppers and of course because its the law. Some people let it slide because they are accustomed to certain customers. Also some employee's or managers are stricter then others. If we are caught selling to a minor or failing to ID someone who appears to be under the age of 25 (even if they are over 19), the store could be temporarily shut down, no one gets paid, no one gets to buy from that store and the store gets a hefty fine. Furthermore the employee gets disciplined. Our motto is when in doubt, call for a manager. Taking the extra one minute to verify with a manager places the onus off the employee and onto the manager. When the manager assumes the risk, they will usually cover their own ass (and the company's) and just refuse service. In the case of someone who is obviously over the age of 25, the manager will usually side with the customer and just tell you they will let it slide this once. But like another poster said, if we have any doubts, we can refuse service.

Downtown Vancouver is really stricted even more so than what you just posted. I was literally, standing not buying anything, by a cashier and I guess this woman came up just as I did so the Cashier assumed I was with this woman and she refused to sell the woman her booze until I showed her my drivers license and confirmed I was over the age of 18.

I thought it was pretty funny, the woman buying her booze did not lol.

And yet the Charter of rights and freedoms says it is illegal to discriminate on the basis of age. But I guess it is ok if the government is ignoring the charter, as long as it isn't the unwashed masses called citizens.

And yet the Charter of rights and freedoms says it is illegal to discriminate on the basis of age. But I guess it is ok if the government is ignoring the charter, as long as it isn't the unwashed masses called citizens.

Wow did you walk in the wrong door. I take it you are against controlling substances and are all for children drinking Mikes Hard in the streets instead of juice?

I'm going for a breakfast Bourbon.

As a lawyer, this type of post makes me want to repeatedly slam my head against the wall (feel free to insert lawyer joke as you see fit, I've heard them all!).

Ok:

Two boys meet at the mall and begin talking, one kid says " My dad is a lawyer" Boy number two says " Honest?" To which the first replies "No, just a regular lawyer".

I've got dozens of jokes, a small few of which are good ones.

Should have know a guy with a name like Literaphile, would take my post literaly.

Wow did you walk in the wrong door. I take it you are against controlling substances and are all for children drinking Mikes Hard in the streets instead of juice?

I'm going for a breakfast Bourbon.

Yes I am against controlling substances, what anyone chooses to ingest, snort or shoot up with is none of my concern, as long as they aren't at work or anywhere they can harm someone else. One hundered years ago people were getting married when they were 13. Chronological age is an arbitrary number. I know some very immature adults that should never drink and a few kids that are ok with a couple of wobbly pops.

Archived