The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL DRAFT: Should there be a restriction on how many times a team can draft in the top 5 within 5 a year span

Southpop45

155 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For years the NHL has looked for new ways to punish teams who tank or continually tank in order to get better draft picks.

What i am suggesting here is for the NHL to take on a new rule that restricts how many times a single team can draft within the top 5.

Correct me if I am wrong but i believe there is already a rule that states a single team can only draft 1st overall three times within a 5 year span.

I think most people would agree that is a fair rule. So why not take it a step further and say that a team can only draft in the top 5 three times in a 5 year span?

I for one am tired of seeing teams like the panthers, oilers, and islanders continue to get awarded by the NHL for continually being bottom feeders.

What do you guys think is the "3 top 5 picks in a 5 year span" idea going to far?

That's not going to happen.

Yes! Yes! Yes!

But yeah that's not going to happen. Most likely, you'll see an alteration of the lottery again. Suggestions have been made such as rewarding the team who finishes 17th overall in the regular season (just missing the playoffs) with the highest chance of winning the lottery.

Guest Gumballthechewy

Suggestions have been made such as rewarding the team who finishes 17th overall in the regular season (just missing the playoffs) with the highest chance of winning the lottery.

This seems like the most logical solution to me. Keep teams striving to be competitive.

Yes! Yes! Yes!

But yeah that's not going to happen. Most likely, you'll see an alteration of the lottery again. Suggestions have been made such as rewarding the team who finishes 17th overall in the regular season (just missing the playoffs) with the highest chance of winning the lottery.

But that just makes a team that isn't all that bad way better, while the crappy teams stay crappy, defying the league's dream of 'parity'.

It also punishes the team in last even though they may not have tanked. Some teams are just terrible and even if every team tries their hardest right to the end, some team has to end up last.

I say get rid of the weighted lottery and draft position by league standings altogether. As long as there is some relation between a team's place in the standings and their draft position, some form of tanking, however mild, will happen.

Everybody from 30th to 17th should an equal chance at each of the top 14 picks. Make it a real lottery where the bottom 14 teams literally have a draw for their draft position. As long as you miss the playoffs, your draft position is determined by luck. This would make tanking absolutely pointless. The OP's suggestion for 3 top 5 picks in a 5 year span maximum can apply in this system too.

The method for determining draft position for teams in the playoffs can stay how it is.

The substance in this post is overwhelming.

I'd support a rule to try "convince" crappy teams to stop trying to suck and get high draft picks. But it's getting pretty hilarious seeing Edmonton draft top 10 every year. Comedy gold.

More hilarious is how Edmonton then manages to screw up that talent's development.

Do people honestly think that some of these teams are bad on purpose? The NHL is a competitive league, finishing dead last or close to last year has consequences that people don't really talk about. The fans tune out, attendance suffers and you breed a losing culture that is hard to shake off. It also severely impacts free agency as top free agents don't want to sign with a club perpetually at the bottom. In some cases you even have the entire fan base screaming for blood. Just look at the Oilers and Islanders, fans are clearly not satisfied and now they have turned against the management and the team. It is an unpleasant situation all around.

I see a high draft pick as a reward to the fan base more so than the team as they are stuck watching a horrible team. It gives fans hope that one day the player they drafted and the pain they had to suffer through may actually be worth it in the end. I like the system the way it is, in fact I would end the gimmick that is the lottery and just order the draft based on the standings. It works for the NFL and MLB and I honestly don't see a problem with the worst team getting the best player.

Why are people wanting to punish teams that don't improve? You might as well throw the whole draft system out the window in that case.

The NFL, one of the most competitive, and money making leagues in North America has the draft the way the NHL used to be.

Where you finish, is where you get your pick. Finish last you pick first overall. Win the Super Bowl you pick last.

No stupid lottery picks, no gimmicks. The only reason Edmonton is not competitive is their scouts suck. They have drafted all the same type of player. Ironically all those who push for "draft the best player available", should look at Edmonton. They have drafted BPA, and they still sit at the bottom of the standings. A proper GM would have traded Yak for a defenseman, or traded the first overall pick to move down in the draft an pick up a franchise D-man.

High draft picks don't always mean you're getting a stud. Patrick Stefan ring a bell? Getting high draft picks won't help you if your GM and scouts don't have a clue of what they are doing.

Long and short. What kind of league do we want? A level playing field? Or a league where the best teams stay on top and small market or teams that struggle NEVER get a chance to improve.

The NHL had the the Draft right before Bettmann and his stupid NBA style draft system came into the league.

I've yet to see these bottom feeders reap the so-called "rewards" that you talk about. When one of these teams start a dynasty, we can bump this thread.

You could argue Chicago/Pittsburgh... but they had a proper system in place that they only were at the bottom for 2 or 3 years

Why are people wanting to punish teams that don't improve? You might as well throw the whole draft system out the window in that case.

The NFL, one of the most competitive, and money making leagues in North America has the draft the way the NHL used to be.

Where you finish, is where you get your pick. Finish last you pick first overall. Win the Super Bowl you pick last.

No stupid lottery picks, no gimmicks. The only reason Edmonton is not competitive is their scouts suck. They have drafted all the same type of player. Ironically all those who push for "draft the best player available", should look at Edmonton. They have drafted BPA, and they still sit at the bottom of the standings. A proper GM would have traded Yak for a defenseman, or traded the first overall pick to move down in the draft an pick up a franchise D-man.

High draft picks don't always mean you're getting a stud. Patrick Stefan ring a bell? Getting high draft picks won't help you if your GM and scouts don't have a clue of what they are doing.

Long and short. What kind of league do we want? A level playing field? Or a league where the best teams stay on top and small market or teams that struggle NEVER get a chance to improve.

The NHL had the the Draft right before Bettmann and his stupid NBA style draft system came into the league.

Edmontons thinking was that th3y had a franchise LW(Hall). Then they just gotten a franchise center (RNH), but instead of realizing they had a good young center(Gagne) and a up n coming rw(Eberle), they figure they snag franchise sniper rw(yakupov). They SHOULD have picked PMD (Murray)

They are bottom feeders and still cant turnaround the franchise. I'd say that is enough punishment/embarrassment already lol.

Do you really think the franchise would survives that? Imagine removing the NYI pick the year they drafted Tavares.

You know Bettman will do anything to save his markets, that rule would only make the poor team poorer. Not good for revenues for the league.

I've yet to see these bottom feeders reap the so-called "rewards" that you talk about. When one of these teams start a dynasty, we can bump this thread.

in a 5 year span from 2002-2006, pittsburgh picked 5th, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd.

that's seemed to have contributed to their success.

in a 5 year span from 2002-2006, pittsburgh picked 5th, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd.

that's seemed to have contributed to their success.

I'd say the fact they won the Crosby lottery influenced that success more than anything.

I doubt drafting Ryan Whitney, MA Fleury, Evgeni Malkin, Jordan Staal, and Jack Johnson would have made them the powerhouse they are today.

So long as poorly managed teams are rewarded for being poorly managed, teams will tank. The best way to have a draft is to award the top picks according to how much they improve from one year to the next. This will force teams to remain competitive throughout the season because even the bottom dwelling teams have the opportunity to move up draft positions. This system also gives the team that finishes dead last, the best chance of getting the top pick, because they would have the most opportunity to improve. Games would be more relevant all season. Of course an elite team would be very unlikely to get a top pick. Using this system would probably give Colorado Avs the top pick this year, the Canucks would probably draft last. Much as that sucks for a Canucks fans, you can't argue that they deserve any better.

Archived