The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL DRAFT: Should there be a restriction on how many times a team can draft in the top 5 within 5 a year span

Southpop45

155 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yes! Yes! Yes!

But yeah that's not going to happen. Most likely, you'll see an alteration of the lottery again. Suggestions have been made such as rewarding the team who finishes 17th overall in the regular season (just missing the playoffs) with the highest chance of winning the lottery.

That would just make the league lopsided. Actual bad teams would have a brutal time rebuilding unable to attract big FA's and having to rely on sub par draft picks to exceed expectation. Meanwhile a declining or pretty decent upcoming team racks in all the big talent. You would completely doom the bottom half of the NHL and destroy their revenue and competitiveness while a team like the Red Wings, Capitals, or Stars walk away with the #1 draft pick. If you look at last season players like MacKinnon, Barkov, Drouin, and Jones end up on teams like Columbus, Winnipeg, Phoenix, Philadelphia, or Dallas. Some of these teams would end up OP so fast

It would make the NHL even worse than the NBA. You would have teams that are ridiculously stacked and teams that have nothing at all.

I would do a double lottery: the 7 worst teams in the league get drawn with even weight to determine the draft lotto order 1 thru 7, and then the 7 teams that are not the worst but still didn't make the playoffs get drawn at even weight to determine 8 thru 14.

Once the 1 thru 14 are determined, the draft lotto would then commence. This takes any notion at all of teams performing to gain a particular pick right out of the equation. The worst team could end up 7th and then get bumped to 8th pick vis a vis losing the lotto. No team will tank to get the 8th pick, when that 'spot' in the standings is just 6 teams back in the leagues playoffs and potentially just 3 teams back in your conference.

Predominantly the worst teams will generally still get the best draft picks, but with no certainty for the worst team that year.

In my example Buffalo would have even odds of picking 1st thru 7th, and then slightly less odds of picking 8th, but no lower than 8th overall. This worst team would enjoy better drafting, but not be guaranteed any of the top 3 players. Win Win.

You could argue Chicago/Pittsburgh... but they had a proper system in place that they only were at the bottom for 2 or 3 years

Exactly, any team in the bottom 5 for 5 years isn't tanking, they're just bad. I understand limiting the number of 1st overalls in a row, but anything else is really just punishing bad teams.

But yeah that's not going to happen. Most likely, you'll see an alteration of the lottery again. Suggestions have been made such as rewarding the team who finishes 17th overall in the regular season (just missing the playoffs) with the highest chance of winning the lottery.

This would be excellent.

Why are people wanting to punish teams that don't improve? You might as well throw the whole draft system out the window in that case.

The NFL, one of the most competitive, and money making leagues in North America has the draft the way the NHL used to be.

Where you finish, is where you get your pick. Finish last you pick first overall. Win the Super Bowl you pick last.

No stupid lottery picks, no gimmicks. The only reason Edmonton is not competitive is their scouts suck. They have drafted all the same type of player. Ironically all those who push for "draft the best player available", should look at Edmonton. They have drafted BPA, and they still sit at the bottom of the standings. A proper GM would have traded Yak for a defenseman, or traded the first overall pick to move down in the draft an pick up a franchise D-man.

High draft picks don't always mean you're getting a stud. Patrick Stefan ring a bell? Getting high draft picks won't help you if your GM and scouts don't have a clue of what they are doing.

Long and short. What kind of league do we want? A level playing field? Or a league where the best teams stay on top and small market or teams that struggle NEVER get a chance to improve.

The NHL had the the Draft right before Bettmann and his stupid NBA style draft system came into the league.

Agreed,

There is a really bad trend amongst the NHL and its fans of over analyzing and over legislating everything.

More penalties! More rules! More replays! More refs! More complex draft systems! More suspensions!

It's screwing up the game.

The only thing the NHL needs to do is get rid of the instigator rule, add an illegal defense rule and give the power back to the ref (1 ref) to call the game as it's happening.

When it comes to Hockey, the simpler things are the better.

Just for fun, If you were to bring up you're opinion in the board of meetings; how do you think you would come across to them? you wouldn't have much to go off, whats you're reasoning? Doesn't make a whole lot of justice imo. But to answer the question, I don't think it should be changed nor will it...hasn't this far into our game.

Cheers

They picked the wrong players. Seguin-Landeskog-Murray, rebuild done.

Instead they picked 3 guys who can't play defense and aren't leaders.

I am leaning more towards player development/management. I don't think you can really say that any of those players would be doing what they are now in Edmonton's system. Plenty of prospects and NHL players see noticeable pick ups or drop offs in different systems.

Even Seguin is a much better looking player in Dallas than he was in Boston. JVR was much better in Toronto's system than Philly's. Voracek much better in Philly's system than Columbus. Really I could list quite a lot of young players who sputtered a bit then took off with a new team.

I would be shocked if Edmonton was actually getting the most out of these players and it was mainly just bad scouting. I am not to surprised that Hemsky seems more relevant now that he left or that Joffrey Lupul had by far his worst season with them.

IMO they stunt their own growth with poor player development and management.

You could argue Chicago/Pittsburgh... but they had a proper system in place that they only were at the bottom for 2 or 3 years

Don't forget Colorado. But I always consider tanking to be a legitimate option, as long as they end up contending five years later. Those who fail, I could care less about.

We know what's happening to New York, Edmonton's going into its sixth year of garbage, and Florida is there too. I bet McDavid and Reinhart want nothing less than to be drafted by those three teams.

imagine if there was no lottery so teams can't rise. Then St. Louis would have Crosby and Phildelpiha would have Kane. Could imagine how that would have re-written history?

Imagine if you pust capital letters at the beginning of your posts. I'd have two fewer posts than I have now.

Why do people have to finagle everything? There shouldn't even be a lottery. Worst should get first. The Sabres are a solid franchise with solid ownership and a great fan base. After suffering through this awful year it just seems fair they get the top pick.

Why do people have to finagle everything? There shouldn't even be a lottery. Worst should get first. The Sabres are a solid franchise with solid ownership and a great fan base. After suffering through this awful year it just seems fair they get the top pick.

The lottery is in place to deter teams from tanking. Even if you tank doesn't ensure to get the top pick (see Columbus).

Agreed,

There is a really bad trend amongst the NHL and its fans of over analyzing and over legislating everything.

More penalties! More rules! More replays! More refs! More complex draft systems! More suspensions!

It's screwing up the game.

The only thing the NHL needs to do is get rid of the instigator rule, add an illegal defense rule and give the power back to the ref (1 ref) to call the game as it's happening.

When it comes to Hockey, the simpler things are the better.

Outstanding post!

Archived