The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

B.C. family furious teen vaccinated without parental consent

key2thecup

B.C. family furious teen vaccinated without parental consent
Dean Bootsma not against vaccines for everyone, just his children

image.jpg

A B.C. couple are furious after public health nurses vaccinated their teenage daughter at school without parental consent.

Dean Bootsma said his 14-year-old daughter was pulled out of her Grade 9 class and inoculated against tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis (whooping cough) without checking her medical history, calling him or his wife, or having them sign a consent form.

"The fact that they did this without our knowledge or consent sickens me, sickens me. I've never felt so violated," said Bootsma.

Bootsma said he and his wife are not against vaccines in general, but have chosen not to vaccinate their children out of worry they may be predisposed to an adverse reaction. The couple say their first daughter developed a high fever hours after being inoculated.

"She was a fine bouncy little baby and then she, after receiving the shot ... within 12 hours, [she] couldn't lift her head up, she started fevering,” said Bootsma.​

That daughter died 10 years ago after a lengthy battle with cerebral dysgenesis​ — a malformation of the brain.

Bootsma said doctors denied the vaccine had anything to do with the disease. They told the family it may have been a pre-existing condition, but Bootsma ​said it is not worth the risk for his children to have the vaccine.

14 is age of mature minor consent in B.C.

Bootsma said he had no idea children are allowed to make their own medical decisions in B.C.

Under the B.C. Infants Act, however, parents do not need to sign a consent form for children 14 years of age and older to be inoculated, as long as a doctor or nurse believes the child is mature enough to understand the risks and benefits of the treatment.

'I didn’t really know what to do, and she didn’t really give me an option to not get a vaccine.'- Dean Bootsma's 14-year-old daughter

Bootsma's 14-year-old daughter, who did not want to be named to protect her privacy, told CBC News she was not asked about any medical history of an adverse reaction. Had she been asked, she said, she would have told nurses, "My sister in the past had an allergic reaction to it. So I would have said yes, but they never asked me."

Bootsma also said his daughter is not mature enough to make medical decisions and was too shy to question nurses.

"I didn’t really know what to do, and she didn’t really give me an option to not get a vaccine," said the girl.

"She tried explaining it to me, I guess, but I couldn’t really hear her over everyone else."

Teens' wishes can trump those of parents

The Fraser Health Authority would not talk about this particular case, but said its nurses followed the legal procedure for obtaining mature minor consent.

"If you look at the informed consent guidelines that public health nurses go by, they do ask if there is any contraindications to the vaccine," said Provincial Health Officer Perry Kendall.

'Children can make informed decisions if they are sufficiently mature enough, and I think we have to respect that.'- Provincial Health Officer Perry Kendal

"Children can make informed decisions if they are sufficiently mature enough, and I think we have to respect that. … The courts have said very clearly they have the right to do that."

Kendall said that with inoculation rates in Canada down to just 84 per cent, public health nurses are just doing their job. He said they are actively trying to boost those numbers when they visit schools for routine Grade 9 booster shots.

"Nurses will, in fact, go and look for the unvaccinated kids to see if they can get them vaccinated," said Kendall.

He said the risk from disease is much higher than any potential side-effect from the vaccine.

Once a young person signs a mature minor consent form, the teenager's wishes trump those of their parents.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-family-furious-teen-vaccinated-without-parental-consent-1.2570354

Parents who don't vaccinate their kids are doing them a lot more harm than good.

Actually they're not.

You're more likely to have a bad reaction and get ill from a vaccine shot then dying from Tetanus, Diphtheria, or Whooping Cough.

The fact that doctors still don't have the research to determine the long term effects of some of these new vaccines, should make parents question what doctors are injecting into their children.

Actually they're not.

You're more likely to have a bad reaction and get ill from a vaccine shot then dying from Tetanus, Diphtheria, or Whooping Cough.

The fact that doctors still don't have the research to determine the long term effects of some of these new vaccines, should make parents question what doctors are injecting into their children.

Vaccines in Canada go through very strict and strenuous testing before they're approved.

You definitely have a way higher chance of dying from Whooping Cough than from a bad reaction with a vaccine.

Vaccines have saved way more lives than its killed...

Don't even get me started on smallpox or tuberculosis.

Actually they're not.

Do you know what herd immunity is? Also, source?

Vaccines in Canada go through very strict and strenuous testing before they're approved.

You definitely have a way higher chance of dying from Whooping Cough than from a bad reaction with a vaccine.

Vaccines have saved way more lives than its killed...

Don't even get me started on smallpox or tuberculosis.

You're not taking into account how corrupt pharmaceutical companies have become then.

These giant corporations have control over government officials, and have ways of getting their medications approved.

If the testing is so strict and strenuous, why do you always see commercials warning people about medications after they've been released? I'm sure you've seen them.

Bottom line is, there's big money in medication and vaccines. It's up to people to stop and question what it is they're taking, and whether it's really necessary.

Do you know what herd immunity is? Also, source?

Have you heard of those three infections?

None of them are life threatening if a person has a normal immune system.

People at risk are the ones that should be getting vaccines, not people with healthy immune systems.

Parents who don't vaccinate their kids are doing them a lot more harm than good.

I'm guessing you didn't read the whole article as to why this is so important to this family....

Bootsma said he and his wife are not against vaccines in general, but have chosen not to vaccinate their children out of worry they may be predisposed to an adverse reaction. The couple say their first daughter developed a high fever hours after being inoculated.

"She was a fine bouncy little baby and then she, after receiving the shot ... within 12 hours, [she] couldn't lift her head up, she started fevering,” said Bootsma.​

That daughter died 10 years ago after a lengthy battle with cerebral dysgenesis​ — a malformation of the brain.

You're not taking into account how corrupt pharmaceutical companies have become then.

These giant corporations have control over government officials, and have ways of getting their medications approved.

If the testing is so strict and strenuous, why do you always see commercials warning people about medications after they've been released? I'm sure you've seen them.

Bottom line is, there's big money in medication and vaccines. It's up to people to stop and question what it is they're taking, and whether it's really necessary.

I'm not denying theres corruption because with any big company (no matter what) there is.

But it's undeniable that vaccines have saved more lives than it harms.

That also applies for (most) medication. Obviously theres side effects and it might not work the best for each individual person; but overall it benefits society more than it harms.

Spoken like someone who doesn't realize scientists have been wrong throughout human history...

Right... and so you probably think the lunar landing is fake?

Before you make generalizations about science and start giving out fake scientific facts like your quote about the vaccines earlier.... do some research first. Or else you just sound uneducated and ignorant.

Why are you using a computer right now. "Science" could be dead wrong and it could be giving you super cancer right now!!1

:picard:

So now I said that all science is wrong? Wow, some people don't know how to have arguments without jumping to extremes.

Please do some research into big pharmaceutical and what they've been up to over the last two decades, and then get back to me.

'Children can make informed decisions if they are sufficiently mature enough, and I think we have to respect that.'- Provincial Health Officer Perry Kendal

Sounds like someone is trying to protect themselves legally speaking.

Family should get lawyer and sue. Another fine example of health care dictating to patients, and defending themselves with the usual "it's within protocol, etc"

How dare anyone, let alone child, should have the right to choose if they want it or not.

I'm not denying theres corruption because with any big company (no matter what) there is.

But it's undeniable that vaccines have saved more lives than it harms.

That also applies for (most) medication. Obviously theres side effects and it might not work the best for each individual person; but overall it benefits society more than it harms.

Right... and so you probably think the lunar landing is fake?

Before you make generalizations about science and start giving out fake scientific facts like your quote about the vaccines earlier.... do some research first. Or else you just sound uneducated and ignorant.

I'm assuming yo got your H1N1 vaccine then, correct?

I never made generalizations, I said that scientists have been wrong. And saying that we should accept all things that are "science" is probably the most ignorant thing said in this thread. Anyone that knows the history of scientific discovery, knows that they work in theories that can always be proven wrong.

The reality is that viruses will continue to get stronger as human immunity systems get weaker, until there will be no way to combat them. You can thank vaccines for that.

Archived