The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Leafs Choking Again

Jiggs50

The leafs have begun their annual free fall once again. The mighty chokers are back at it.

The Leafs were sitting 3rd in the East two weeks ago. After dropping 5 straight their playoff chances are quickly evaporating. Schedule doesn't get much easier with the Blues and Redwings up next. James Reimer is being made the scapegoat.(Take that Nonis LOL)

I wonder how CBC feels about this. I'm looking forward to HNIC....I wonder what Glenn Healy's face will look like when the leafs choke again.

Anyway how do Canucks fans feel about this? Does this take the spotlight away from our cursed season? I'm loving it!

Toronto still has a better chance at making the playoffs than us.

No this doesn't really take the spotlight away. The sudden drop in performance starting in 2014 caught everyone by surprise considering how good we were in December.

Naw we need more Canadian teams to make it to the playoffs. I think in Canada we should at least cheer on other Canadian teams so long as they are not playing our own.

Cup needs to come back to Canada one day, hopefully with the Canucks but at any rate it needs to come home!

The leafs have begun their annual free fall once again. The mighty chokers are back at it.

The Leafs were sitting 3rd in the East two weeks ago. After dropping 5 straight their playoff chances are quickly evaporating. Schedule doesn't get much easier with the Blues and Redwings up next. James Reimer is being made the scapegoat.(Take that Nonis LOL)

I wonder how CBC feels about this. I'm looking forward to HNIC....I wonder what Glenn Healy's face will look like when the leafs choke again.

Anyway how do Canucks fans feel about this? Does this take the spotlight away from our cursed season? I'm loving it!

HNIC was made...............

Various-Comedy+-+Just+For+Laughs+-+LP+RE

just_for_laughs_festival.jpg

Naw we need more Canadian teams to make it to the playoffs. I think in Canada we should at least cheer on other Canadian teams so long as they are not playing our own.

Cup needs to come back to Canada one day, hopefully with the Canucks but at any rate it needs to come home!

Montreal.

Just...............not

......Toronto.

Montreal.

Just...............not

......Toronto.

TO IMO better than Edmonton or Calgary, but Edmonton or Calgary better than it down to the states for the rest of eternity

Ideally Canucks then Ottawa, Winnipeg, Montreal, Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton for me.

Used to be Edmonton was higher until our run in 2011 with all the Venom spewed at me from Edmonton fans I know.

Montreal.

Just...............not

......Toronto.

I have the opposite view. I desperately want the cup to return to Canada...just not with the Habs.

I live in Montreal, and their fans are the worst when it comes to this topic. I have friends who have gone on record to say they'd rather an American team win than a Canadian team...not for the separatist dribble youd imagine, but because they hate the idea that another team would be "the last Canadian team to win a cup".

Still clinging to 1993. Not to mention the whole 24 Stanley Cups argument as a rebuttal against everything.

Ughhh I hate Habs fans... I'd even rather Toronto win a cup.

I've been saying it since the beginning of the year, if the Leafs play the kind of hockey they have been they won't be a playoff team.

Quite a few bright spots this year, however.

Phil Kessel has emerged as one of the league's elite players, and has contributed an excellent two way presence.

Dion Phaneuf has had a tremendous season defensively, he really earned that contract.

Jonathan Bernier has emerged as one of the NHL's better starting goalies.

And most importantly, Cody Franson will be gone next year!

I've been saying it since the beginning of the year, if the Leafs play the kind of hockey they have been they won't be a playoff team.

Quite a few bright spots this year, however.

Phil Kessel has emerged as one of the league's elite players, and has contributed an excellent two way presence.

Dion Phaneuf has had a tremendous season defensively, he really earned that contract.

Jonathan Bernier has emerged as one of the NHL's better starting goalies.

And most importantly, Cody Franson will be gone next year!

Phanuef is still a pylon and not worth that contract no way. I love Bernier though. Fierce competitor. Is Franson that bad?? I thought he was a top 3 dman??

Phanuef is still a pylon and not worth that contract no way. I love Bernier though. Fierce competitor. Is Franson that bad?? I thought he was a top 3 dman??

Franson is worse defensively than Alex Edler.

He's that bad.

I'm a pretty diehard Canucks fan, and I hope the Leafs don't make the playoffs as much as the next guy, but I don't think a fan of the Vancouver Canucks should accuse any other teams of being "chokers".

It's like trying to make fun of the homeless when you're living in that cardboard box by East Hastings and Main

TO's building phase with this group is over. They need to be winning soon and they really needed to do it this year before Kessel's and Phaneuf's mammoth deals kicked in. But instead of shoring up the defense, which is the weakpoint on the team, they traded Liles for Gleason, which is a parallel move at best and Gleason is just as overpaid as Liles if not moreso.

Long-term the problem, the HUGE problem going forward is that Clarkson contract. It's going to keep them from keeping pieces around now and adding pieces to make them more competitive down the road. Another mistake was collecting the Gleason contract to replace the Liles contract. The point is to DUMP the bad contract, not replace it with another. But I guess all Canadian teams need their Keith Ballard.

Phaneuf has been good this season, but as of late he's been a penalty-taking minus player.

The good news is that Bolland is back, although perhaps too early as he's been a total non-factor so far, and Bernier will be back soon to save the day. Whatever success they have going forward this season really, really orbits around Bernier's groin now.

Quick question: Why is Morgan Reilly, a 19yr old not really known as a shutdown defensive stud, on the PK ever? He gets scored on way too much in that scenario. Nonis really should have picked up another defenseman, but perhaps he botched up the cap too much to be able to.

2013 - Reimer carries the leafs to the playoffs

2014 - Reimer destroys the teams playoffs hopes

We need Bernier back

@TOml I have no idea why Reilly is on the PK. Coaches can make dumb decisions at times. Gunnerson, Phaneuf, Gleason are all better options, maybe the club just sees Reilly as the 4th best option and use him on the 2nd unit.

I'm a pretty diehard Canucks fan, and I hope the Leafs don't make the playoffs as much as the next guy, but I don't think a fan of the Vancouver Canucks should accuse any other teams of being "chokers".

It's like trying to make fun of the homeless when you're living in that cardboard box by East Hastings and Main

I dunno, I think we're all very aware that our own team chokes hard.

Archived