The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2nd Line Center

Mimerez

Yeah, that's certainly a fair recollection. Gillis said that he has a long way to go to meet his potential, but was essentially NHL ready regardless, implied that he would be able to step into the lineup, and was going to help the team - what the timeline was for how much he'd help wasn't really stated.

I don't see what he said as a misrepresentation at all. I think he was pretty forthright - Kassian wasn't merely a project, but he also wasn't that far along his development curve. Kassian stepped in and played a little more than 11 minutes a game - pretty much tweener depth minutes, and only a couple off of what Hodgson was playing.

But I think the point elvis is trying to make is that people get carried away with interpretations that go well beyond what is actually stated or known. My personal impression is that Kesler will probably be moved if the right deal presents itself (and I think that's kind of what Absent was saying, although went a bit beyond to say what Kesler wants) - but I certainly can't base my impression on any 'knowledge' that he in fact wants out. I think at this point we're pretty much left reading between the lines. There may be a truth underlying that isn't quite stated - and probably for the best - but at this point we don't really know whether all this originates from Kesler approaching management, or management approaching Kesler, or teams approaching Gillis leading to speculation, or Kesler talking to fellow Americans at the Olympics.... People's minds simply have the tendency to turn comments such as Gillis' at the 2012 trade deadline into "he promised us an immediate impact player" or unknown sources at this deadline into 'Kesler definitely wants out.' Kesler himself however has pretty much been coy about it - something I appreciate actually.

Basically it, and Absent might even mean it that way. But this is CDC and people saying their opinion as a statement of fact somehow becomes fact for ever more. We can all agree it's possible (and with the rumours of offers if one team can see fit to be reasonable I think he could well move) but to be so confident as to say Kesler has already moved on is reason enough to ask for what backing they have to say that.

Ryan Kesler, Chris Tanev and Brendan Gaunce for PK Subban and a 2nd

Edler for Mantha and a 1st if he will waive

Sign Stastny

Buyout booth

Sedin Sedin Burr

Jensen Stastny Santorelli

Higgins Horvat Kassian

Ritchie Matthias Hansen

Archi

Hamhuis Subban

Edler Bieksa

Garrison Corrado

Stanton

Mix all as needed

Shinkaruk and Mantha waiting in minors plus this years pick.

Why would Montreal give up the face of their franchise? (Next to Price.) Especially for an injury ridden Kesler. Plus, they are pretty loaded on centers with Desharnais, Plekanec, Galchenyuk, Briere and Eller. Guance has little value here.

Edler isn't worth Mantha and a 1st. Edler isn't worth either separately. Teams don't trade elite prospects, especially for a player comparable to Landeskog.

Stastny would look good on that 2nd line but I don't think Colorado is letting him go. I'd like a Kesler for Nyquist deal but Nyquist is on fire right now and Detroit would be crazy to let this kid go in a trade.

If Philly is dangling Brayden Schenn, I would love to have the kid here, ideally I'd rather have Couterier but I don't think that is happening. I'd take Schenn over Sutter, unless Pittsburgh is thinking of sending Bennett along as well.

I recall MG saying that he was looking at a winger for Kes, so I'm not sure about him being traded. If he's staying, I would like to see the Nucks go after a UFA like Callahan, or even an older guy like Alfredsson (1year), who can score +20 goals and take the pressure of the prospects.

If Kes is leaving, then the only decent UFA available is Statsny and he will get a lot of $ (more than Sedins). They might go short term with an older guy like Koivu or bring in Legwand, but that would definately be a downgrade for the 2nd line.

It's not likely that they would trade Kes for another 2nd C (kind of a redundant move), so they would probably have to make a trade for one. I think they will have to part with one of the top 4 Dmen, which could be done without hampering the team. I'm not sure who would go -hopefully not Tanev, Hamhuis or Bieksa.

I think we could look at Chicago for an example of the lesser need for a 2nd line center. We could move kesler for a top winger+. And use a decent player to be the center on the 2nd line. for example:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Trade Santorelli Jensen

Higgins Mathias Kassian

Horvat/Sestito Richardson Hansen

The top 6 winger depth, and bottom 6 center depth make up for a second line center

I would soo rather have Horvat playing a center role rather than a 4th line winger role... at that point we might as well have Horvat playing top line center and top PP role down in Utica..

I would soo rather have Horvat playing a center role rather than a 4th line winger role... at that point we might as well have Horvat playing top line center and top PP role down in Utica..

*Horvat can't play in Utica next year. It's either Canucks or another year of Junior.

Kesler to Colorado for Ryan O'Reilly.

Why Colorado does it: ROR needs to be qualified at 6.5. That is a lot of money/cap, especially if they also want to keep Stastny. Trading for Kesler frees up at least 1.5 of cap room, possibly allowing them to retain Stastny as well, and/or shore up the D. Kesler is a better overall player at this point of his career, so may as well go all-in with MacKinnon still on his ELC. Kesler's contract will run out just in time for MacKinnon's big raise.

Why Vancouver does it: ROR provides similar intangibles to Kesler, but is young, and will provide them for a long time to come. His next contract will likely be long, and he can be the top-6 mainstay that will transition from the twins to the new generation. Less injury risk too. And...of course, if Kesler wants to go, let's avoid the drama this time.

Why Kesler waives the NTC: Colorado is a hot young team on the rise, and will give him as good a shot at winning the cup in the next couple years as most other teams. Plus, all the winning and scoring will definitely help him look good for the next contract. And...of course, if he wants to go, this is a pretty attractive destination.

I think how these playoffs go will likely affect a potential Kesler trade. There will be a couple teams who everyone favors that will prove to be not as good as they think they are. And likely a couple younger teams who suddenly look better than anyone thought they were yet.

Archived