The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Goalie leaves net, gets changed, drives away while trailing 8-1 in second period of OHL playoff game

WINDSOR, Ont. - The Windsor Spitfires were left with just one goaltender Tuesday after having their starter walk out on them midway through Game 3 of their Ontario Hockey League playoff matchup with the London Knights.

Dalen Kuchmey pulled himself from Windsor's net, went to the dressing room, changed and drove away from the arena after giving up eight goals on 26 shots, leaving the Spitfires trailing 8-1 with 5:34 remaining in the second period.

London went on to win the game 10-2.

"You're going to have to ask him," Spitfires head coach Bob Boughner said when asked about Kuchmey's whereabouts during the third period. "He left the ice and the rink before the (second) period was over. He quit on our team and he quit on his teammates."

Kuchmey was making his first start of the series, filling in for regular starter Alex Fotinos who came down sick after starting Game 1 and 2.

London jumped out to a 4-0 lead after 20 minutes of play and Boughner spoke to Fotinos about replacing Kuchmey to start the second, but decided to stick with the healthier 19-year-old despite the score.

"I asked our backup goalie (Fotinos) who had been sick all day at the end of the first period if he could go in if we had to pull Kuch at some point," Boughner said. "He said, 'if you need me, great, but I don't feel good at all'.

Added Boughner: "Our backup was sick. It is what it is and I really don't have anything more to say as I haven't talked to (Kuchmey). But once you quit on our team .... I'd rather concentrate on the guys who want to be here."

Ryan Rupert and Bo Horvat each had a goal and three assists for the Knights, who have a commanding 3-0 series lead. Zach Bell, Chandler Yakimowicz, Michael McCarron, Matt Rupert, Nikita Zadorov, Chris Tierney, Josh Anderson and Mitchell Marner added the others.

London's Anthony Stolarz made 24 saves for the win. Stolarz received a two-minute minor for high sticking at the 15:56 mark of the first period after hitting Josh Ho-Sang in the back of the head with his stick.

Ho-Sang and Ben Johnson scored for the Spitfires as Fotinos wound up stopping 11-of-13 shots in 25 minutes of relief.

Boughner added that goaltender Brendan Johnston could be called up from Chatham Jr. B in time for Game 4 on Thursday.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/Windsor+Spitfires+goalie+leaves+gets+changed/9663540/story.html

----------------------------------------------------------

What a dick! Don't think I've ever heard of this happening before. You would think this will be a career killer.

Rec hockey? I've never even seen that in shinny. Maybe in street hockey, but the kid forgot to wear a cup so nobody blamed him for leaving.

That made me laugh and took me back 25 years or so. We used to play pretty much every day after school for a couple hours. This one kid got all pissy in net one day and walked home. We never let him play again after that.

It sucked though as he was the only one with decent pads, LOL!

Guest Gumballthechewy

Yea was gonna say, he has 0 chance of playing pro hockey now.

I doubt he'll ever play another game again, ever, anywhere.

Yea was gonna say, he has 0 chance of playing pro hockey now.

He had 0 chance of playing pro hockey to begin with. He turns 20 next month, this was his last year before he presumably goes to university. He would be an overager next year and no one will use an overage slot on a goalie unless he's a top goalie in the CHL.

I feel bad for the kid. He's the team's back up who was thrust into starting a playoff game because the starting goalie got sick. He probably felt as if he let his team, and the town of Windsor down and wanted to get out of the situation.

Now, I obviously don't agree with just bailing on your team like that. But given what happened a couple weeks back with that other CHL player who took his own life, perhaps people shouldn't be too harsh towards this guy. After all, he's just a 20 year old kid, not a professional.

I can understand pulling yourself if you just gave up 8 goals on 26 shots. You may feel so bad you dont want to hurt your team anymore.

Walking into the dressing room , changing and driving away is so bizarre that there is no way a scout could consider him to have the mental fortitude to have a pro career.

The guy is finished.

Not too many options when you are just an OHL team. The "backup goalie" as referred to in the article is actually normally the team's starting goalie.

Put a skater in if you have to, a persons health is more important than an OHL hockey game.

I feel bad for the kid. He's the team's back up who was thrust into starting a playoff game because the starting goalie got sick. He probably felt as if he let his team, and the town of Windsor down and wanted to get out of the situation.

Now, I obviously don't agree with just bailing on your team like that. But given what happened a couple weeks back with that other CHL player who took his own life, perhaps people shouldn't be too harsh towards this guy. After all, he's just a 20 year old kid, not a professional.

Despite my initial comment and reaction, you're right. The action should be condemned but give the kid a break - it's as high-pressure a situation as I've ever been in and it totally blew up in his face. Seems he's getting some support on twitter from his peers which is a good thing.

Archived