The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

At this point, REAL FANS Cheer for the opponent.

Totes McGoats

This team is destined for another middle of the pack finish. Middle of the pack = 13th overall.

Real fans should be cheering for this team to lose lose lose. They need to get into that sweet 5-10 overall status by the end of the season and draft a friggin' star player.

This season has been a bust, riddled with injuries, adjusting to a new coach, questionable GM work - etc etc etc

This team has a 2% chance of making the playoffs. They are literally 1 game away from statistical impossibility.

Real fans are looking forward to the 2nd season right now. Get golfing boys - get your injuries healed, we're going to need you to win next year. But this year, please tank tank tank.

Regards,

A Real fan.

FLAME ON.

I am a fan of this team. I am real. Therefore I am a real fan.

Why would I flame on? Because your definition of a real fan is different from mine?

Oooh. Because you are disappointed things are not going the way you want them to, and wanted to focus your anger on somebody. You thought you would get me all riled up by not calling me a real fan, didn't you?

This team is destined for another middle of the pack finish. Middle of the pack = 13th overall.

Real fans should be cheering for this team to lose lose lose. They need to get into that sweet 5-10 overall status by the end of the season and draft a friggin' star player.

This season has been a bust, riddled with injuries, adjusting to a new coach, questionable GM work - etc etc etc

This team has a 2% chance of making the playoffs. They are literally 1 game away from not making them.

Real fans are looking forward to the 2nd season right now. Get golfing boys - get your injuries healed, we're going to need you to win next year. But this year, please tank tank tank.

Regards,

A Real fan.

FLAME ON.

I have to agree with you, as much as I enjoy when they win it's a happy feeling that's a little depressing when I consider the end results of a win. It is do much better at this point to get a good pick. It's just do hard to not want to see them score and win!!!!!!

The 13th overall pick would be an upgrade over drafting 22nd, 29th, 26th, and 24th.

If we can find gems like Jensen, Gaunce, and Shinkaruk later in the first round, I'm sure we could find an even better one at 13th.

Zack Kassian was a 13th overall pick. The guy that everyone is in love with again.

Do I trust Gillis to find a star with the 10th pick over the 13th pick?

Don't think so.

Do I trust Lack, Jensen, and Kassian will come back even stronger and with more confidence next year if they learn what it takes to win some games down the stretch?

Very much so.

I'll root for that.

if we lose our players lose confidence in themselves, in eachother and the coach. A real fan wants to see his team play their best every night. A real fan wants to see the best game possible between two teams. Become a fan of hockey before you become a fan of a team

all the trolls are chiming in on this one

playing to loose is like a cancer, once you let your team go that path it will screw up your franchise for years, just ask the oilers how easy it is to get out of a tanking mindset.

Canucks are too proud and classy to play to loose, our fans however are a different cult

Is it shortsighted and foolish to support a playoff push at this point? Yes.

Is it acceptable to label fans that support tanking as the "real" fans and exclude the anti-tankers? Absolutely not. They are just as much of a fan as you, spend just as much money and time caring about this team as you and are therefore entitled to support a playoff push as much as they please.

It's pathetic our OWN fanbase has to subdivide itself into smaller factions opposing each other such as "tankers" and "lu lovers."

Besides, talent like Tuch, Kempe, Pastrnak and Honka are all talent that we are capable of picking up at 13th.

And like Deniro said, Kassian was a 13th pick, and gems are much easier to find at 13 rather than in the 20's.

Why would you want to watch a group of sore losers tank just for 2-4 better drafts spots... who would pay to see that? That sets a horrible example for the youth movement that Gillis is putting together.

It's not in my make up to cheer for my team to lose.

In the words of Russell Peters: "can't do it".

Nope, I want them to feel good. To gain momentum and confidence that can carry over. I don't want them to completely lose any sense of dignity they may have. To give up on this game they love. I see that spark coming back...that's a good thing. How can you do anything but support that?

I'm about as real a fan as you'll find....live, breathe, eat and sleep this stuff. And if I can squeeze an extra few hockey games in this season, let's do it. I'll hope until there is no hope left.

Don't you see Kass starting to blossom? Booth starting to find his stride? Burr regaining his form? And you don't want to see that? Pull for it to develop and continue? What kind of fan cheers for that to falter and fail?

I get your viewpoint and accept that some feel that way....but it isn't the "correct" way to feel, it's just right for you. And the same goes for those cheering the team on with the slimmest of possibilities. It varies with individuals who don't all want the same thing in life. Your way isn't guaranteed success and people speak as if it is. It's all just a matter of hoping for something.

Archived