The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If Nashville passes us in points....

canucklekassian

If Nashville passes us in points all the Canadian teams will be in the basement of the western conference. Is this what the NHL wants? Is this the purpose of the realignment? Is this the demise of Canadian success in hockey? Will the Canadiens be the only team in the playoffs. I predicted the Canadiens where gonna win the playoffs this year. If they have a lineup similar to the start of the year and remain healthy they will win it.

If Nashville passes us in points all the Canadian teams will be in the basement of the western conference. Is this what the NHL wants? Is this the purpose of the realignment? Is this the demise of Canadian success in hockey? Will the Canadiens be the only team in the playoffs. I predicted the Canadiens where gonna win the playoffs this year. If they have a lineup similar to the start of the year and remain healthy they will win it.

I'm tired of all this "Bettman wants Canadian teams to fail so the US market can grow". Bettman, like everyone else, knows which side his bread is buttered on.......it's the Canadian hockey fan that keeps the league going and competitive Canadian teams are good for the league.

At least for now Canadian teams will be profitable whether they suck or not. I dont think anyone in the NHL head office is too worried about it at this point.

If I were a betting man, I would place a lot of money on Montreal not winning the cup this year.

I'm tired of all this "Bettman wants Canadian teams to fail so the US market can grow". Bettman, like everyone else, knows which side his bread is buttered on.......it's the Canadian hockey fan that keeps the league going and competitive Canadian teams are good for the league.

I do believe, though, that he also knows Canadian fans aren't going anywhere for the most part...we're diehards and in this for the long haul. It's different here and he may not worry about it at all. Sure, if things start to decline, he'd hone in on that. But it would be over time and not immediate...Canadian teams have wait lists for seasons tickets and people buying seats even in the worst of times. Did you see Florida? We get more people here for an open practice (the entire lower bowl was filled with tickets being snapped up)...it's pretty secure and wouldn't unravel overnight.

If you don't believe that decisions are made and things influenced in large scale organizations with billions of dollars involved that are part of a bigger picture, then welcome to the world. Do I think there's an itinerary and step by step process? No. But I definitely think things are swayed/pushed in certain directions as much as possible that is part of an overall focus. That it's not just based on how the chips fall out there on the ice in a random fashion...that certain teams will get help as necessary/possible and others face obstacles to get there. Scheduling. Penalties and suspensions. Things that can be slid in under another heading.

As others have said, Canadian fans are always there. Also factor in that Bettman's job is to expand the league's influence and it's profit margin EVERYWHERE. There happens to be more teams south of the border and a lot of money which, coincidentally, is not going towards hockey right now. So there's more potential.

I sincerely think that Bettman does not care about the state of the game (i.e. quality, happiness of fans etc) unless its directly linked with the financial well-being of the league. Fans might *want* a team somewhere in Canada and even be willing to support it, but he knows that majority of a team's revenue potential is from TV deals with American networks (ESPN, FOX, NBC etc) and not Canadian ones. So on the whole, a team down south that has airtime on cable but no fans is more valuable than making the fans happy in a less financially viable place up north.

It is a business and it just so happens that the incentive monetarily is not to keep us (Canadian fans) happy.

Yes it's exactly what the NHL wants.

But when those Canadian teams have empty arenas, the NHL will panic. (Or move those teams south. Whatever.)

The blatant disregard for Canuck player safety in terms of players being suspended for injuring/taking head shots at Canucks is nothing more than proof that there IS a conspiracy against Canadian teams.

The NHL is not the reason Edmonton sucks, nor the reason Calgary can't get it together, and certainly not the reason Vancouver has been slipping for years and has now fallen on its face. Officiating and inconsistent and unfair discipline is on the NHL, but how the teams actually play is on no one but those teams.

As others have said, Canadian fans are always there. Also factor in that Bettman's job is to expand the league's influence and it's profit margin EVERYWHERE. There happens to be more teams south of the border and a lot of money which, coincidentally, is not going towards hockey right now. So there's more potential.

I sincerely think that Bettman does not care about the state of the game (i.e. quality, happiness of fans etc) unless its directly linked with the financial well-being of the league. Fans might *want* a team somewhere in Canada and even be willing to support it, but he knows that majority of a team's revenue potential is from TV deals with American networks (ESPN, FOX, NBC etc) and not Canadian ones. So on the whole, a team down south that has airtime on cable but no fans is more valuable than making the fans happy in a less financially viable place up north.

It is a business and it just so happens that the incentive monetarily is not to keep us (Canadian fans) happy.

This is a great post!

The NHL is not the reason Edmonton sucks, nor the reason Calgary can't get it together, and certainly not the reason Vancouver has been slipping for years and has now fallen on its face. Officiating and inconsistent and unfair discipline is on the NHL, but how the teams actually play is on no one but those teams.

I disagree, the NHL and Refs have had significant impact on a a lot of Stanley Cup winners. LA couldn't have done it with out the refs, Boston, 2009 Black Hawks...etc...

It's hard to get momentum going when you're always on the PK.

Archived