The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal: Kesler for Johansen

Simply put, lets send Ryan Kesler to Columbus for Ryan Johansen.

Player: Ryan Johansen
Born: July 31st, 1992; Age 21
Hometown: Vancouver, BC
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 203 lbs
Position: C / RW
Shoots: Right

for

Player: Ryan Kesler
Born: August 31st, 1984; Age 29

Hometown: Livonia, MI
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 202 lbs
Shots: Right

I look at this trade in such a fashion of looking at where we are now versus where Columbus is now.

In Columbus, their team is just about there, it's on the cusp of being a yearly playoff team, but they need an extra push. Although Johansen has been fantastic for them this year, if they could land a veteran but young guy like Kesler, I think they could take the hit. Kesler in Columbus would be able to get back to hockey, and have a real fresh start, plus he'd be closer to home, and his salary works well for Columbus. Throw in the fact that they play a Kesler style of game, Columbus landing Kesler makes sense on so many levels.

In Vancouver, you have a team that is obviously in a downswing. This team is not getting better, and we all know it, so the time is now to start fresh. Now starting fresh doesn't mean blow it up and have a bunch of rookies, it means do the right moves to get the team going in the right direction. Johansen is enjoying a break through year, and it may be a fluke (I doubt it). He's the type of kid we need here to make the rebuild - retool go smoothly. Having him in here and gradually making his way up the ranks would be great! It makes sense business wise as well, fans love to cheer on hometown kids, especially talented ones.

Anyways, all in all, I beleive Ryan Johansen is the perfect player for this team. I think the Canucks should acquire him at all cost ( a sane deal would be nice )

He's the type of player we want to rebuild around, and whether you agree with me or not, I think the GMMG should pursue him hard. I'd probably deal Kesler + for him.

Agree or disagree?

This has got to be the 1000th proposal I've seen on a trade involving Johansen and Kesler.

I doubt that any smart GM would trade a 21 year old, 6'3, 203 pound, 20+ goalscorer on the rise, especially for a 29 year old Kesler who wouldn't even accept an offer there in the first place (ehh..emm~~ did someone say RJ Umberger?). Johansen has so much more potential (already has more points than Kesler) and their most promising young forward.... why in the world would they even consider this?

I love Johansen. But why in the world would they trade a younger player who has more points than Kesler already. If the columbus gm wants to get fired yeah maybe then he'll do it.

Its not all about goals and points, Kesler IMO would bring an element to the game that Johansen has not developped yet.

With that said though, you're right, statistically speaking, not a chance Columbus does it.

This has been brought up before,

Please understand this: There is NO WAY Columbus would be interested in that deal.

They finally have a homegrown talent for fans to rally around. Trading him would be a slap in the face to their fan base, which is just now starting to come back.

Dealing Johansen would be box office suicide for the Jackets and it's not going to happen.

Simply put, lets send Ryan Kesler to Columbus for Ryan Johansen.

Player: Ryan Johansen

Born: July 31st, 1992; Age 21

Hometown: Vancouver, BC

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 203 lbs

Shoots: Right

for

Player: Ryan Kesler

Born: August 31st, 1984; Age 29

Hometown: Livonia, MI

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 202 lbs

Shots: Right

I look at this trade in such a fashion of looking at where we are now versus where Columbus is now.

In Columbus, their team is just about there, it's on the cusp of being a yearly playoff team, but they need an extra push. Although Johansen has been fantastic for them this year, if they could land a veteran but young guy like Kesler, I think they could take the hit. Kesler in Columbus would be able to get back to hockey, and have a real fresh start, plus he'd be closer to home, and his salary works well for Columbus. Throw in the fact that they play a Kesler style of game, Columbus landing Kesler makes sense on so many levels.

In Vancouver, you have a team that is obviously in a downswing. This team is not getting better, and we all know it, so the time is now to start fresh. Now starting fresh doesn't mean blow it up and have a bunch of rookies, it means do the right moves to get the team going in the right direction. Johansen is enjoying a break through year, and it may be a fluke (I doubt it). He's the type of kid we need here to make the rebuild - retool go smoothly. Having him in here and gradually making his way up the ranks would be great! It makes sense business wise as well, fans love to cheer on hometown kids, especially talented ones.

Anyways, all in all, I beleive Ryan Johansen is the perfect player for this team. I think the Canucks should acquire him at all cost ( a sane deal would be nice )

He's the type of player we want to rebuild around, and whether you agree with me or not, I think the GMMG should pursue him hard. I'd probably deal Kesler + for him.

Agree or disagree?

Dude, what u smokin? this has been tossed about to infinity, NEVER GONNA HAPPEN, Kesler not enough, Columbus likens RJ like the Penns like #87

Johansen> Kesler

Johansen: 29G 25A 54P 21YO Drafted 4th OVR

Kesler: 23G 18A 41P 29YO Drafted 23rd OVR

Hell, go on nhl.com right now, on pens vs jackets, they're saying that Johansen "has come into his own"

Johansen is a lot better than Kesler already, and he's only going to get better.

Archived