The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OHL Playoff Scoring Leaders

Well OHL playoffs are underway with the first round almost completed so I decided to check out the top scorers from this round. Boy was i shocked and excited to see we own 4 of the top 8 scorers.

1 Dane Fox Erie Otters 5 6 6 12 6 2

Michael Dal Colle Oshawa Generals 4 5 5 10 0 3

Hunter Smith Oshawa Generals 4 2 8 10 11 4

Chris Tierney London Knights 4 3 6 9 0 5

Cole Cassels Oshawa Generals 4 2 7 9 6 6

Josh Sterk Oshawa Generals 4 5 3 8 6 7

Bo Horvat London Knights 4 4 4 8 2 8

Brendan Gaunce Erie Otters 5 4 4 8 6

I'd just like to remind you that Gillis is terrible and should definately be replaced because he doesnt know how to draft.

Well OHL playoffs are underway with the first round almost completed so I decided to check out the top scorers from this round. Boy was i shocked and excited to see we own 4 of the top 8 scorers.

I'd just like to remind you that Gillis is terrible and should definately be replaced because he doesnt know how to draft.

Last years draft was good, but Gillis' problem is that he doesn't manage assets very well

Did you really 'decide to check' or did you read all the posts here yesterday saying we had four out of the top eight in scoring.

we all wanted more of the schneider trade and yes we wanted more of a sure thing for the hodgson trade.

If you packaged schneider and Coho imagine what we could have had...

Getting young guys that are not ready to make an impact immediatyely is what hurt us, we traded Luongo, schneider, coho and let erhoff walk (essentially) while keeping ballard who later bought out - this was the definition of poor asset management becuase the guys we did aquire are not ready and instead of having a smooth transition out of the sedin era into a new era, we are going to go through a rebuild not a retool

Gillis did very well with his draft last year and I like hunter a lot and we can only pray subban grows

This is the more intriguing points race honestly. Even if it is the higher scoring OHL teams still clamp down defensively. It will be very interesting to see how our group does and what they can accomplish.

If they can score in the playoffs like basically all of them have in the regular season I have more hope for them translating into better overall players once they break in to the AHL and NHL respectively.

Guest Gumballthechewy

Ok so is Fox just having a fluke season? Cause with the numbers he produced, it's Stamkos like. I don't wan to get my hopes up though

He's an overager, they tend to have seasons like this, it's not like he's sixteen and putting up these kind of numbers.

Ok so is Fox just having a fluke season? Cause with the numbers he produced, it's Stamkos like. I don't wan to get my hopes up though

He's been an at or around PPG player since his 18th birthday with solid PIMS. I think he's a solid winger in his own right and will translate into at least a career AHLer at worst.

At best he's a bona fide top 6 scoring threat in the NHL.

Not bad for a free pick.

Edit** He was picked in the 2nd round and went to 2 NHL training camps if I recall correctly but got injured both times and was "washed out"

Don't get your hopes up. PITB has done a study researching OHL overage late boomers scaring leaders in the past. Most of them don't end up becoming NHL regulars:

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2014/03/13/what-are-realistic-expectations-for-dane-fox/

Though this Dane Fox also has size and agitation in his skill set which can make him for valuable in pro.

Edit** He was picked in the 2nd round and went to 2 NHL training camps if I recall correctly but got injured both times and was "washed out"

He went undrafted.

Don't get your hopes up. PITB has done a study researching OHL overage late boomers scaring leaders in the past. Most of them don't end up becoming NHL regulars:

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2014/03/13/what-are-realistic-expectations-for-dane-fox/

Though this Dane Fox also has size and agitation in his skill set which can make him for valuable in pro.

He went undrafted.

Don't put much stock in PITB's analysis of....anything, really. Harrison and Andrew are funny writers but are two of the most pessimistic voices covering the Canucks. Their analysis was basically just 2 lists and some questionable conclusions drawn from the comparison between those lists.

Dane Fox has had a particularly interesting path to undrafted status, which makes a huge difference in how he should be viewed. While other players who go undrafted do so because of issues often relating to size, Fox is 6 foot. He is the tallest undrafted overager who became a 60 goal scorer. That alone is huge.

Then there is the matter of how he produces: his shot and ability to find space on the ice. His shot is good, but I suspect he actually has a rare combination of spatial awareness and hand-eye that few players even at the NHL level have. He just seems to be able to find space, pick a spot and put the puck right where it needs to go, even in hectic game situations. You see it in little things, like how he takes a shot and then when there's a rebound, it's on his stick and he's ready to shoot again. Or how he's rarely looking at where he wants to shoot. He just notes the spot, eye on the puck, and its on target. Those skills are never going to have trouble translating from one level of hockey to the next.

Most importantly, is how he got passed up. It's been mentioned by LG and others within the Canucks organization but Dale Hunter buried him on lower lines and with poor deployment. The two seemed to be at odds resulting in Fox's trade to the Otters. Fox also had injury trouble in his draft year which made him a big question mark. Then the kid comes back with a chip on his shoulder and he takes over the OHL.

Who would have thought Cassels would have more points than Horvat after the first round.

I remember mid-season the Team 1040 was interviewing Stan Smyl. They asked him about Canuck prospects, and if he thought there was a player that you wouldn't expect being a real surprise? He immediately said Cassels. He said he has all the tools to succeed in the NHL, and every time the team checks up on him they are so impressed by him, and his progress. So I think we found a sleeper pick that could be a real impact player. Just shows if you do your homework on scouting, what gems you can find.

Now if we can just start scouting the WHL and BCHL..... ;)

The draft is not a crapshoot like people think. The tough part is you are looking at 18 year kids, and trying to project where they are going to be in 7 years. If players were drafted at age 21 I bet it would be a lot easier to see who will make it, and who won't.

we all wanted more of the schneider trade and yes we wanted more of a sure thing for the hodgson trade.

If you packaged schneider and Coho imagine what we could have had...

Getting young guys that are not ready to make an impact immediatyely is what hurt us, we traded Luongo, schneider, coho and let erhoff walk (essentially) while keeping ballard who later bought out - this was the definition of poor asset management becuase the guys we did aquire are not ready and instead of having a smooth transition out of the sedin era into a new era, we are going to go through a rebuild not a retool

Gillis did very well with his draft last year and I like hunter a lot and we can only pray subban grows

Its been what 1.5 years?

And anyone looking at Kassian vs Hodgson can easily argue we have a better player now

Hodgson has ten or so more points but is minus 24

He gets first line ice and first pp time

Kassian has ten less points with no pp time and from the 3rd line (alot less ice time)

Can skate MUCH better

Has size

Just as good hands

Is now finally understanding how to use his size to create opportunities

And has developed defensively only a -5

He is a year younger

Has a better attitude/willing to learn (something Cody couldnt accept - ie not willing to play 3rd line)

Has developed positionally and defensively

Umm and no me first attitude

We won that trade dude, I'm not a big gillis fan either but he looks pretty good right now on that deal and perhaps we fans are being a bit impatient on his moves....even the Schnieder/Horvat trade - 3 years down the road if Lack continues to show he is real, and Horvat becomes what he is capable of...hmm

Lou same thing, we got a young goalie, a distraction gone, cap space and Matthias who is looking like a very SOLID player, the type you need on the third line to win cups, size, hands, speed, effort...may never be a second line guy but even that trade looks pretty good considering, was simply the timing.

One thing people fail to consider here...

Perhaps Gillis understands this team was not going anywhere but can't admit it publicly for obvious reasons. Is trading a player or two for vets in the hopes that they will put you over the top (when inside you know this team needs a shakeup worth it? or is it better to build the pipleline for the next attempt in 4-6 years?)

I think many people are underestimating Gillis and his understanding of the position this team is in...I think his actions show he gets this team is no longer a contender and is trying his best to get young players who are close enough to come in and learn from some of this still competitive core vs try and ride these horses with more older horses and then just collapse..

He's managing transition folks, and I am starting to notice he may not be doing such a poor job of doing it

Archived