The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do we have a back up goalie?

vcrguy

Markstrom has some of the same deficiencies in his game that Schneider had. The main one was letting pucks go "through" him. Rolie fixed the holes in Schneids game and he can do the same for Markstrom. Writing Markstrom off is ridiculous. He could turn into a top tier goalie.

That's not a particularly fair statement. The seeds were planted by AV. Mike Gillis botched the whole thing by over-welcoming AV's stay, then proceeded to further botch it by letting the whole drama unfold last year unfettered. Any lesser man would've quit on the team with that kind of treatment by the coaching staff and the lack of support of management. In terms of the whole starter vs. backup situation, JT is only working with what he was dealt, which was a mostly-decomposed goalie relations situation leading up to the trade deadline.

Roberto going back to Florida was kind of an inevitable situation for as long as his wife was in Florida, Mike Gillis was in Vancouver, and no win-win solution to reconcile the two.

That's a commonly repeated untruth. Even the media "reports" it so I can see why people believe it, but it's not true.

I think it started during one of her pregnancies when she stayed in Florida with her parents because I believe she was on bed rest and needed someone around to help her, which he obviously couldn't be. Much ado was made about it and people just keep assuming from that point on that she didn't live here, but in truth she and their kids did live in Vancouver with Luo.

When he was traded, the Canucks mentioned charity he and his wife had done while here and in his phone interview on Trade Center it was mentioned how ironic it was that Luo was traded to where he lives in the off season and was able to literally go home to his own house but it was empty because his wife and kids were in Vancouver.

Luo loved playing here and wanted to be here. It was only after the Canucks said they didn't want him anymore that he wanted a trade. Then they said they wanted him again and he committed. He was shocked at being traded at all (since they had apparently told him he was untradeable), but especially during the season. I think you're right, the situation had deteriorated and was never fully repaired and any repairs that had been made Torts undid without a second thought to the long-term implications. It was probably for the best that Luongo was traded, but because the team wasn't committed to him, not because he wasn't committed to being here.

Call me whatever you want, but my opinion doesn't change what Tortorella is doing to our goalie situation.

A year ago and a bit ago we had Schneider, Luo and Lack (in the system)........

This year we had Luo and Lack.

After the trade deadline we had Lack, and someone we don't dare put between the pipes.

Yes, because the coach makes trades... :lol:

I've been reading this forum for many years. I'm shocked by some of your comments. I do enjoy those of you who not only have knowledge of the game and players, but I especially appreciate those of you who do the RESEARCH and dig into the past history.

Point at hand. Lack used to be the backup to Markstrom when they played together. The are good friends. You all know Markstrom was the best goalie outside the NHL for years. That's the reason Florida did not want to trade for Luongo, as they felt that Markstrom would be their future goalie.

Markstrom will probably be the next version of Ben Bishop, who, by the way, was given very little chance in St. Louis. He went to Ottawa for a short stint, and now, with Tampa Bay he's considered one of the top goalies in the league, Check the statistics.

Finally, Yzerman saw something in Bishop that St. Louis missed. They (St. Louis) traded for Montreal's goalie, and now Halak is gone and they end up with Miller. That's a lot of players they traded for these two goalies. Do you want Vancouver to make the same mistake. Some of you suggested we should go for Halak. As you all know, Montreal received Flak for keeping Prince over Halak. Now St. Louis has let Halak go???

Ya gotta do some research, my friends!

Do you honestly think any of the top UFA goalies available are going to want to come anywhere near Vancouver after what has gone on the last 2-3 seasons...?!?!

Go have a look who's available...Miller, Hiller or Halak will tell their agents to not even bother picking up when Gillis calls...that leaves the likes of Dubnyk, Elliot, Bryzgalov, Emery, Gustavsson or one of the over 36 crowd that includes Brodeur, Thomas and Nabokov.

I see Miller signing in Anaheim if they don't resign Hiller and if he doesn't re-sign with the Ducks I see a team like NYI or even the Jets offering Hiller big $$/term. Halak I see as a fit in Wash. so they'll likely try and re-sign him.

So out of that 2nd tier who would you have the Canucks bring in..?

Roland Melanson, is exactly why a guy like Halak would want to come here

Do you honestly think any of the top UFA goalies available are going to want to come anywhere near Vancouver after what has gone on the last 2-3 seasons...?!?!

Go have a look who's available...Miller, Hiller or Halak will tell their agents to not even bother picking up when Gillis calls...that leaves the likes of Dubnyk, Elliot, Bryzgalov, Emery, Gustavsson or one of the over 36 crowd that includes Brodeur, Thomas and Nabokov.

I see Miller signing in Anaheim if they don't resign Hiller and if he doesn't re-sign with the Ducks I see a team like NYI or even the Jets offering Hiller big $$/term. Halak I see as a fit in Wash. so they'll likely try and re-sign him.

So out of that 2nd tier who would you have the Canucks bring in..?

Your authority to make these kind of statements is not recognized here - the pretentious aspect is entertaining though.

illuminati has just told us what all the UFA goaltenders think, what they'll instruct their agents to do, and where they will be going. Very illuminating.

A lot of people complain about the old cam Neely trade but the little patience some of you have shown, you would have made that trade as well.

This is Lack's rookie season and he's been very good under very difficult circumstances.

Yea :/ Losing Lu was a huge blow to this team... Lack was never the better goalie despite what CDC thought.

I cant recall anyone on CDC saying Lack was better than Lu. I don't believe we see any better goaltender in Van than Lou for quite some time.

Archived