The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BLAST FROM THE PAST: Steamer

-DLC-

WARNING: This is obviously a long read so please don't simply post TLDR. If you don't care to read it, it doesn't warrant telling us so.

As some of you are likely aware, there is a social media trend to post pictures from the past as part of a “throwback” theme. With that, I’ve been doing some spring cleaning and came across an old magazine that I’d saved for the article posted below. Personally, I can’t get enough of the old hockey stories/articles…this is our history and I was glad to see I had, in fact, stashed this one away. Younger fans will develop their own history based on where we are today, but this offers some insight into how it was decades ago. And maybe we can do our own "throwback" stuff in the form of articles/pictures, etc. from the past? Feel free to add yous, I'd love to see them.

As a huge “Steamer” fan over the years, I thought I’d share this particular article with you. As he’s still connected to the team, this speaks to his dedication and loyalty over the years as, early on, he'd expressed his desire to stay here (despite likely having opportunity to head home to Alberta). People are quick to dismiss that attitude in today’s game, but sticking with a team, win or lose, says something. That commitment can't be denied - it's something special.

And, with the current discussion swirling around in regard to tanking/drafting high, there is even reference to the fact that he went lower than expected...ties into some of that.

I will comment a bit on the article later (especially in relation TO that commitment and how overall lifestyle seemingly has changed for players since these earlier days) but, for now, please enjoy this read. Doesn’t share a whole lot of actual hockey related commentary, however, it does give a glimpse of who Steamer is.

As well, as a big Punch McLean fan who’s had the great honour of meeting and having casual conversation with him (thanks GP), it’s extra nice to see reference made to him as well. These are hockey icons and it’s important to remember the roots in seeing how this game has developed into one of the best. Anyhow, I enjoyed the article and hope you do too.

THE RIGHT STUFF by Stewart Duncan (Easy Living, Oct. 28-Nov. 24, 1987 Vol. lX Issue XI)

White towels waved in mock surrender. “Sha-na-na-na, goodbye” rang through Pacific Coliseum and excitement swelled as the Vancouver Canucks defied the odds. It was 1982, and Canucks captain Stan “Steamboat” Smyl was riding high on the hiss of steel over ice and the adrenaline rush of being inches away from a Stanley Cup.

Professional hockey has its place in Smyl’s life and so did blistered hands and aching muscles last summer when he landscaped his yard in West Vancouver. Even hockey players hurt when they wheelbarrow 10 dumptruck loads of soil up, down and around a yard cut from the side of a mountain. Once Smyl had finished that, he wheeled in enough asphalt for a sports court. Smyl likes to work hard. But on this day he’s soaking in the sunshine at a café in downtown Vancouver. His teeshirt and tan suggest the life of Reilly, but his facial scars and well-muscled arms say otherwise. Smyl smiles a lot, even while mutilating a styrofoam coffee cup. Then he clasps his hands behind his head and settles in for a relaxed conversation.

Smyl has a gentle, kind smile beneath that twisted proboscis. The smile says, “Nice guy lives here.” The nose makes you wonder. It was broken the first time when Smyl was 14, playing hockey the Canadian way- he got punched. Now he’s 29 and the nose has been broken six or seven times since. But Smyl, never, ever, one to complain, just packs on the ice to lower the swelling and gets back in the game. “You’re always icing some part of your body,” he says matter-of-factly. “You know you’re doing your job then.”

Maybe that’s why he didn’t mind the blisters and aches of landscaping, a job he shared with his wife Jenniffer, 27, who moved her share of soil and designed the yard’s layout. He and Jenniffer met at a Christmas party in 1977 and the friendship took off like a slap shot. Jenniffer knew nothing about hockey then, but by 1980 ice meant diamond, rink meant ring and hockey meant the summer was free for a European honeymoon.

The couple backpacked through Europe, and for Stan that meant taking a new approach to travelling. According to Jenniffer, he likes to have everything neatly laid out like an itinerary for a hockey road trip – but he quickly learned how to adapt. She laughs as she recalls the crowds in a train station in Rome. There was no way all the people would be able to get seats on the incoming train, and to make matters worse, Stan had disappeared. Tension mounted as the train approached the station, and still no Stan. Jenniffer still hadn’t found him as the train pulled in – because he had run out to meet it, leaping aboard before it arrived. He rolled into the station clinging to the outside of one of the cars, hollering Jenniffer’s name above the noise of the crowd. Stan was first aboard and first to get seats.

Five years later, in the fall of 1985, the Smyls realized a new level of adapting to life without an itinerary was imminent. Jenniffer was busy with courses at Simon Fraser University so Stan made a phone call to the family doctor to get the results of Jenniffer’s pregnancy test. Was she or wasn’t she? She was. Stan took the mother-to-be out for a walk, then stopped, turned to her and quietly announced, “Guess what? You’re pregnant.” So much for Jenniffer’s planned announcement over a romantic dinner.

The baby is now 16 months old. Talking about her brings a paternal twinkle to Smyl’s eye and stretches the smile on that friendly face. Hockey’s great, but fatherhood has really shot up in the league standings. “It’s amazing how quick they grow,” he muses. “But they’re really neat. They give you a different outlook on things, and you get wrapped up in things you never thought you would.” Being a parent may have been new to Smyl, but he’s never been a stranger to youngsters. Each year, usually in August, he teaches them how to play hockey at Kensington Arena in Burnaby, and he enjoys it immensely.

Smyl grew up slapping at pucks in St. Paul, a small town in northeastern Alberta. By the time he was five or six years old he had decided that he wanted to play in the NHL. His reputation as a goal scorer opened doors for him when he was 14, and he quit school and left home to play for the junior league New Westminster Bruins.

Bruins coach Ernie “Punch” McLean worked with Smyl in the important formative years and reshaped Smyl’s style of hockey to be more physical and aggressive. When the Bruins competed for the Memorial Cup four times, winning it twice, Smyl was team captain. His leadership abilities, talent and drive made him an above-average players, and Punch McLean believed he was NHL material. McLean acted as a scout for the Detroit Red Wings and told them several times to draft Smyl. But it was the Canucks who finally picked him up as a third-round choice in 1978. Smyl admits that at the time he’d thought he would have been selected sooner. He probably should have been.

When Smyl filled in as captain in early 1982 for injured Kevin McCarthy, he led the Canucks to their surprise victory against the Islanders. Few had expected the team to do so well, and some of its success was attributed to Smyl’s leadership. He retained the role of captain while McCarthy, unhappy with the change, was given the chance to find happiness in Pittsburgh.

Over the last five years the Canucks have traded away players like Harold Snepts and Dave Williams, but Stan “Can Do” Smyl has become a cornerstone of the team. Only in his rookie year did he score less than 20 goals in a season, and he’s had four seasons of scoring more than 30. But when people talk about Smyl, the operative word seems to be “smarts.” Darcy Rota, a Canuck for five years and now a team director, describes Smyl as a smart defensive player who’s very good on power plays. “He’s a tremendous competitor…he handles the puck well and passes very well. He’s a difficult player to play against.”

He’s also one of the most durable players in the NHL. Smyl originally figured that 10 years of pro hockey would be pushing it. Considering that the average career is only four years, he’s right. “But I keep myself in pretty good shape all summer,” he says. “The way I feel right now, hockey doesn’t seem to get harder. I’ve got 10 more years.” Whether or not those years will be spent with the Canucks is anyone’s guess. He’s got four years remaining on a five-year contract, but its no secret that Glen Sather wants him for the Edmonton Oilers. And in the world of hockey, trades are a fact of life.

It’s been put to Smyl more than once that a move to Edmonton would mean more money, prestige and a better shot at the Stanley Cup. But while those people are quick to point out the fringe benefits of playing for the Oilers, Smyl is as quick to point out that he doesn’t’ care about those benefits. “I’m still a Canuck and I want to do it for the organization,” he says. “I think the club and the fans deserve it as much as I do. I want to win here.” And with Pat Quinn as new general manager, he’s more optimistic than ever that the Canucks have another shot at the Cup.

Smyl, Darcy Rota and Thomas Gradin had their best seasons when they played together on the line in 1982-83. Gradin later left the team and is now coaching in Sweden. Smyl misses him. “Thomas is a great hockey player,” he says. “We gelled together and had a lot of good times. You can’t get really close to a player in pro. Never get close. You get to be friends but…” Smyl’s voice trails off and he looks away thoughtfully. Then, in a move one learns is characteristic of him, he redirects this thoughts to the positive. “You can’t get upset about it. It affects your play.”

Smyl, with his “we can make it happen” attitude on the ice and his penchant for working at it so hard, has become a favourite with the fans. On the street they call out to him with a wave and a smile – and he waves and smiles back. “The fans have been great to me,” he acknowledges. “on and off the ice, they’re great.”

Smyl’s a people person. He plays golf just for the conversation and likes entertaining at home. He may be modest, but has no hesitation about calling himself a good cook who makes great chicken dishes. “I relax when I cook,” he says. “I like chopping things up. It’s that big knife!” During the off season, he helps out with the Canuck Foundation, a charitable organization started two years ago by the Canuck wives which has raised well over $70,000 for needy causes. Jenniffer is its director. “We’re both so lucky to have our health and our daughter, so we like to help out,” Smyl explains. And he’s not one to forget the family back in St. Paul. He and Jenniffer get back each summer to pack in some of his mother’s perogies – one of Stan’s weaknesses, Jenniffer confides. Smyl admits that he always eats too many and has to exercise that much harder to pay for the over-indulgence. But, he add, it’s worth it.

Smyl isn’t a man of regrets. Although he sometimes wishes had had finished high school, he also knows he may have regretted losing some good years of his pro hockey career had he postponed it. Finishing school is part of the plan for the future, and he enjoyed a broadcasting course he took recently so much that he may even consider a career in that field down the road.
But for now he has his work cut out for him. With the recent aggressive changes in management, the Vancouver Canucks are possibly beginning their best-planned assault for the Stanley Cup since joining the NHL in 1971. The Steamer plans to be there, giving the fans something to “Sha-na-na-na” about.

10155707_10152332662360549_1882369457_n.

1504300_10152332663730549_1336452830_o.j

1233002_10152332665420549_1677925214_o.j

859413_10152332665895549_1471795467_o.jp

No player until Smyl had a will to win like he did. My image of Stan will always be that break down the right side, he buries his head, and lets go a slapper that finds the net. My all time might be Boudrias #7 but Smyl and later Linden were heart and soul guys. They played a 200' game which is everything in hockey. My negative comment is that I never felt that way about Naslund. He was a great offensive force but never had the d-game that those above did.

Guest Gumballthechewy

I never saw him play but my uncle speaks very highly of him. Calls him the Linden of his generation. :P I wish I got to see him play!

I'll never forget that breakaway in game 7 against the president trophy winning Lames in 89, my girlfriends father and I literally ran at the television as the play developed and that snake Vernon made the glove save, ruining our chance of a major playoff upset. Then I had to watch CBC replay it during their intro to HNIC for the next ten years, sigh..... Steamer wasn't a flashy player but he put it all out there every night, was / is a classy guy on and off the ice and I'm glad he's still a part of the organization.

He could have bolted in the mid 80's to try to win a cup in Edmonton but wouldn't have any part in it as he was a Canuck through and through.

Thanks for contributing guys.

Felt like it was time to have a place for people who have been on board through thick and thin to reflect and perhaps share stories and memories. It isn't always easy or pretty but, just as Steamer did, you sign on and hope that you will be around to see it happen.

It's important to remember where you came from in trying to get where you're going to.

steamer is my favorite all time player.....i once said, give me a team full of stan smyl's , and

i'll give you a stanely cup.....the heart and soul of the team.....if steamer couldn't go around the opposition,

he'ld go through them....score, playmake, fight and finish his checks....

kurtenback and reinhart were special too.

'82 was a heck of an year. Still remember that the whole class in Grade 6 (in my school) were so bummed when the Islanders steamrolled us. Steamer is the mold that our team should be instilling in our players. Him and Linden (from 94). They had heart and soul and didn't roll over when it got tough.

A special memory of mine is a game where Stan, and I think Curt Fraser, lined up as wingers with Thomas Gradin for a faceoff. The opposing team attempted to intimidate our new Swedish centre. Smyl and Fraser both dropped the gloves and proceeded to stand up for their team mate. We have been to the dance 3 times and with players like the Steamer we will be back again to close the deal.

2 of my friends and I got a chance to meet Stan in October along with Canuck scout John Bates and Kings scout Mark Mullen. It was after the Liberty Invitational Tourney (Dartmouth,Yale,Brown,Princeton) in NJ. We saw Stan and John at the game but when we went to talk to them after the 1st period they had moved. So we go out afterwards and walk into the bar where the 3 of them were sitting. We sit down next to them and we introduce ourselves. Stan is amazed a guy from Connecticut knows who he is and is a Canuck fan to boot. He introduces us to John and Mike and they bring us into their conversation and we end up drinking and talking hockey topics for several hours. Topics range from (Cup Finals loss,Horvat,Jensen,Kesler, Schneider trade,Torts/AV,fighting in hockey and Bures # retirement)

Biggest Hockey compliment I received in my life was when Stan looked at me and wanted me to weigh in as they had been debating Bure's # retirement before we arrived. When I finished my answer Stan looked at John and said "There is a guy that knows his hockey and knows what he's talking about!" As the bar/restaurant was closing and it was time to leave Stan insisted we get a photo together. Then he hands me his card and says if you ever come to Van and if you need anything you give me a call. John hands me his card and lets me know if I'm going to be at the games in NY or Boston etc to let him know.

Best part of it all was how these guys talked to us and asked our opinions on serious hockey topics. Stan is one of the most modest and down to earth people you could ever hope to meet. The guy is a total class act. As a 34 year old guy who's married with kids I've never thought I'd have been so happy to be leaving the bar with a 55 year old man's telephone number.

Haha, love that last line. What a great story....thanks so much for sharing.

This is the kind of stuff that really helps us remember these aren't machines out there on the ice....these are regular guys. And everything I've read, heard or known of Stan has been 100% positive. Really loved that story, EastCC. So glad you got that opportunity...memories are made in stories like that.

Stan was my hero growing up. I remember him hammering Ron Duguay in that Chicago series. And was a master of the give and go, and wham in the net.

I wish we had some rocks like him on this team. Maybe Horvat will be that I hope.

Archived