The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So I've Re-Watched Our 09-11 SC Playoff Runs...

Pyrene

More precisely, the highlights.

In case anyone has forgotten, they were:

• VAN vs LA 6 GAMES
  • VAN vs CHI 6 GAMES
  • VAN vs CHI 7 GAMES
  • VAN vs NSH 6 GAMES
  • VAN vs SJ 5 GAMES
  • VAN vs BOS 7 GAMES

What stood out, and is impossible not to notice?

#1 Ehrhoff

-Say what you want about his end zone play, but when he was in the opposition zone, his dead-accurate shot was absolute terror for the opposition goalie to handle. In addition, so many goals and opportunity were created as result of him bringing the puck up the ice.

Needless to say, we just don't have that same pressure from our D-corps right now. I'd like to see Garrison hit thte net, PERIOD. This is possibly due to personnel and coaching system (D joining in on the offence). Clearly, I'd much rather take him at 5M than Ballard at 4, or even Garrison at 4.5. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

#2 Net presence

-How many goals were scored in 2011 from redirect tip ins? Players literally sacrificed themselves for that net presence (ex. Burrows getting chopped by Tiny Tim in finals). We've seen too much parameter plays from Tort's Canucks this year.

I'm getting lazy to point them, but

-Kesler OT Goal vs Preds
-Kesler 2-2 Goal Game 5 vs SJS
-HIggins 1-0 Goal Game 1 vs CHI

Again, this might be due to the fact that we lack that D ACCURATE point shot that allows for this to happen, but part of this is due to how the players are positioned due to Tort's coaching system.

#3 Ice Time

-I'm sure this is well publicized, but in Game 3 vs CHI, Kesler had 18:31 minutes of icetime in a very close 3-2 victory over the Hawks.

-H.Sedin and D.Sedin had 18:34 and 17:39 icetime respectively. our top players weren't ragged into ruins with icetime.

You could argue that our team was the deepest it had ever been in history, and that allowed for the icetime to be that way, but even in our 4 game sweep against SJS, The Sedins averaged about 20 minutes worth of icetime (despite a 25minute game from them in game 4). <- I know I got sidetracked here, but I'm personally infuriated with how the Sedins were handled by Torts.

What I've also noticed: Our forward crops aren't that far off. As lame and pathetic as it sounds, Torts and MG do have a legitimate reason to blame injuries. Injuries, though they say it takes a certain allotted amount of time to heal, take longer for the athlete to return to 100% (ex. Kesler).

What we are really missing are PP QBs and offensive Dmen.

With the emergence of Tanev, the rumor of Garrison being a buyout candidate may not be that far-fetched, either.

Anyways, that's my 2cents.

Also the fact that the other teams have gotten much better makes a big difference, like we beat LA and SJ before, and now we lost to them cause they figured out how to shut down the sedins.

The sedins easily won us those series' on their own, especially the SJ one. Henrik broke a record for number of points in a single series during the SJ series I believe.

Also the fact that the other teams have gotten much better makes a big difference, like we beat LA and SJ before, and now we lost to them cause they figured out how to shut down the sedins.

The sedins easily won us those series' on their own, especially the SJ one. Henrik broke a record for number of points in the SJ series I believe.

I know I didn't make it clear in my post, but I was hoping people would make the connection. Ehrhoff made up a LOT of the Sedin's offence. WIthout that threat of a point shot, team's can purely focus on shutting down the Sedins. Before, one of the opposition forward would have to position a lot closer to the blueline to control that dman. So at a point, it became either shutting down the Sedins or shutting down Ehrhoff, When they devote their fowards towards the Sedins, Ehrhoff was left open, and vice versa.

They never really "figured out" how to shut down the Sedins, because the Sedins didn't invent the cycle. They figured out that after 2011 and 2012, the Canucks don't have an imposing point shot that they need to take care of. They're more worried that Garrison's shot is fly wide and hit someone in the face.

Ehrhoff and Salo had amazing chemistry with the sedins they alone aren't much but with the sedins they are deadly. This video proves how the chemistry they had created goals. And it also shows Ehrhoff's amazing puck moving abilities. No one can anticipate the play about to happen except Henrik and Ehrhoff.

Any normal player would just make a pass across to kesler and it would be a harmless shot but henrik made a different decision that lead to the pass to erhoff which gave him the space to come down.

Ehrhoff and the sedins were a match made in heaven.

Yeah, to bad he wanted a stupid amount of money.

At the time, I agreed. However, it seems even more stupid to have 4.2M sitting in the pressbox. Hindsight I guess.

Ehrhoff and Salo had amazing chemistry with the sedins they alone aren't much but with the sedins they are deadly. This video proves how the chemistry they had created goals. And it also shows Ehrhoff's amazing puck moving abilities. No one can anticipate the play about to happen except Henrik and Ehrhoff.

Any normal player would just make a pass across to kesler and it would be a harmless shot but henrik made a different decision that lead to the pass to erhoff which gave him the space to come down.

Exactly. If you've been watching the games this year, the D just throws the puck back at the Sedins to lose this year, or just throw some weak shot at the net and lose posession. It's like the D is playing hot-potato with the puck. No chemistry with the Sedins, and no idea, really, what to do with the puck. It's sort of sad to watch.

Personally I think the heavy focus on defensive hard checking style that has developed in the West is directly contributed to Sedinery and Kaneism for 7 years.

And now the Sedins will have to work incredibly harder to ever be what they were.

Ehrhoff would not back up the rest of the team in the scrums.

The most he would do is look around for a little guy to stand beside.

I loved his skill but you have to have each others' backs.

You don't have to win the fight; you just have to show up.

Well I'm glad we're winning the moral battles this year. As Torts says, Moral Vicories!

At the time, I agreed. However, it seems even more stupid to have 4.2M sitting in the pressbox. Hindsight I guess.

Exactly. If you've been watching the games this year, the D just throws the puck back at the Sedins to lose this year, or just throw some weak shot at the net and lose posession. It's like the D is playing hot-potato with the puck. No chemistry with the Sedins, and no idea, really, what to do with the puck. It's sort of sad to watch.

I would rather trade the sedins to buffolo and watch them there cause that kind of chemistry makes hockey so entertaining. But when it's split up it's just sad.

Good god...

That goal is F'ing sick!

Archived