The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So what coach played the worst system (recently)

vcrguy

AV played a very defensive style, but at least he liked to score goals occasionally.

Crawford was very offensive..........I liked it.......very entertaining but not very good defensively.

Torts plays a kind of style that stifles the offense and yet allows lots of goals against..................he's definitely the worse in my opinion.

Thoughts?

AV played a very defensive style, but at least he liked to score goals occasionally.

Crawford was very offensive..........I liked it.......very entertaining but not very good defensively.

Torts plays a kind of style that stifles the offense and yet allows lots of goals against..................he's definitely the worse in my opinion.

Thoughts?

AV was a great reg season but would not adjust his game plan in the playoffs when he needed to.

Lol, team does perfectly fine when healthy in December and best team in league. Freak injuries occur to our top players and we fall down at a rapid pace and can't recover due to time and games remaining.

Calm down people, this is more of a blessing in disguise. Draft a blue chip prospect with a top 10 pick (hopefully it's even higher by seasons end), players will get healthy, sign a few FA's, maybe a trade or two, and we're back to December form by next season with an added top prospect with the high pick we'll get. Calm down people, don't fall for the media misconception.

Thoughts?

I'd like to see Torts with a pen and paper drawing complex diagrams and yelling at the guys to play the right way, with clear precise instructions. If it doesn't work, I'd like to see the coach yell at the guys to get their act together and yank guys up and down the lineup, change the line combos constantly, bench guys and do whatever it takes to get them to, in his words, "play the right way". Funs over.

Torts probably has the best playoff-mentality I've seen from a coach in a while. It's just too bad that doesn't translate to wins in the regular season. He made our players play playoff-hockey all season long and it burnt out our forwards in particular. There was a string of a dozen games about a month into the season where we were playing the type of hockey that L.A played to win the cup - tenacious forecheck with turnovers that lead to our goals, while playing sublime defence and good goaltending to back it up.

Of course, forechecking is tiring and no team can keep that up for 82 games. Tortorella is an idiot for thinking so, and hopefully he adjusts his mentality in the off-season. Successful teams find ways to win during the regular season, then play their absolute best in the playoffs. We played our best in the summer (your winter) and absolutely crashed a couple of months before the end of the season. Pathetic.

Thoughts?

Yes, Torts is behind all the goals being let in, not the players

AV's defensive style?

you mean the style that got us most GF in 2011, and 4th in 2012? yeah, i'd take that style.

if you remember correctly that was mostly the players/ MGs style... AV came in played a D first system and we didnt make the playoffs the second year he was here... and MG forced him to change styles at that point AV turned into a baseball manager as in he filled out the line up card and sat back and let the players take control ......now that AV is back to playing his old system in NY guys like rick nash have their goal production cut in half...funny how nash was on paced for 42 last year under torts but only has 25 this year under AV or how quickley st louis production slipped when he went to NY...

Archived