The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CFL/BC Lions Thread

Shift-4

It’s time for the end of Wally ball. A major  shakeup is needed as the team is sucking mightily. I’ve often wondered how the Lions can ignore the importance of building a strong offensive line.

Then they let guys like Mike Reilly walk because he couldn’t function at a high level behind a crappy o-line.

Jennings on the other hand, it probably wouldn’t matter if he had decent protection. He just seems to be too inconsistent.

8 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

It’s time for the end of Wally ball. A major  shakeup is needed as the team is sucking mightily. I’ve often wondered how the Lions can ignore the importance of building a strong offensive line.

Then they let guys like Mike Reilly walk because he couldn’t function at a high level behind a crappy o-line.

Jennings on the other hand, it probably wouldn’t matter if he had decent protection. He just seems to be too inconsistent.

When your QB is 15/24 with two picks and a 4.4 yard average you are not going to win many games. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, spur1 said:

No thanks. However I would like to see the young QB we saw in the preseason given a shot. 

Ricky Lloyd is the name of the QB but he was not even on the bench last night.   When Jennings came out it was Cody Fajardo that came in.

So where is Lloyd?

1 hour ago, Tom Sestito said:

As much as the older folks think Manziel is stupid, BC place would see a bring an easy 30k with Manziel.

I'm 20 and so are my buddies. 100% I'd be there to watch him play 

15k with the team on the field currently. Brayley is going be giving this team away for a dime on the dollar. I've never seen a team so unprepared as they are this season.

1 hour ago, johngould21 said:

15k with the team on the field currently. Brayley is going be giving this team away for a dime on the dollar. I've never seen a team so unprepared as they are this season.

Where is the next Cam Wake or Stefan Logan?

Why can't the BC Lions seem to get the good young American athletes now?

Last time their Canadian talent was decent they had Brent Johnson, Jason Clermont and Ryan Thelwell along with Geroy Simon.

Arceneaux and Burnham are both #2 CFL WRs neither guy is in Duron Carter or Eric Rogers, or the guys on Edmonton like Derrel Walker or the big guy from Auburn Duke Williams level.

On d the Lions have a bunch of old vets like Anthony (don't call me Jefferson) Orange.

Also that Marcell Young guy is trash. I blame Hervey for bringing in Edmonton cast offs instead of getting some good NCAA and NFL cuts who are younger with more upside.

The OL and DL still sucks too though.

Outside of Elimimian,Rainey, and Jeremiah Johnson it's a total gong show right now.

The airlift of NFL cuts couldn't come soon enough unfortunately that will have to wait until September at the earliest to start.

Another year of Calgary and Edmonton and Winnipeg in the west and Ottawa and Toronto in the East.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Where is the next Cam Wake or Stefan Logan?

Why can't the BC Lions seem to get the good young American athletes now?

Last time their Canadian talent was decent they had Brent Johnson, Jason Clermont and Ryan Thelwell along with Geroy Simon.

Arceneaux and Burnham are both #2 CFL WRs neither guy is in Duron Carter or Eric Rogers, or the guys on Edmonton like Derrel Walker or the big guy from Auburn Duke Williams level.

On d the Lions have a bunch of old vets like Anthony (don't call me Jefferson) Orange.

Also that Marcell Young guy is trash. I blame Hervey for bringing in Edmonton cast offs instead of getting some good NCAA and NFL cuts who are younger with more upside.

The OL and DL still sucks too though.

Outside of Elimimian,Rainey, and Jeremiah Johnson it's a total gong show right now.

The airlift of NFL cuts couldn't come soon enough unfortunately that will have to wait until September at the earliest to start.

Another year of Calgary and Edmonton and Winnipeg in the west and Ottawa and Toronto in the East.

We really started going sideways and down hill whe (I forget his name) a long time recruiting guy/scout left us a few years back.  He worked finding Bono players since the Calgary days.  

• Thanks 1

The worst part of the Lions right now is that the EXACT same issues have been plaguing this team for years.  You could take a comment from a Lions loss in this thread from a few years back and it would make sense to last nights loss.

It's got to the point where I don't even care to watch the team play.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Roy Shivers or Bob O Billovich?

Shivers was the US scout for the Lions. Apparently he had a lot of connections that got him access to many players that maybe other teams wouldn't have had access to.

• Thanks 1

I have been frustrated watching Jennings play the last two years. He cannot make a decision quickly and throws in to double coverage way too much. He has great speed and legs and doesn't use them to extend the play, to give the receiver time to break away from the coverage or to make the D honest and cover him. He runs a bit but only when that is part of the called play.

They need to get him out of the pocket and let him throw on the run. He is very good at moving the pocket around.When they use him this way he is succesful

The O line is better this year and the run game has been great. We just haven't been able to take advantage of the next play when we are in second and three.

the special teams actually look pretty good. Pretty good coverage and Rainey has looked close to breaking one on a few occasions this year.

I think they need a new QB and one that can think the game the way Lulay does. Travis cant play like he used to but its his mental side that we need to transplant into someone.

• Cheers 1

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/12/aaf-will-allocate-players-by-region-to-keep-college-players-local/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

This is another blow to the CFL more alternative pro leaves popping up like the XFL to prevent any big name American college players or NFL cuts to come up North again.

Good luck getting the Manziel's and the Duron Carter's etc when they have no incentive (read financial)  to come up to Canada.

On 7/9/2018 at 3:49 PM, mikeyman109 said:

I have been frustrated watching Jennings play the last two years. He cannot make a decision quickly and throws in to double coverage way too much. He has great speed and legs and doesn't use them to extend the play, to give the receiver time to break away from the coverage or to make the D honest and cover him. He runs a bit but only when that is part of the called play.

They need to get him out of the pocket and let him throw on the run. He is very good at moving the pocket around.When they use him this way he is succesful

The O line is better this year and the run game has been great. We just haven't been able to take advantage of the next play when we are in second and three.

the special teams actually look pretty good. Pretty good coverage and Rainey has looked close to breaking one on a few occasions this year.

I think they need a new QB and one that can think the game the way Lulay does. Travis cant play like he used to but its his mental side that we need to transplant into someone.

he was much better when lulay was available to back him up

he'll play much better again once lulay can again play

lulay provides a comfort blanket to him

jennings has loads of physical skils

just lacks the mindset of an elite quarterback

lulay being around helps him with that

by being able to actually step in when jennings needs a break

to get a better sense of what is going on in a game

3 hours ago, coastal.view said:

he was much better when lulay was available to back him up

he'll play much better again once lulay can again play

lulay provides a comfort blanket to him

jennings has loads of physical skils

just lacks the mindset of an elite quarterback

lulay being around helps him with that

by being able to actually step in when jennings needs a break

to get a better sense of what is going on in a game

This is my point all along. The QB position is all about decision making. Jennings does not process the game at a speed necessary to be elite or even productive.

If he doesn't use his feet to extend the play rather than to just try to take off he is going to be a target out there and throw INT every game.

At this point we have had enough of a look to understand he may never get it. Its time to move on and find a better fit.

Perhaps a trade with Winnipeg for their big back up?