The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Renewed respect for Kevin Bieksa

hockeyville88

I'll miss him when Gillis trade Bieksa away for magic beans.

I agree with a lot of commenters, give this guy the C next season. What really surprises me, is we actually have a defenseman that everyone doesn't want a buyout or trade for. I think there is a thread on every other D-man on the team, screaming that they suck and we need to ditch them

Go Juice

Do you honestly think having a C on your chest instead of an A is some kind of magic beans? A leader is a leader regardless of which letter is on his chest. Btw, it was henrik who recommended giving Bieksa an A in the first place. That should say something about Henriks leadership.

What I find funniest about the current Bieksa love is a few short years ago most here wanted him moved for a puck, never mind magic beans. From best d-man and unsung hero to trade him for a bag of pucks to make him captain. It certainly says something about our fickle fanbase.

I dunno, since his breakout season he thinks he's Paul Coffey. I just want the old steady and nasty Bieksa back, he's been more physical than last season but still not near what he used to be and has become almost a complete liability defensively.

That's not to speak to his character, which is in my opinion as good as it gets. He brings a lot to the locker room, just somewhere along the way I feel like he's gotten away from what made him a great defender.

Definitely my favorite "D" man on the team.

I like the way he conducts himself in interviews. Brutally honest and doesn't give the stock tired old responses we get from most players.

He has also stepped up and scored at some opportune times in franchise history. Guy has heart and character, his parents should be proud of the way they raised him.

Do you honestly think having a C on your chest instead of an A is some kind of magic beans? A leader is a leader regardless of which letter is on his chest. Btw, it was henrik who recommended giving Bieksa an A in the first place. That should say something about Henriks leadership.

What I find funniest about the current Bieksa love is a few short years ago most here wanted him moved for a puck, never mind magic beans. From best d-man and unsung hero to trade him for a bag of pucks to make him captain. It certainly says something about our fickle fanbase.

And now we've moved on to Alex Edler. It wasn't that long ago that CDC was touting him as a future Norris candidate...

Bieksa's time with the Canucks has come and gone. Yes, he was ONCE a force on the ice. However, over the past two seasons he leads the team (along with Edler) on giveaways in his own end. Also, he no longer has the foot speed. I would suggest keeping him around but reducing his ice time and playing him as the 5-6 d man. Like the Sedins he is more effective when he plays fewer minutes. Something to do with age and wear and tear. Yes, I would want him on my side in a bar fight but not on the ice.

No, my fear is Gillis trades away Bieksa and we get nothing of value in return. If MG survives to the draft, he may sell off the team for prospects.

As for the "a leader is a leader" argument over who wears the C. Why do people argue it makes no difference so strongly? And usually in favour of the current captain, whether it's Naslund, Luongo or Sedin. If it makes no dofference, then why do people get so worked up over who wears the C? Personally I believe it makes a difference.

No, my fear is Gillis trades away Bieksa and we get nothing of value in return. If MG survives to the draft, he may sell off the team for prospects.

As for the "a leader is a leader" argument over who wears the C. Why do people argue it makes no difference so strongly? And usually in favour of the current captain, whether it's Naslund, Luongo or Sedin. If it makes no dofference, then why do people get so worked up over who wears the C? Personally I believe it makes a difference.

Bieksa has a NTC and doesn't want to go.

Your 2nd paragraph makes no sense. Tell me if I summarize your argument correctly: You're saying some people get worked up and say it doesn't matter who wears the C. But other people get worked up over who wears the C. Therefore it makes a big difference who wears the C.

Did I get that right?

Do you see the flawed logic?

Too casual sometimes. I can think of two examples this year that lead directly to goals where he shied away from a hit behind the net, swiped at the puck with one hand on the stick and 2 seconds later the puck was in the net.

Bieksa has a NTC and doesn't want to go.

Your 2nd paragraph makes no sense. Tell me if I summarize your argument correctly: You're saying some people get worked up and say it doesn't matter who wears the C. But other people get worked up over who wears the C. Therefore it makes a big difference who wears the C.

Did I get that right?

Do you see the flawed logic?

Heres my problem. People get very worked up over who is wearing the C if you dare mention changing it. To back their argument they then say it makes no difference who wears it. Why care? Why argue?

If they feel it makes no difference, make the stick boy the captain.

Too casual sometimes. I can think of two examples this year that lead directly to goals where he shied away from a hit behind the net, swiped at the puck with one hand on the stick and 2 seconds later the puck was in the net.

Couldn't agree more. Made himself look really bad. He reminds me more of a pretender. Canucks have a bunch of overpaid defensemen, starting from his big contracts. Being vocal doesn't necessarily mean leadership, especially in NHL.

I don't see what "your fear" has to do with my post. My post was purely about 'A' versus 'C'.

People argue over it because the trend here for years has been change for the sake of change. Some of us just don't see the reasoning as having any sense or logic to it whatsoever. Realistically I think it's just a matter of people playing their own favorites of the day. Bieksa, as I said, is a prime example of fans flavor of the day: best d-man, trade for a bag of puck, give him the C. There was an uproar over him getting an 'A'.

If you honestly think there will be some magical success if Bieksa wears the 'C' and Henrik the 'A' rather than the other way around, then I'd have to say you actually do believe in magic beans. I see it as a change for the sake of change without any actual change to the leadership group. Who do we slap that C on next should Bieksa struggle with injuries next season and the fans turn on him again? Maybe we should just move to velcro letters instead of sewing them on. That would make it much easier to keep up with whatever direction the bandwagon fan wind blows.

Bieksa has heart. He has ability. He could possibly wear the "C" well. But, don't be fooled by good talking. This guy has to walk the walk too. For my money both he and Edler are prone to too many unforced errors and turnovers, and basically just don't work hard enough or smart enough in crucial situations on the ice.

Archived