The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Maintenance Cost: Audi or BMW

OgS.MVP

Hello,

I'm in the process of buying a new car. After a month of research, I have settled down for the two brands that I found to have the style and quality that I expect of the car I drive: Audi and BMW.

In terms of maintenance, do does anyone know, which one tends to be on the higher end? From personal experience, which one tends to break more?

Thank you,

While I disagree with your choice of cars I will say this much:

Expect most of your repairs on an Audi to be electrical and most of your repairs on a BMW to be mechanical (water pumps for example are often/frequently replaced on BMW's which costs you about $1600)

If I had to pick Audi or BMW I would go with Audi

Are you buying brand new or slightly used?

I'm a univ. student and still discussing it with my parents, whether to buy slightly used or new, but I might also consider Acura.

Thats awesome how you can afford one of the two. Im a student like you and I'm getting a VW Jetta lol.

While I disagree with your choice of cars I will say this much:

Expect most of your repairs on an Audi to be electrical and most of your repairs on a BMW to be mechanical (water pumps for example are often/frequently replaced on BMW's which costs you about $1600)

If I had to pick Audi or BMW I would go with Audi

Are you buying brand new or slightly used?

I couldn't have put it any better, except I'd say it depends on the model of Audi or BMW more than the brand when you make your choice. Both are an overpriced pos when it comes to maintenance.

I can not afford, my parents can.

But I will need to handle the maintenance and everything that comes after.

Infiniti.

Or Lexus.

Presumably you want a car with some jump and style, with comfort. People call the Acura / Infiniti / Lexus "just" upbadged versions of their parent brand... but at the end of the day is that really a bad thing? Especially if you're on the hook for maintenance and repairs; Get something that won't break as often as the Germans will. And *when* the "owwwwdi" and the "break my wallet" end up in the shop, it'll hurt more.

If you want a car with some 'spiffy zip' as I call it (sedan or coupe) go get a G37 or a Lexus IS. You really can't go wrong; plus if you go anywhere and it does break down, you want to be able to have a stealership on hand to get proper parts for it. Outside of major centres, VW is about it for "ze germans".

My dad used to own a BMW X5 for about 2-3 years. The vehicle always needed maintenance, it would be at the dealership more than being at our house. He ended up selling it, over a year ago, then he bought a F150 again and got me a diesel Jetta.

Buy the Audi if you're choosing between them or BMW. The BMW is fun to drive, but you'll end up driving to the dealership almost every month.

I've had a few BMW's in the household...after 5 years sell it! or 100,000 km since major maintenance work is required.

I'd personally pass on an Audi unless it's an R or RS model (for the a4 or a5).

For Acura, you're better off purchasing a Honda Accord (EX-L or Touring). Maybe modify it a bit.

May I make a recommendation for you? Try a GTI, you'll have fun driving it and won't come across as a rich spoiled kid (forgive me for some stereotypical assumptions) although the GTI is still a pretty damn nice car for a University student. VW = Audi but not as expensive to maintain. Always find a good 1 or 2 year used one, you'll get the best bang for you parents' buck. Just because they can afford it, doesn't mean you have to spend all of it on a depreciating asset.

Other people's recommend for an Acura is good choice as well for maintenance.

I work for BMW.

They have free scheduled maintenance for 4 years or 80,000km.

All of the German car companies will cost a premium to own after warranty is up.

Then again, all parts are not cheap.

The whole electrical/mechanical concerns with the German car companies are a thing of the past.

That's why you have warranty or even get a certified pre-owned which masks the manufacturer warranty for 6 years or 160,000km

Just my two cents.

Archived