The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Worst Restaurant Delivery Experience Ever

Magikal

Cheap tipping gets you cheap service. Next time bring your own meal and be prepared if you can't tip properly. At least that's the impression I got here. Feel free to specify cost and tip amount so we can better understand.

Tipping is customary. Put it this way, if you go somewhere regularly to eat and you don't tip or tip extremely poorly, then others will be prioritized over you.

Telling low or non-tipping people not to go out to eat is a bit rough, but if those people don't get top notch service at a place that they frequent then they have no right to be surprised when the people next to them that came in five minutes later gets their food first. It's human nature.

I am strongly against the idea of tipping. Its gotten to the point where it is basically obligatory, if its basically obligatory why not just include it in the price to begin with? I was in new york last month, and the restaurant adds an 18 percent 'recommended' tip already into the bill at the end, which you can raise or lower, which is ridiculous for me. The whole nature of tipping shouldn't be obligatory. You see something in a menu for 10 dollars. End of the meal at 12 percent for tax, and 15 percent for tip and thats 12.70, 27 percent more than it says in the menu. I live in Paris right now, and that is one thing they got right here. If you see something costs 10 euros in a menu, at the end of the meal, you pay 10 euros. Tax and everything included. That is the way to do it. Having said that when Im in north america I tip between 10 and 15 percent, but always begrudgingly

I wonder of those complaining the most and demanding that those that can't afford to tip should stay home ..... declare EVERY single tip they get on their taxes?

I would rather give a 10% tip that is not declared and kept by the servers vs paying 18% or more and finding out that they didn't declare the tips - didn't pay the taxes - thus driving up my taxes to cover them not paying taxes on my tip!

Joking aside ( yes I was joking but the fact that they don't fully declare is real ) - When tipping becomes manditory and by set amounts its time to just add it to the bill and make sure its fully taxed and part of the wages. Tipping use to be a way to thank a low paid server for providing great service but has become the defacto wages and not only expected but demanded by many

Tipping is customary. Put it this way, if you go somewhere regularly to eat and you don't tip or tip extremely poorly, then others will be prioritized over you.

Telling low or non-tipping people not to go out to eat is a bit rough, but if those people don't get top notch service at a place that they frequent then they have no right to be surprised when the people next to them that came in five minutes later gets their food first. It's human nature.

And if people don't return because you treat them differently and they spread the word that you're crap, then that's no reason for surprise either.

Here's the deal...you need customers to have a business. Sure, rely on those who tip and favour them over others if you like but if you're smart, you treat all customers well in the hopes that they return. And who knows, maybe those who didn't tip for whatever reason may win the lottery or come into some good fortune and things will change. So really, you're shortchanging the business if all customers aren't viewed as important.

Again, people who own businesses are obligated to look after their employees...tipping was initially intended as a show of appreciation for good service. That's how it should be. Somewhere along the line cheap greedy business owners decided to let themselves off the hook via tips. But that doesn't mean people are obligated to cover for shortfalls.

And if people don't return because you treat them differently and they spread the word that you're crap, then that's no reason for surprise either.

Here's the deal...you need customers to have a business. Sure, rely on those who tip and favour them over others if you like but if you're smart, you treat all customers well in the hopes that they return. And who knows, maybe those who didn't tip for whatever reason may win the lottery or come into some good fortune and things will change. So really, you're shortchanging the business if all customers aren't viewed as important.

Fortunately I've never worked in a restaurant. I understand what you are saying, but it's naive to think that servers won't hold a grudge about it.

A year or two ago I once read an AMA on Reddit about this very subject. If I can find it, I'll post it. There was even one AMA that actually got some minor press coverage, because it ranked tippers by their race and restaurant workers even admitted that they treat different races differently because of the average of the tips that they get. If a food server goes that far then they most definitely stepped over a line.

Its true for the most part but I would hope not. I would hope that servers would recognize the poor seniors - the broke guy who scrapped just enough to take his lady out - and the single moms who get to take the kids out for a rare treat ... that they give them equal and friendly service. If the type of service is depended on the amount of the tip then it should be included in the price listed on the menu....

Its true for the most part but I would hope not. I would hope that servers would recognize the poor seniors - the broke guy who scrapped just enough to take his lady out - and the single moms who get to take the kids out for a rare treat ... that they give them equal and friendly service. If the type of service is depended on the amount of the tip then it should be included in the price listed on the menu....

I agree with you. If it's obvious that somebody is on a fixed income, as most older people are, then they should get good service. Any food server that disagrees is a jackass who should find another job.

I'd do what Dick Solomon did on 3rd Rock From the Sun; put the tip on the table at the beginning and then take away money for rude/poor service. You can put it back if she/he redeems him/herself.

I kid of course, but it would work wonders for modifying his/her behavior through clearly reinforced and punished actions :P

Here's a link to the semi-famous racist restaurant owner/food server Reddit AMA I mentioned in the earlier post. It's pretty friggin' harsh.

There's also just normal posts from food servers who talk about tipping.

Don't forget that on some of the posts you have to click on the "load more comments" line.

If you read it, get ready to hate food servers as a whole... lol

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/du0rw/iama_restaurant_owner_who_saved_his_business_by/

I'd do what Dick Solomon did on 3rd Rock From the Sun; put the tip on the table at the beginning and then take away money for rude/poor service. You can put it back if she/he redeems him/herself.

I kid of course, but it would work wonders for modifying his/her behavior through clearly reinforced and punished actions :P

I remember that episode!! It was hilarious... lol

Fortunately I've never worked in a restaurant. I understand what you are saying, but it's naive to think that servers won't hold a grudge about it.

servers do hold grudges on "regular" customers who order a lot of stuff, then don't tip a dime. i get that them ordering a lot of stuff keeps the restaurant going, but the servers who make less than minimum wage do kinda need those tips too

i work at a place where all our servers treat everyone equally. for the most part they don't care that much about the tips they get, but they do talk about some asshole leaving a quarter for a tip or something. i'm kitchen staff so i dont have to deal with customers on a regular basis, but i'm making a lot more than the wait staff so my tip pay is pretty slim but that doesn't bother me so much.

i wouldn't want to be a server, especially on those crazy days. i get lost failry easy in large crowds, remembering tables, making less than minimum wage, etc. only perk about that gig, depending on where you work, is having some freedom with your schedule

To be honest, if I tip a quarter, I'll also leave a note on the bill that states "your tip indicates the level of service you gave".

I'm OK with tipping servers if the service is good, and leaving a small amount if it's average. What I have an issue with is when the owner is the one doing the delivery, and isn't up front about it. Every time I find out later, I always feel cheated. And some of the things I get prompted for a tip baffle me. Chinese buffet? I served myself. Takeout? You're literally handing me my food and I'm leaving. Our work here is done. And anyone who complains about what tip I did or didn't leave never gets another cent of a tip from me. They get a chat with their manager instead.

Hi there Magikal,

My name is Efrum the General Manager of Gino's. Could you please contact me at 604-525-1071? I'd like to get some more details from you regarding who you dealt with (both the delivery driver and the person you spoke to when you called). I'd also like your details so that we can send you a gift certificate.

Sorry again for your inconvenience

sucker

To be honest, if I tip a quarter, I'll also leave a note on the bill that states "your tip indicates the level of service you gave".

there were only few instances where i've used this method, but if my service wasn't up to my expectations, i'm not tipping at all. there was this place downtown on pender, yaggers i think it was, this waitress who was serving me and my girlfriend looked like she didn't even want to serve us at all. after looking around, everyone was dressed like some hipster douche and here i come in wearing a canucks hoodie with my girl wanting some wings. this server couldn't have been more of a bitch towards me, her whole attitude towards my girlfriend was warm and welcoming, but once my girl picked up on her attitude towards me, she was like, what the frig we're not coming here again

Hi there Magikal,

My name is Efrum the General Manager of Gino's. Could you please contact me at 604-525-1071? I'd like to get some more details from you regarding who you dealt with (both the delivery driver and the person you spoke to when you called). I'd also like your details so that we can send you a gift certificate.

Sorry again for your inconvenience

sucker

Now that's taking charge of the situation. Commendable, well done.

I worked for 6 months at Pizza 73 in Edmonton a long time ago. We had 6 to 8 drivers on weekend and game nights. Maybe 12 to 15 drivers overall and every single one of them was a bit off. Any normal guy who took that job was gone within a few weeks as he would still be looking for a real job. The guys who stayed were the ones who couldnt get anything else. There were guys who had girlfriends calling threatening to kill themselves every Friday night. One guy actually came in to hand in his collections from the back of a police car on his way to lock up. Yeah, these are the guys who deliver your food. So when a guy starts going off in the parking lot about cheap tippers, maybe his girlfriend is trying to kill herself again or hes getting kicked out of his place or any one of a dozen things that happen to people living week to week on next to nothing.

A few things:

1. I worked in the restaurant industry for over 10 years. Including 3 years as a head chef and 1 year as a sever / bartender. So I know the industry, employee wages and operations of a restaurant very well. Do restaurant staff get underpaid? 95% of the time the answer is yes. Is that my fault or problem? Not at all. It is not my issue that restaurants put pressure on consumers to make up the lack of pay the workers receive due to the restaurant underpaying staff to stay afloat.

2. I top servers better then I do delivery drivers. The reason for this is due tot he amount of work. A server takes your order, juggle several tables at once, refills drinks, brings the food, cleans the table, handles payment, handles any issues with the food and often builds a strong rapport with the customers. They also hold the responsibility of ensuring the customer experience is top notch and are generally the first ones to take heat from the customer if it is not. They deserve a bigger tip because the do more work. A driver brings the food and takes your money. That is it.

3. The restaurant is a few blocks from my work and not across town as one user here suggested. Delivery drivers receive 10.25/hr (min. wage) plus tips and usually an additional sum of money to cover fuel for the vehicle they drive. Given the amount of work they do this is more than enough to compensate them. If they want more money they should look elsewhere for work.

4. There is no one named Efrum at Gino's, nice try though. I called and asked for the GM's name and it is George. If you are so bored with life Upshall18 that you ahave to pretend to be the GM of a poorly run restaurant I suggest re-evaluating your life.

5. I tipped a small amount for other reasons, not because of the poor service. Those reasons include short travel time, little to no work required and being precharged for delivery. If you add on a charge for delivery to my bill as you dont give some of that to the driver how am I to know and why should I care? As a consumer my pocket has already been dipped into to cover delivery and to ask for more ontop of that is garbage.

Again, this is coming from someone who spent years of his life in a restaurant setting and at one point lived off of tips. That being said, I provided the service to earn those tips (or the food to earn those tips). If someone with at least half the years experience I have in the industry wants to argue my position I am all ears. Anyone else who wants to argue has no ground to stand on. You are likely just someone who has been suckered into covering wages of others because their employer is the cheap one. Perhaps I should just be picking up my food from the restaurant as take out and not getting delivery, but then that driver would be out of work if we all did that now wouldn't he?

A few things:

1. I worked in the restaurant industry for over 10 years. Including 3 years as a head chef and 1 year as a sever / bartender. So I know the industry, employee wages and operations of a restaurant very well. Do restaurant staff get underpaid? 95% of the time the answer is yes. Is that my fault or problem? Not at all. It is not my issue that restaurants put pressure on consumers to make up the lack of pay the workers receive due to the restaurant underpaying staff to stay afloat.

2. I top servers better then I do delivery drivers. The reason for this is due tot he amount of work. A server takes your order, juggle several tables at once, refills drinks, brings the food, cleans the table, handles payment, handles any issues with the food and often builds a strong rapport with the customers. They also hold the responsibility of ensuring the customer experience is top notch and are generally the first ones to take heat from the customer if it is not. They deserve a bigger tip because the do more work. A driver brings the food and takes your money. That is it.

3. The restaurant is a few blocks from my work and not across town as one user here suggested. Delivery drivers receive 10.25/hr (min. wage) plus tips and usually an additional sum of money to cover fuel for the vehicle they drive. Given the amount of work they do this is more than enough to compensate them. If they want more money they should look elsewhere for work.

4. There is no one named Efrum at Gino's, nice try though. I called and asked for the GM's name and it is George. If you are so bored with life Upshall18 that you have to pretend to be the GM of a poorly run restaurant I suggest re-evaluating your life.

5. I tipped a small amount for other reasons, not because of the poor service. Those reasons include short travel time, little to no work required and being precharged for delivery. If you add on a charge for delivery to my bill as you dont give some of that to the driver how am I to know and why should I care? As a consumer my pocket has already been dipped into to cover delivery and to ask for more ontop of that is garbage.

Again, this is coming from someone who spent years of his life in a restaurant setting and at one point lived off of tips. That being said, I provided the service to earn those tips (or the food to earn those tips). If someone with at least half the years experience I have in the industry wants to argue my position I am all ears. Anyone else who wants to argue has no ground to stand on. You are likely just someone who has been suckered into covering wages of others because their employer is the cheap one. Perhaps I should just be picking up my food from the restaurant as take out and not getting delivery, but then that driver would be out of work if we all did that now wouldn't he?

Now for those calling me cheap: If I go into a restaurant and spend $350 on food for 3 and then drop 80 in tip for the server am I still cheap? No I am not. Did I tip this young kid that much who served me and my family at the Keg the other week with exceptional service and a great attitude? Damn right I did. Would he have gotten a poor tip if he gave poor service? Yup. it's all about the customer experience and the level of work/effort put into the job folks.

Archived