The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hello present CDC members, I would like to take the time today to talk about Jonas Hiller. Jonas is a remotely skilled Veteran presence that I think this organization needs. For the most part we all know that Jacob Markstrom will be sent down to Utica this coming season, simply because he's young and not really experienced. A guy like hiller would be perfect to back up Lack or share the starter role. Am I the only one who has noticed that Lack has just lost confidence? Before the Luongo trade Lack was a great stellar young competitive and aggressive net minder that could fill in once in awhile and do a heck of a job( one of the best backups in the NHL ). Now ever since the Luongo trade lack has had a bad bounce or crapy goal get by him. Even though Jonas Hiller is 32 yrs old and doesn't really fit into our '' young '' system, I still think he would be a great addition for a year or two. Plus he's currently making 4.5 million on a decent contract so it wouldn't be that hard to sign him.

Jonas Hiller stats...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonas_Hiller

Hiller also has playoff experience so assuming we make the playoffs he will know how things get done.

Cheers, canuck2 :)

I think I would rather spend 6+ million on Stastny than Hiller, even though I think we need a veteran goalie to accommodate Lack.

Ray Emery + Brian Elliott are good alternative options in my opinion.

Finding a star to play with Kesler should be the main priority.

I'm not sure 'remotely skilled' means what you think it means, but a couple of things:

1. Markstrom should be waiver eligible next year, which likely factored into why he was open to be traded this year. I doubt he'll be sent to Utica as a result, since he wouldn't end up in Utica but rather be claimed by someone.
  2. I don't know why Hiller would choose to come here and share the role with Lack (or worse, back him up and be paid as such) when there would be other teams needing a starter chasing him in free agency.
  3. Lack hasn't really lost his confidence I don't think. The team has certainly been playing a loser style to try and score more, and that's reflected in the goals against more than Lack being worse or not being confident anymore.
  4. For future reference, this would probably be better as a proposal or discussion thread in the Proposal and Armchair GMing forum, rather than in General Hockey.

I think I would rather spend 6+ million on Stastny than Hiller, even though I think we need a veteran goalie to accommodate Lack.

I'd much rather look at someone like this if we did go that route, and still be able to sign a big name UFA forward if we found a fit at the right price.

I don't think Lack has lost his confidence. I just think he has been overworked. The NHL is different ball game and to be thrown into the no. 1 position out of nowhere and start 14 games straight must be really weird and difficult.

As for Hiller, I think a veteran presence would be ideal for Lack but if Lack is to be the No. 1 guy then we should pay less than what Hiller gets. If we can get someone for maybe $2M? That would be nice. The extra money should be spent on a other needs of this team, like a top 6 guy, mobile d-men, etc.

Finding a team for Kesler to play on is more like it.

Archived